Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDOlympics Team Fanfic: Mean Girls Part III*

ShabShoral
Posts: 3,236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:14:05 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
7th: Wow, your profile is really nice
Thett: I know, right?
Skep: Wait until you see his dad's a$$ implants. They're hard as rock.
Sadolite: Hey, hey, hey, how are my best boyfriends?
Skep: Hello Mr. Three, this is 7th
Sadolite: Hello sweetheart.
7th: Hi
Sadolite: Welcome to our profile. I just want you to know, if you need anyone, let me know. There are no rules, I'm not like a regular dad, I'm a cool dad, right Thett?
Thett: Please stop talking!
Sadolite: Accept my friend request! I'm going to make you boys a hump day treat!
Thett: Let"s go listen to the Daily Shoah. 7th, do you even know what the alt right is?
7th: Um, some kind of indie bookstore?
Thett: Ugh, I love him, he's such a normie.
Bossy: God, I'm part asian!
Skep: Oh please, I'm a f@g.
Thett: At least you guys can join the alt right. I've got a Jew in the woodpile!
7th: I used to think there were just "huWhites" and "non-huWhites", but apparently there are a lot of things that hamper your ability to be an edgy shitlord.
Skep: I'm attracted to undocumented immigrant men.
Thett: My nose is huge!
Bossy: I don't want to further pollute the white gene pool!
7th: I like High School Musical.
Bossy: Ew.
Sadolite: Hey you guys, fashy hour is from four to six! Who wants a Pinochet Daiquiri?
7th: Is there alcohol in this?
Sadolite: Oh God, honey, no what kind of father do you think I am? Why, do you want a little bit? Because if you're going to drink, I'd rather you do it in the house.
7th: No, thank you.
Sadolite: Okay. So, you guys, what is the 411? What has everyone been up to? What is the hot gossip? Tell me everything. What edgy radio shows are you guys listening to? What are all the dank may-mays?
Thett: Dad, can you go fix your sig?
Sadolite: Okay. You boys keep me young, ugh, I love you so much.
Bossy: Oh my god, I remember this!
Thett: Ugh, I haven't looked at that in *forever*.
Skep: Here, check it out 7th. It's our burn book. We cut and paste people's profile pictures into a google doc and wrote comments:

Rosalie: Totally weird. Feminism pusher.
TN05: Cuck. Sad!
Bsh1: Too gay to function
YYW: Shitlib. Obsessed with me.
000Ike: Fat virgin
NHN: Made out with a hot dog
lannan13: Slept with Coach Latham
Whiteflame: Has an amazing ability to suppress his gag reflex.

Thett: It's like I can't trust anyone anymore!
GreyParrot: Why are you posting those Pepe's?
Thett: 7th has been sending me them.
GreyParrot: Those are from r/politics
Thett: Motherfu- REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thett: *furiously writing* This guy is the nastiest, most cucked shitlib I've ever met... DO NOT TRUST HIM. He is a fugly sl ut.

Rosalie: Well, I don't know who wrote this book, but you all have got to stop calling each other cucks and shitlibs. It just makes it okay for guys to call you cucks and shitlibs. Who here has ever been called a cuck?

Okay, everybody up.

7th: Rosalie had us write out apologies to people that we'd hurt in our lives.

DylanCatlow: Fkkize, I'm sorry I called you a sophist b!tch. It's not your fault you're so much of a sophist.

Bossy: Thett, I'm sorry I laughed at you that time you said the NAP was dumb in your immigration debate. And I'm sorry I told everyone about it. And I'm sorry for repeating it now.

TBR: Bronto, I don't love you because you're retarded, you're retarded because I love you.

Larz: I just wish we could all get along like we used to on createdebate. I wish that I could create a site made out of rainbows and smiles, and we'd all use it and be happy.
Bsh1: He doesn't even go here!
Airmax1227: Ay boy, you even fvck wit us?
Larz: No. I just have a lot of feelings.
Airmax1227: Get yo a$$ outta here.
Airmax1227: Rosalie, I dig the poppin' job you'se been doin', home slice.
Rosalie: Thanks. I feel like I'm getting through.
Skep: I'm sorry that people are so jealous of me. But I can't help it that I'm popular!

YYW: At certain times, it becomes necessary to apologise. This is one of those times. It happens that I have a certain friend who is a new student this year. I persuaded her that it would be reasonable to sabotage Thett 3's life. I had her pretend to be friends with Thett. She would come to my house, and we would just lol" lol about all the irrelevant and objectively wrong things which Thett said. We gave him these irrelevant Pepe memes from r/politics, and we turned his best friends against him, and him falling for that doesn't even rise to the level of idiocy. And then... Oh, yeah, 7th... You're aware of my friend 7th. He made out with Thett's boyfriend Romani and then convinced him to break up with him.

