Jump to topic:

Today is the 15th anniversary of 9/11

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:23:22 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
15 years ago from this day, a group of terrorists crashed planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
In response to the events of September 11, 2001 (as well as the U.S.S. Cole Bombing one year prior, the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings, the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing, and the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing), President George W. Bush declared a "war on terror".
Since then the war has cost trillions of dollars and it has seen America invade two countries within two years. Also, the civil liberties and privacy of Americans have been reduced by the government in its efforts to fight terrorism.
That being said, the war on terror has been successful in preventing many further attacks which would've devastated our country if successful. Also, Al-Qaeda lost the capability of carrying out sophisticated, large-scale terror attacks on US soil. Poorly planned lone-wolf attacks are the norm now.

As we commemorate the anniversary of that fateful day, what are your thoughts?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:28:13 PM
At 9/11/2016 7:23:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
15 years ago from this day, a group of terrorists crashed planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.
In response to the events of September 11, 2001 (as well as the U.S.S. Cole Bombing one year prior, the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings, the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing, and the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing), President George W. Bush declared a "war on terror".
Since then the war has cost trillions of dollars and it has seen America invade two countries within two years. Also, the civil liberties and privacy of Americans have been reduced by the government in its efforts to fight terrorism.
That being said, the war on terror has been successful in preventing many further attacks which would've devastated our country if successful. Also, Al-Qaeda lost the capability of carrying out sophisticated, large-scale terror attacks on US soil. Poorly planned lone-wolf attacks are the norm now.

This is the 15th anniversary for yet another reason as to why Islam should be exterminated.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:41:26 PM
I will never forget where I was on 9/11. People my age (maybe a year younger) will be the last generation to have memory of this experience. I love the United States; this is my home and always will be so. And that day reminded, for all the terror and pain it caused, reminded us that we are all Americans. The outpouring of partiotism, love of country, and empathy for the victims attests to the fact that, however divided we may seem, we are all--at our core--Americans, be we liberals, conservatives, black, white, gay, or straight. That is something we should never forget as we engage in political discourse in this country.

9/11 is one of the most tragic events in our history, but if we are to truly honor the memory of those who died that day, we cannot forget the essential truth of our unity that their sacrifice reminded us of. Let us not just remember the tragedy, but also that truth.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:47:19 PM
9/11 was also an act of bigotry and hate. Hate against our country and our way of life.

Let us not, in our turn, become hateful of others in the same way the attackers were. Let us not blur the lines between the good guys and the bad guys. Those who would threaten us should be punished and thwarted. But, seeing enemies where there are none, becoming bigoted ourselves, or lashing out against groups of people (many of whom may be innocent of any wrongdoing themselves), makes blurs that line.

We are a great country, and we always have been; let us rise to that greatness.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 7:57:45 PM
At 9/11/2016 7:41:26 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I will never forget where I was on 9/11. People my age (maybe a year younger) will be the last generation to have memory of this experience. I love the United States; this is my home and always will be so. And that day reminded, for all the terror and pain it caused, reminded us that we are all Americans. The outpouring of partiotism, love of country, and empathy for the victims attests to the fact that, however divided we may seem, we are all--at our core--Americans, be we liberals, conservatives, black, white, gay, or straight. That is something we should never forget as we engage in political discourse in this country.

9/11 is one of the most tragic events in our history, but if we are to truly honor the memory of those who died that day, we cannot forget the essential truth of our unity that their sacrifice reminded us of. Let us not just remember the tragedy, but also that truth.

Unfortunately, I remember absolutely nothing about September 11, 2001. I wish that I did.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:07:58 PM
At 9/11/2016 7:57:45 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
Unfortunately, I remember absolutely nothing about September 11, 2001. I wish that I did.

