Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

What is the most annoying logical fallacy?

Jry2001
Posts: 45
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:17:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
To me, the most annoying error people make in debates is to dismiss legitimate comparisons or relevant facts as irrelevant.

For instance:

Person A: We have a moral obligation to help Syrian refugees because, through wars like the one in Iraq, we destabilized the region, causing the problems that caused them to become refugees in the first place.

Person B: We aren't talking about the Iraq war, we're talking about Syrian refugees. Hurr, durr.

Person A: Saying that evolution isn't a science because some people disagree about it is like saying that paintings don't exist because they're made using paint. Science, by definiton, involves disagreement and skepticism.

Person B: But we aren't talking about paintings, hurr, durr.
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:33:29 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Ado hominem or personal attacks.

With most other fallacies, strawman, appeal to nature et cetera, it is very possible to commit them by accident. You may strawman your opponents views not by malicious intent but from a genuine misunderstanding of your opponents position. You may make an appeal to nature not out of malicious intent but due to a perfectly human bias towards whatever is considered "natural".

Ad hom attacks however, are a different story. Because most ad homs are a deliberate attack on your opponent, shifting the subject of the debate from critical discourse to personal sentimentality. And one of the worse things you could do in any debate (or professional setting in general) is make things personal.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,573
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
1harderthanyouthink
Posts: 13,102
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:43:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Shifting the burden of proof and moving the goalposts.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:44:41 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
*facepalm*
Non sequitur (does not follow) simply means that your argument isn't valid.

Your most common error is the informal fallacy.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,573
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:47:25 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:44:41 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
*facepalm*
Non sequitur (does not follow) simply means that your argument isn't valid.

Your most common error is the informal fallacy.

The Non-Sequitur fallacy makes a conclusion that does not follow the premises. It is a legitimate fallacy, regardless of it's formality.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:53:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:47:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:44:41 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
*facepalm*
Non sequitur (does not follow) simply means that your argument isn't valid.

Your most common error is the informal fallacy.

The Non-Sequitur fallacy makes a conclusion that does not follow the premises. It is a legitimate fallacy, regardless of it's formality.
*facepalm*
I'll rewrite this and see if you get it the second time.

Non sequitur isn't a fallacy. Non sequitur is used to show the irrelevancy or error of a conclusion. As such, it is a term used to refer to a logical fallacy, but it doesn't constitute a logical fallacy by itself.
The-Voice-of-Truth
Posts: 6,573
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:04:06 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:53:34 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:47:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:44:41 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
*facepalm*
Non sequitur (does not follow) simply means that your argument isn't valid.

Your most common error is the informal fallacy.

The Non-Sequitur fallacy makes a conclusion that does not follow the premises. It is a legitimate fallacy, regardless of it's formality.
*facepalm*
I'll rewrite this and see if you get it the second time.

Non sequitur isn't a fallacy. Non sequitur is used to show the irrelevancy or error of a conclusion. As such, it is a term used to refer to a logical fallacy, but it doesn't constitute a logical fallacy by itself.

I have always seen it referred to as a fallacy itself, but I see what you mean.
Suh dude

"Because we all know who the most important snowflake in the wasteland is... It's YOU, champ! You're a special snowflake." -Vaarka, 01:30 in the hangouts

"Screw laying siege to Korea. That usually takes an hour or so." -Vaarka

"Crap, what is my religion again?" -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:07:05 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
The most annoying has to be the use of circular logic.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,092
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:11:04 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
The Australia fallacy. It's when someone claims there's a 7th continent right below Asia and tries to use it in arguments. Most of the time, they refer to it as "Australia", hence the name.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
n7
Posts: 1,360
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 11:47:31 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Hasty generalization. Everyone who makes it is evil.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.


Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
RainbowDash52
Posts: 294
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:05:46 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I find the fallacy fallacy the most annoying. For example, person A argues why there is a 99.999 percent chance he is right and therefore fulfils burden of proof, and person B correctly points out that was an appeal to probability fallacy, but commits the fallacy fallacy. Most arguments are probabilistic, so fallacies aren't always applicable, so using the fallacy fallacy to dismiss others' fallacies which rely on probability is bad.
ethang5
Posts: 4,117
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 11:47:46 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 11:47:31 PM, n7 wrote:

Hasty generalization. Everyone who makes it is evil.