Oh, God, and we gave you pages of accurate, cutting, prescient, objectively brilliant psychoanalysis instead of direct rebuttals to your arguments.

God! I am deeply sorry, Thett. I don't know why I did it, but I cannot let this go unrectified.

I guess it's probably because I've got a big SHITLIB crush on you.

Suck on that, and reflect on your life. Think about why no one here respects you, and why no one here believes that your posts are worthwhile, unlike mine!

Rosalie got hit by a bus.
TBR got hit by a bus.
000ike got hit by a bus.
Semiya got hit by a bus.
Bennet91 got hit by a bus.
NHN got hit by a bus.
Slo1 got hit by a bus.
Kbub got hit by a bus.
Ford_Prefect got hit by a bus.
ResponsiblyIrresponsible got hit by a bus.
Double_R got hit by a bus.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
missbailey8
Posts: 1,881
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 4:49:17 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
That...was...beautiful.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com...
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 11:25:10 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Part 1: http://www.debate.org...
Part 2: http://www.debate.org...
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 2:09:07 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
"Thett: Let"s go listen to the Daily Shoah. 7th, do you even know what the alt right is?
7th: Um, some kind of indie bookstore?
Thett: Ugh, I love him, he's such a normie.
Bossy: God, I'm part asian!
Skep: Oh please, I'm a f@g.
Thett: At least you guys can join the alt right. I've got a Jew in the woodpile!
7th: I used to think there were just "huWhites" and "non-huWhites", but apparently there are a lot of things that hamper your ability to be an edgy shitlord.
Skep: I'm attracted to undocumented immigrant men.
Thett: My nose is huge!
Bossy: I don't want to further pollute the white gene pool!
7th: I like High School Musical.
Bossy: Ew."

This segment is more than just a Mean Girls quote but rather is commentary on the alt-right itself.

The characters can never be what they want to be. Bossy's will never make white children. Skep's degeneracy will never be suppressed by society. My children will always duplicitous and shekel loving.

Just as the characters can never be the people they want to be, the alt-right can never achieve its ideal world. The world that they want it to be, that they pretend it is, is the world of the WASP aristocrats--a world where we have discussions about who is or isn't huhwyte and you would be embarrassed if your daughter married an Italian. The reality is a world of Thett's, Skep's, and Bossy's.

Enter the proverbial normie: "I used to think there were just "huWhites" and "non-huWhites". 7th represents both the everyman, and reality itself. Because the normie, by not caring about politics, lives in reality. 7th hasn't spent hours listening to edgy podcasts. 7th has never read Evola. 7th has never posted a single pepe meme in the comments section of National Review. 7th has never called anyone a cuck. And yet, his instinctive analysis of the situation is more accurate than the edgiest of shitlords.

tl;dr version: I should just go back to LARPing about being a pirate
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:57:35 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/19/2016 2:09:07 PM, thett3 wrote:
"Thett: Let"s go listen to the Daily Shoah. 7th, do you even know what the alt right is?
7th: Um, some kind of indie bookstore?
Thett: Ugh, I love him, he's such a normie.
Bossy: God, I'm part asian!
Skep: Oh please, I'm a f@g.
Thett: At least you guys can join the alt right. I've got a Jew in the woodpile!
7th: I used to think there were just "huWhites" and "non-huWhites", but apparently there are a lot of things that hamper your ability to be an edgy shitlord.
Skep: I'm attracted to undocumented immigrant men.
Thett: My nose is huge!
Bossy: I don't want to further pollute the white gene pool!
7th: I like High School Musical.
Bossy: Ew."

This segment is more than just a Mean Girls quote but rather is commentary on the alt-right itself.

The characters can never be what they want to be. Bossy's will never make white children. Skep's degeneracy will never be suppressed by society. My children will always duplicitous and shekel loving.

Just as the characters can never be the people they want to be, the alt-right can never achieve its ideal world. The world that they want it to be, that they pretend it is, is the world of the WASP aristocrats--a world where we have discussions about who is or isn't huhwyte and you would be embarrassed if your daughter married an Italian. The reality is a world of Thett's, Skep's, and Bossy's.