Don't worry too much about it Vox. While I think it is good that people remember tragic events like this (in the hope that we can learn from them), I can testify to the fact that these memories are not pleasant.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:10:30 PM
At 9/11/2016 7:23:22 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

That, just like the Cold War, you can't go to war against a concept.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:16:59 PM
I was only 2 years old at the time, but I remeber seeing it on TV, and remember my dad leaving early that morning and then not coming back for a while.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:21:06 PM
Utherpenguin was actually supposed to fly the 5th plane into the giant Macy's building in New York, but since he was only a baby, he misdirected the plane and crashed into the mountains of Alberta, where he was the only survivor. His current parents found him sitting on top of some cis-scum anti-revolutionists skull, and were so proud that they took him home and are still raising him to this day.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:33:10 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:21:06 PM, Vaarka wrote:
Utherpenguin was actually supposed to fly the 5th plane into the giant Macy's building in New York, but since he was only a baby, he misdirected the plane and crashed into the mountains of Alberta, where he was the only survivor. His current parents found him sitting on top of some cis-scum anti-revolutionists skull, and were so proud that they took him home and are still raising him to this day.

Good thing I didn't land on the other side of the Rockies, otherwise I'd have grown up in the Chinese colony of overpriced weed (aka Hongcouver, BC)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:36:11 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:33:10 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Good thing I didn't land on the other side of the Rockies, otherwise I'd have grown up in the Chinese colony of overpriced weed (aka Hongcouver, BC)

You would have, considering your co-pilot was Chinese and had a slight bit of control, planning on going over the Rockies. However, you saw through his guise and locked him in the bathroom. You even made sure that the bathroom was the first thing hit by skimming a cliff that would decapitate him. To this day, they are still finding bits of his bone-marrow in the rock face.

UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 8:38:59 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:36:11 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 9/11/2016 8:33:10 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

You would have, considering your co-pilot was Chinese and had a slight bit of control, planning on going over the Rockies. However, you saw through his guise and locked him in the bathroom. You even made sure that the bathroom was the first thing hit by skimming a cliff that would decapitate him. To this day, they are still finding bits of his bone-marrow in the rock face.

Oh yeah, I know his brother. He still hasnt found out yet.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:29:47 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:16:35 PM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:
@UtherPenguin and @Vaarka

Wow, you guys are seriously joking around on a 9/11 remembrance post?
Show some respect.

Both of us are probably too young to remember it, so while we do mean to show respect, we're not really able to understand what the day was like. As such...well, we joke around in 'Remember 9/11' threads (mainly because Uther is muslim, as well as Canadian)

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:30:13 PM
At 9/11/2016 9:29:47 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Show some respect.

Both of us are probably too young to remember it, so while we do mean to show respect, we're not really able to understand what the day was like. As such...well, we joke around in 'Remember 9/11' threads (mainly because Uther is muslim, as well as Canadian)

tl;dr
We mean no disrespect. Sorry

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:10:26 PM
We never forgive and we never forget. Al Qaeda and ISIS will both pay as we will scorch them off of the face of the Earth.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 12:51:39 AM
RIP to the nearly 3,000 Americans that lost their lives on 9/11, as well as the 48,644 Afghans and 1,690,903 Iraqi and 35,000 Pakistani people that paid the ultimate price for a crime they did not commit.
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:15:51 AM
At 9/12/2016 12:51:39 AM, Semiya wrote:
RIP to the nearly 3,000 Americans that lost their lives on 9/11, as well as the 48,644 Afghans and 1,690,903 Iraqi and 35,000 Pakistani people that paid the ultimate price for a crime they did not commit.

Did those people all die on 9/11?
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:16:06 AM
At 9/11/2016 9:30:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Show some respect.

tl;dr

No worries
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 1:28:09 AM
At 9/12/2016 1:16:06 AM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:
At 9/11/2016 9:30:13 PM, Vaarka wrote:

Show some respect.

tl;dr

No worries

(Apologies from myself aswell)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 2:32:24 AM
At 9/12/2016 1:15:51 AM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:

All those people died as a result of 9/11.
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 7:25:34 PM
At 9/11/2016 8:16:59 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
I was only 2 years old at the time, but I remeber seeing it on TV, and remember my dad leaving early that morning and then not coming back for a while.

I was less than 6 months old at the time so unfortunately, I remember absolutely nothing. However I will say that it was truly an awful event. I don't even think 'awful' describes it that well, especially considering the amount of people who were affected (not just the people who died), as well the amount of money it cost and the conflict that still exists today as a result.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
Grizzly-Jones
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2016 8:11:51 PM
At 9/12/2016 2:32:24 AM, Semiya wrote:
At 9/12/2016 1:15:51 AM, Grizzly-Jones wrote:

All those people died as a result of 9/11.

Source.