That was funny.

Appeal to credulity fallacy.

"I can't/don't believe it", so therefore it cannot be true.
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 12:08:03 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 9:11:04 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
The Australia fallacy. It's when someone claims there's a 7th continent right below Asia and tries to use it in arguments. Most of the time, they refer to it as "Australia", hence the name.

Yankies use false maps:
http://www.jamesborrell.com...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
GoogooGaga
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 12:11:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
When people go herpaderp logical fallacy waa waa instead of actually debating what you said.
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
ThinkBig
Posts: 1,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:22:50 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/21/2016 2:46:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Godwin's law

You're just saying that because you're a Nazi!
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:23:35 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/21/2016 3:22:50 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 9/21/2016 2:46:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Godwin's law

You're just saying that because you're a Nazi!

hoitler dindu nuffin wrong
ThinkBig
Posts: 1,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:26:54 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/21/2016 3:23:35 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 9/21/2016 3:22:50 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 9/21/2016 2:46:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Godwin's law

You're just saying that because you're a Nazi!

hoitler dindu nuffin wrong

Sig.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
triangle.128k
Posts: 3,675
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2016 3:30:09 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/21/2016 3:26:54 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 9/21/2016 3:23:35 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 9/21/2016 3:22:50 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 9/21/2016 2:46:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:
Godwin's law

You're just saying that because you're a Nazi!

hoitler dindu nuffin wrong

Sig.

aww damn it now I look like a neo-Nazi
sadolite
Posts: 8,842
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2016 10:32:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 9:07:05 PM, missmozart wrote:
The most annoying has to be the use of circular logic.

Bump
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Death23
Posts: 783
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 2:42:07 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:17:12 PM, Jry2001 wrote:
To me, the most annoying error people make in debates is to dismiss legitimate comparisons or relevant facts as irrelevant.

For instance:

Person A: We have a moral obligation to help Syrian refugees because, through wars like the one in Iraq, we destabilized the region, causing the problems that caused them to become refugees in the first place.

Person B: We aren't talking about the Iraq war, we're talking about Syrian refugees. Hurr, durr.

Person A: Saying that evolution isn't a science because some people disagree about it is like saying that paintings don't exist because they're made using paint. Science, by definiton, involves disagreement and skepticism.

Person B: But we aren't talking about paintings, hurr, durr.

Probably tu quo que and strawman. Mostly because they're so pervasive, and so successful.
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,011
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 3:03:33 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:17:12 PM, Jry2001 wrote:
To me, the most annoying error people make in debates is to dismiss legitimate comparisons or relevant facts as irrelevant.

For instance:

Person A: We have a moral obligation to help Syrian refugees because, through wars like the one in Iraq, we destabilized the region, causing the problems that caused them to become refugees in the first place.

Person B: We aren't talking about the Iraq war, we're talking about Syrian refugees. Hurr, durr.

Person A: Saying that evolution isn't a science because some people disagree about it is like saying that paintings don't exist because they're made using paint. Science, by definiton, involves disagreement and skepticism.

Person B: But we aren't talking about paintings, hurr, durr.

Ad hominem attacks.
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
johnlubba
Posts: 2,892
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 7:36:40 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/18/2016 8:47:25 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:44:41 PM, NHN wrote:
At 9/18/2016 8:38:58 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
The one I'm most guilty of: Non-Sequitur
*facepalm*
Non sequitur (does not follow) simply means that your argument isn't valid.

Your most common error is the informal fallacy.

The Non-Sequitur fallacy makes a conclusion that does not follow the premises. It is a legitimate fallacy, regardless of it's formality.

Non sequitur
MattTheDreamer
Posts: 1,404
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 8:50:29 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
No true Scotsman and Straw-man are definitely the most "annoying" but certainly not the worst.
Ad hominen is the most pathetic.

I'd say Nirvana fallacy is the worst though. I see it a lot when talking to Socialists and Anarchists.