Enter the proverbial normie: "I used to think there were just "huWhites" and "non-huWhites". 7th represents both the everyman, and reality itself. Because the normie, by not caring about politics, lives in reality. 7th hasn't spent hours listening to edgy podcasts. 7th has never read Evola. 7th has never posted a single pepe meme in the comments section of National Review. 7th has never called anyone a cuck. And yet, his instinctive analysis of the situation is more accurate than the edgiest of shitlords.

tl;dr version: I should just go back to LARPing about being a pirate

I think that a lot of that mindset has to do with the idea of 'white annihilation' and the psychological baggage behind the 'one drop rule'. Because the genetics for darker skin pigment show clearly, identitarian white people see that as a 'destruction' of one's whiteness further down the line. It's also why racial solidarity comes so much easier to blacks: they were literally cast out of white society and designated as 'black'. That same mentality has become ingrained and projected onto any sort of non-white genetics. If whites are going to have ethnic solidarity, the only way to do that effectively is to use culture to 'settle' the dispute over whether someone is white and to stop ridiculous purity spiraling.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 3:57:35 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:


I think that a lot of that mindset has to do with the idea of 'white annihilation' and the psychological baggage behind the 'one drop rule'. Because the genetics for darker skin pigment show clearly, identitarian white people see that as a 'destruction' of one's whiteness further down the line. It's also why racial solidarity comes so much easier to blacks: they were literally cast out of white society and designated as 'black'. That same mentality has become ingrained and projected onto any sort of non-white genetics. If whites are going to have ethnic solidarity, the only way to do that effectively is to use culture to 'settle' the dispute over whether someone is white and to stop ridiculous purity spiraling.

White nationalism isn't a feasible idea for a lot of reasons, but the United States basically destroys it as a concept. The US was founded as an explicitly white, pan-European nation. The whites who lived in the US did not have enough in common to keep it together--in less than a century they were butchering each other in the hundreds of thousands. A century after that they destroyed any ethnic cohesion this country managed to cobble together.

It's a stupid argument, but people saying "well the IRISH werent considered white so we can assimilate millions of foreigners without a problem!!!1!1!1" are almost half right. Nobody seriously thought the Irish or the Polish or whoever weren't white, but they did stick out of mainstream society like a sore thumb. Many cities, especially New York, were virtually in a state of low level civil war for decades. It's not something we want to emulate again.

But eventually those differences faded away. Why? The formation of a "white" american identity, to the extent that it exists, was the result of the crack-up of the urban ethnic neighborhoods in the 20th century. The assimilation of white ethnics was done through measures such as building highways through ethnic enclaves, beating the sh1t out of kids who were caught speaking a language other than English, aggressively enforcing American norms in the schools, and destroying local autonomy. Oh, so we managed to assimilate the Irish and the Polish? Well, you don't have half the balls that they had back then.

And even then, the country changed bigly. Virtually no trace of the anglo-saxon republic that the founders created exists today.

That is the result of a "white nationalist" country. It fails as a concept because it would be okay with the British being replaced by Polish and Romanian people just because they're white. That's obviously stupid. The real answer is to focus on local community and culture--any race is too diverse a group to form a coherent nation around. What's more persuasive:

We shouldn't import millions of Afghani's and Syrians here because they're a totally alien people who don't belong here, or because they aren't huhwyte?

tl;dr: Bill the Butcher from "Gangs of New York" was right about everything
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
NHN
Posts: 624
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 2:58:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM, thett3 wrote:
The real answer is to focus on local community and culture--any race is too diverse a group to form a coherent nation around.
A clear and coherent vision. Primordial. Not a shred of the alt-light stuff and its appeal to the rabble.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:00:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 4:14:49 AM, YYW wrote:
This is art. I approve.

This is more of an honor than any "gold medal" ever could be.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 3:33:53 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 3:57:35 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:


I think that a lot of that mindset has to do with the idea of 'white annihilation' and the psychological baggage behind the 'one drop rule'. Because the genetics for darker skin pigment show clearly, identitarian white people see that as a 'destruction' of one's whiteness further down the line. It's also why racial solidarity comes so much easier to blacks: they were literally cast out of white society and designated as 'black'. That same mentality has become ingrained and projected onto any sort of non-white genetics. If whites are going to have ethnic solidarity, the only way to do that effectively is to use culture to 'settle' the dispute over whether someone is white and to stop ridiculous purity spiraling.

That is the result of a "white nationalist" country. It fails as a concept because it would be okay with the British being replaced by Polish and Romanian people just because they're white. That's obviously stupid. The real answer is to focus on local community and culture--any race is too diverse a group to form a coherent nation around.

I definitely agree with everything that you've said.

I think that a lot of this also has to do with United States geopolitics. A blood and soil connection is more than skin deep; it has to do with a people living on the same land and forming a visceral connection to it. It involves myth, family, culture, and institutions. The US was founded by people who didn't have that connection. Those who did establish it never remained long, because they were displaced by mass immigration, urbanization, and the settling of the American west. Our country is still in many ways one big hodgepodge diaspora, scattered to the four winds, with no connection to the land or to much of any common culture. My family has lived in my area going back dozens of generations; that is exceptionally rare in this day and age. People treat humans like migratory birds; we're expected to leave the nest and scatter to the four winds as soon as we can fly. For this reason, even though my extended family, with its deep roots, has existed here for so long, it will probably vanish in a few generations as all of the young people move away. It's why there's no real sense of community or culture, why everything feels so horribly vapid and deracinated. Our current hyper-capitalist, materialist society has bloated to horrific proportions in this bleak cultural void.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 3:33:53 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 3:57:35 AM, Skepsikyma wrote:


I think that a lot of that mindset has to do with the idea of 'white annihilation' and the psychological baggage behind the 'one drop rule'. Because the genetics for darker skin pigment show clearly, identitarian white people see that as a 'destruction' of one's whiteness further down the line. It's also why racial solidarity comes so much easier to blacks: they were literally cast out of white society and designated as 'black'. That same mentality has become ingrained and projected onto any sort of non-white genetics. If whites are going to have ethnic solidarity, the only way to do that effectively is to use culture to 'settle' the dispute over whether someone is white and to stop ridiculous purity spiraling.

That is the result of a "white nationalist" country. It fails as a concept because it would be okay with the British being replaced by Polish and Romanian people just because they're white. That's obviously stupid. The real answer is to focus on local community and culture--any race is too diverse a group to form a coherent nation around.

I definitely agree with everything that you've said.

I think that a lot of this also has to do with United States geopolitics. A blood and soil connection is more than skin deep; it has to do with a people living on the same land and forming a visceral connection to it. It involves myth, family, culture, and institutions. The US was founded by people who didn't have that connection. Those who did establish it never remained long, because they were displaced by mass immigration, urbanization, and the settling of the American west. Our country is still in many ways one big hodgepodge diaspora, scattered to the four winds, with no connection to the land or to much of any common culture. My family has lived in my area going back dozens of generations; that is exceptionally rare in this day and age. People treat humans like migratory birds; we're expected to leave the nest and scatter to the four winds as soon as we can fly. For this reason, even though my extended family, with its deep roots, has existed here for so long, it will probably vanish in a few generations as all of the young people move away. It's why there's no real sense of community or culture, why everything feels so horribly vapid and deracinated. Our current hyper-capitalist, materialist society has bloated to horrific proportions in this bleak cultural void.

Garbage.

Humans have always been migratory, have always mixed and changed and altered culture as geopolitical conditions change. Where is this mythic old society where the blood and soil connection runs deep and pure, unfettered by a collision of cultures and migration? Certainly not in Europe. The best candidate would probably be Africa or the Middle East, maybe South America. There is no "cultural void," except where the old ways of living have become outdated. This attitude is exemplified by coal miners who complain that its politics, "cultural" shifts, and elitists that are causing their industry to fade. In fact its pure market forces, forces that are a boon to a different portion of the working class, that are causing basic economic shifts. You can complain about the forces that are making your old way of life unsustainable, or you can adapt.

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

This sentiment is no different from normal nostalgia- a longing for a fictional past that never existed.
Skepsikyma
Posts: 8,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:29:48 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 3:33:53 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

That is the result of a "white nationalist" country. It fails as a concept because it would be okay with the British being replaced by Polish and Romanian people just because they're white. That's obviously stupid. The real answer is to focus on local community and culture--any race is too diverse a group to form a coherent nation around.

I definitely agree with everything that you've said.

I think that a lot of this also has to do with United States geopolitics. A blood and soil connection is more than skin deep; it has to do with a people living on the same land and forming a visceral connection to it. It involves myth, family, culture, and institutions. The US was founded by people who didn't have that connection. Those who did establish it never remained long, because they were displaced by mass immigration, urbanization, and the settling of the American west. Our country is still in many ways one big hodgepodge diaspora, scattered to the four winds, with no connection to the land or to much of any common culture. My family has lived in my area going back dozens of generations; that is exceptionally rare in this day and age. People treat humans like migratory birds; we're expected to leave the nest and scatter to the four winds as soon as we can fly. For this reason, even though my extended family, with its deep roots, has existed here for so long, it will probably vanish in a few generations as all of the young people move away. It's why there's no real sense of community or culture, why everything feels so horribly vapid and deracinated. Our current hyper-capitalist, materialist society has bloated to horrific proportions in this bleak cultural void.

Garbage.

Humans have always been migratory, have always mixed and changed and altered culture as geopolitical conditions change. Where is this mythic old society where the blood and soil connection runs deep and pure, unfettered by a collision of cultures and migration?

You're attacking a straw man, I never claimed that any of this is absolute or pure. It's something that slowly grows when a group of people settle into a piece of land and begin to cultivate an attachment to it.

Certainly not in Europe.

Look at the Irish, the Basque, Gascony, etc. I certainly agree that large swathes of Europe suffers from cultural malady, but there are more traditional areas. For a fantastic example, look at the people of the Azores, who brought their traditions from Portugal under persecution centuries ago to establish a new colony. Reading Mark Twain's journal entries during his journey abroad really highlights how alien their way of life was to an American.

The best candidate would probably be Africa or the Middle East, maybe South America.

Maybe the Middle East a century ago; their culture is in many places in shambles, unfortunately due largely to a toxic stew of cynical Western geopolitical manipulation and misguided idealism.

There is no "cultural void," except where the old ways of living have become outdated. This attitude is exemplified by coal miners who complain that its politics, "cultural" shifts, and elitists that are causing their industry to fade. In fact its pure market forces, forces that are a boon to a different portion of the working class, that are causing basic economic shifts. You can complain about the forces that are making your old way of life unsustainable, or you can adapt.

The idea that we're on a set path of 'progress' and that history is unidirectional is a fallacy born out of typical Whiggish interpretations.

'It is very currently suggested that the modern man is the heir of all the ages, that he has got the good out of these successive human experiments. I know not what to say in answer to this, except to ask the reader to look at the modern man, as I have just looked at the modern man -- in the looking-glass. Is it really true that you and I are two starry towers built up of all the most towering visions of the past? Have we really fulfilled all the great historic ideals one after the other, from our naked ancestor who was brave enough to kill a mammoth with a stone knife, through the Greek citizen and the Christian saint to our own grandfather or great-grandfather, who may have been sabred by the Manchester Yeomanry or shot in the '48? Are we still strong enough to spear mammoths, but now tender enough to spare them? Does the cosmos contain any mammoth that we have either speared or spared? When we decline (in a marked manner) to fly the red flag and fire across a barricade like our grandfathers, are we really declining in deference to sociologists -- or to soldiers? Have we indeed outstripped the warrior and passed the ascetical saint? I fear we only outstrip the warrior in the sense that we should probably run away from him. And if we have passed the saint, I fear we have passed him without bowing.

This is, first and foremost, what I mean by the narrowness of the new ideas, the limiting effect of the future. Our modern prophetic idealism is narrow because it has undergone a persistent process of elimination. We must ask for new things because we are not allowed to ask for old things. The whole position is based on this idea that we have got all the good that can be got out of the ideas of the past. But we have not got all the good out of them, perhaps at this moment not any of the good out of them. And the need here is a need of complete freedom for restoration as well as revolution.

We often read nowadays of the valor or audacity with which some rebel attacks a hoary tyranny or an antiquated superstition. There is not really any courage at all in attacking hoary or antiquated things, any more than in offering to fight one's grandmother. The really courageous man is he who defies tyrannies young as the morning and superstitions fresh as the first flowers. The only true free-thinker is he whose intellect is as much free from the future as from the past. He cares as little for what will be as for what has been; he cares only for what ought to be. And for my present purpose I specially insist on this abstract independence. If I am to discuss what is wrong, one of the first things that are wrong is this: the deep and silent modern assumption that past things have become impossible. There is one metaphor of which the moderns are very fond; they are always saying, 'You can't put the clock back.' The simple and obvious answer is 'You can.' A clock, being a piece of human construction, can be restored by the human finger to any figure or hour. In the same way society, being a piece of human construction, can be reconstructed upon any plan that has ever existed."
- G. K. Chesterton

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

We're using completely different definitions of the word 'culture'. I'm using it to refer to what C. S. Lewis called 'the Tao'. You're using it to refer to the products of the human imagination.

This sentiment is no different from normal nostalgia- a longing for a fictional past that never existed.

Only if you straw man it.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:36:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

The fact that someone as smart as you can make a post like this proves Skep is 100% correct.

"Okay, so there's no blood and soil connection to the land, no sense of solidarity with your neighbors, absurd amounts of polarization, and rampant degeneracy...but I can find podcasts that I like!"

Clown world.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:43:15 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:36:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

The fact that someone as smart as you can make a post like this proves Skep is 100% correct.

"Okay, so there's no blood and soil connection to the land, no sense of solidarity with your neighbors, absurd amounts of polarization, and rampant degeneracy...but I can find podcasts that I like!"

Clown world.

Thats a mischaracterization of my point. What is absurd about considering digital media "culture." I can 100% say podcasts enrich my life and are a deep cultural well.

I addressed the blood and soil issue separately. I dispute the characterization of "degeneracy" with something unrelated to podcasts.

So yeah, when you totally rearrange what I say, I guess my point is pretty dumb.
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 5:56:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:43:15 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:36:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

The fact that someone as smart as you can make a post like this proves Skep is 100% correct.

"Okay, so there's no blood and soil connection to the land, no sense of solidarity with your neighbors, absurd amounts of polarization, and rampant degeneracy...but I can find podcasts that I like!"

Clown world.

Thats a mischaracterization of my point. What is absurd about considering digital media "culture." I can 100% say podcasts enrich my life and are a deep cultural well.

There is no such thing--even you, in making your point, put digital "culture" in parentheses because you subconsciously know that the concept is ridiculous. Internet social interaction is, at most, a simulation of the real thing.

To compare podcasts to the civil society of kinship, neighborliness, and social trust that our grandparents enjoyed is absurd. That kind of social experience is not something that can be emulated online, and the fact that you think the two things are even remotely comparable shows that you have no idea what you're missing. And I don't blame you, it's not your fault. But it shows how far we've fallen


I addressed the blood and soil issue separately.

I assumed you were joking. Because of ancient migrations, somebody whose family has lived in the same town for a dozen generations has no "blood and soil" connection to the land? This is just a radical deconstruction of the concept of identity, not a serious argument.

The rootlessness of the American experience is part of what made the country so susceptible to dehumanizing global capitalism. The American people lacked the necessary cultural antibodies to resist

I dispute the characterization of "degeneracy" with something unrelated to podcasts.

So yeah, when you totally rearrange what I say, I guess my point is pretty dumb.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 6:13:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:29:48 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 3:33:53 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 9/24/2016 2:45:55 PM, thett3 wrote:

Humans have always been migratory, have always mixed and changed and altered culture as geopolitical conditions change. Where is this mythic old society where the blood and soil connection runs deep and pure, unfettered by a collision of cultures and migration?

You're attacking a straw man, I never claimed that any of this is absolute or pure. It's something that slowly grows when a group of people settle into a piece of land and begin to cultivate an attachment to it.


I would say America fits that category then. Shoot, even individual city neighborhoods fit that characterization. I bet it would take me 5 minutes to walk outside and find someone with a tattoo of my city flag on it.

Migration and shifting demographics are not antithetical to forming cultural attachment to communities/"the land."

I would also argue we have long been in a world where communities are centered around non-geographical attachments.

Certainly not in Europe.

Look at the Irish, the Basque, Gascony, etc. I certainly agree that large swathes of Europe suffers from cultural malady, but there are more traditional areas. For a fantastic example, look at the people of the Azores, who brought their traditions from Portugal under persecution centuries ago to establish a new colony. Reading Mark Twain's journal entries during his journey abroad really highlights how alien their way of life was to an American.


I never said Europe suffers from malady. My point is human history consists of mass migration, the old communities were formed from cultural collision and cultural evolution.

America is definitely a special case in cultural fusion, but even the cases you list show that demographic and cultural shifts are the norm. Irish culture and demographics are the product of collision, conflict, redefinition through contact with Vikings, mainland Europeans, Romans, and Christianity. The region has gone through periods of belonging to different larger governmental entities.

The best candidate would probably be Africa or the Middle East, maybe South America.

Maybe the Middle East a century ago; their culture is in many places in shambles, unfortunately due largely to a toxic stew of cynical Western geopolitical manipulation and misguided idealism.

There is no "cultural void," except where the old ways of living have become outdated. This attitude is exemplified by coal miners who complain that its politics, "cultural" shifts, and elitists that are causing their industry to fade. In fact its pure market forces, forces that are a boon to a different portion of the working class, that are causing basic economic shifts. You can complain about the forces that are making your old way of life unsustainable, or you can adapt.

The idea that we're on a set path of 'progress' and that history is unidirectional is a fallacy born out of typical Whiggish interpretations.


That isn't my view, I don't believe in inevitable progress, though I do believe we have been incredibly successful in the past centuries. My view is that culture and society constantly change, and that change is made up of our own decisions and reactions. The impulse to pine for the past is not productive in figuring out how to evolve.

'It is very currently suggested that the modern man is the heir of all the ages, that he has got the good out of these successive human experiments. I know not what to say in answer to this, except to ask the reader to look at the modern man, as I have just looked at the modern man -- in the looking-glass. Is it really true that you and I are two starry towers built up of all the most towering visions of the past? Have we really fulfilled all the great historic ideals one after the other, from our naked ancestor who was brave enough to kill a mammoth with a stone knife, through the Greek citizen and the Christian saint to our own grandfather or great-grandfather, who may have been sabred by the Manchester Yeomanry or shot in the '48? Are we still strong enough to spear mammoths, but now tender enough to spare them? Does the cosmos contain any mammoth that we have either speared or spared? When we decline (in a marked manner) to fly the red flag and fire across a barricade like our grandfathers, are we really declining in deference to sociologists -- or to soldiers? Have we indeed outstripped the warrior and passed the ascetical saint? I fear we only outstrip the warrior in the sense that we should probably run away from him. And if we have passed the saint, I fear we have passed him without bowing.

This is, first and foremost, what I mean by the narrowness of the new ideas, the limiting effect of the future. Our modern prophetic idealism is narrow because it has undergone a persistent process of elimination. We must ask for new things because we are not allowed to ask for old things. The whole position is based on this idea that we have got all the good that can be got out of the ideas of the past. But we have not got all the good out of them, perhaps at this moment not any of the good out of them. And the need here is a need of complete freedom for restoration as well as revolution.

We often read nowadays of the valor or audacity with which some rebel attacks a hoary tyranny or an antiquated superstition. There is not really any courage at all in attacking hoary or antiquated things, any more than in offering to fight one's grandmother. The really courageous man is he who defies tyrannies young as the morning and superstitions fresh as the first flowers. The only true free-thinker is he whose intellect is as much free from the future as from the past. He cares as little for what will be as for what has been; he cares only for what ought to be. And for my present purpose I specially insist on this abstract independence. If I am to discuss what is wrong, one of the first things that are wrong is this: the deep and silent modern assumption that past things have become impossible. There is one metaphor of which the moderns are very fond; they are always saying, 'You can't put the clock back.' The simple and obvious answer is 'You can.' A clock, being a piece of human construction, can be restored by the human finger to any figure or hour. In the same way society, being a piece of human construction, can be reconstructed upon any plan that has ever existed."
- G. K. Chesterton

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

We're using completely different definitions of the word 'culture'. I'm using it to refer to what C. S. Lewis called 'the Tao'. You're using it to refer to the products of the human imagination.


Ok fair point. Want to explain what you mean by culture a little more? I view culture as the craft or communication or social activity that comes out of human creativity and enriches society. So the usual stuff like plays, music, art, but also political discussions, and modes of interaction.

This sentiment is no different from normal nostalgia- a longing for a fictional past that never existed.

Only if you straw man it

Eh, I don't know. Thett wants us to have the incredible relationships our grandparents had, that we have never experience. That sounds a lot like nostalgia to me.
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 6:17:32 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
@raisor

Membership in clubs, organizations, advocacy groups, and associations has cratered: http://xroads.virginia.edu...

The proportion of people believing that others can be trusted has been cut in half: https://medium.com...

Americans have no trust in Congress, Big Business, the media, the justice system, the unions, the banks, the schools, the courts, the medical establishment, or even the presidency: http://www.gallup.com...

People have become ever more rootless, as rapidly shifting economic winds and the government sponsored enrichment of the suburbs drives people out of their homes.

Increasing numbers of people feel alienated from every single cultural institution, barely know their neighbors, and have no connection to the area in which they live. How is that anything but a void?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 6:36:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Oh, and middle aged, working class white people, the group that most experienced our social decay, are killing themselves in record numbers: http://www.theatlantic.com...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 6:42:08 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 5:56:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:43:15 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:36:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:04:14 PM, Raisor wrote:

The idea that we are living in a "bleak cultural void" is absurd. I can instantly find podcasts, youtube channels, blogs, twitter accounts, any number of media platforms with information and content on about anything I could imagine. If there's content I wished existed but doesn't, I can create it and post it to the world at virtually no cost to me. I can make folk art and sell it, I can write and self publish, I can record music and self produce. We are living at a time of cultural exuberance.

The fact that someone as smart as you can make a post like this proves Skep is 100% correct.

"Okay, so there's no blood and soil connection to the land, no sense of solidarity with your neighbors, absurd amounts of polarization, and rampant degeneracy...but I can find podcasts that I like!"

Clown world.

Thats a mischaracterization of my point. What is absurd about considering digital media "culture." I can 100% say podcasts enrich my life and are a deep cultural well.

There is no such thing--even you, in making your point, put digital "culture" in parentheses because you subconsciously know that the concept is ridiculous. Internet social interaction is, at most, a simulation of the real thing.

Yeah I don't agree with this.

Digital media is culture. Podcasts have had a very real impact on my world view and how I live my life. As has youtube and various blogs. I use this content to mediate relationships with people I interact with, sometimes total strangers. I have taken digital culture and moved it into real life encounters. If that isn't culture, I don't know what is.

Also I put culture in quotes as a way to indicate we are talking about "culture" as an abstract bounded concept- my sentence perhaps could have better read: digital media as "culture."

To compare podcasts to the civil society of kinship, neighborliness, and social trust that our grandparents enjoyed is absurd. That kind of social experience is not something that can be emulated online, and the fact that you think the two things are even remotely comparable shows that you have no idea what you're missing. And I don't blame you, it's not your fault. But it shows how far we've fallen

I don't think that all social experiences can be emulated online... I don't think that at all.

Digital culture enriches our life, but yeah you are right it can't replace actual human interaction. But why would it? Do you live somewhere that people don't interact? Just like literature from 100 years ago couldn't replace human interaction, neither can digital media. That doesn't make it less culturally enriching.

I think your point about "our grandparents" is absurd and just evidences my assessment that this whole argument is just a nostalgic reflex. My grandma lived dirt poor in a coal town, she rarely saw her father because her father was underground most of his life. I will take my life over hers every time. My other grandma had a mother that beat her mercilessly for minor social infractions. The world you are remembering never existed.


I addressed the blood and soil issue separately.

I assumed you were joking. Because of ancient migrations, somebody whose family has lived in the same town for a dozen generations has no "blood and soil" connection to the land? This is just a radical deconstruction of the concept of identity, not a serious argument.

It means that "blood and soil" (and it REALLY bothers me you are using straight up Nazi language to frame this discussion) is not necessary for culture, is always in flux, is impermanent, and a nonsensical thing to try to engineer. Migration is pert of human history, and to act as though it is a threat to the flourishing of society is the real joke.

The rootlessness of the American experience is part of what made the country so susceptible to dehumanizing global capitalism. The American people lacked the necessary cultural antibodies to resist

LMAO yeah Harlan County lacked the culture to resist, MLK lacked the culture to resist, 100 years of organized labor lacked culture, Cesar Chavez lacked the culture to resist. You do a disservice to the American people by unilaterally proclaiming them defeated without a fight.

America has been blessed with extraordinary leaders and has developed values and and entrepreneurial spirit

America has fared better than most countries under the forces of globalism. We live in a country where even being very poor means you are fed and housed. There is a lot of ways to improve the lives of the poor, and we should be talking about ways to do that. We are going to find those solutions by looking forward and figuring out how to adapt, not by remaining fixated on an illusory version of the past.

I believe there are serious problems in America, and a lot of them are systemic. I don't think we should be dismissing the concerns of rural America. On a macro level, the solutions to these problems is in acknowledging economic realities and adapting. There are different conversations that could be had about what to do on a local level regarding hollowed out communities.
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 7:01:13 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 6:42:08 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:56:58 PM, thett3 wrote:


To compare podcasts to the civil society of kinship, neighborliness, and social trust that our grandparents enjoyed is absurd. That kind of social experience is not something that can be emulated online, and the fact that you think the two things are even remotely comparable shows that you have no idea what you're missing. And I don't blame you, it's not your fault. But it shows how far we've fallen

I don't think that all social experiences can be emulated online... I don't think that at all.

Digital culture enriches our life, but yeah you are right it can't replace actual human interaction. But why would it? Do you live somewhere that people don't interact? Just like literature from 100 years ago couldn't replace human interaction, neither can digital media. That doesn't make it less culturally enriching.

You attempted to refute the argument that we're in a cultural void by pointing out that you have access to podcasts.

My point is that things like that can't come even close to replacing what we've lost, like widespread membership in voluntary associations, social trust, belief in cultural institutions like the justice system or the unions. That doesn't mean they're bad things, but they just aren't remotely comparable.


I think your point about "our grandparents" is absurd and just evidences my assessment that this whole argument is just a nostalgic reflex. My grandma lived dirt poor in a coal town, she rarely saw her father because her father was underground most of his life. I will take my life over hers every time. My other grandma had a mother that beat her mercilessly for minor social infractions. The world you are remembering never existed.

A world where people were more culturally rooted never existed?

Nobody said that things were perfect back then. The point is that there were certain social institutions that it would be good to still have...like any sense of community at all.

Read my other post. The decline of civic society is an objective and empirically measured fact. Is this a good thing in your mind?



I addressed the blood and soil issue separately.

I assumed you were joking. Because of ancient migrations, somebody whose family has lived in the same town for a dozen generations has no "blood and soil" connection to the land? This is just a radical deconstruction of the concept of identity, not a serious argument.

It means that "blood and soil" (and it REALLY bothers me you are using straight up Nazi language to frame this discussion)

I seriously doubt that

is not necessary for culture, is always in flux, is impermanent, and a nonsensical thing to try to engineer. Migration is pert of human history, and to act as though it is a threat to the flourishing of society is the real joke.

Nomadism was prevalent in ancient society. After the agricultural revolution there were periodic migrations of people--all of which were incredibly damaging to the societies they migrated to. These kinds of upheavals were relatively rare, happening to a select portion of the population with several generations in between, at least. Today we have much more radical shifts--even people who live in the same areas of the same states often shift another lane down the highway as neighborhoods artificially deteriorate.

I can't believe you're actually making this argument. It doesn't hurt society to *literally* destroy communities every generation just because culture doesn't always develop in a vacuum.


The rootlessness of the American experience is part of what made the country so susceptible to dehumanizing global capitalism. The American people lacked the necessary cultural antibodies to resist

LMAO yeah Harlan County lacked the culture to resist, MLK lacked the culture to resist, 100 years of organized labor lacked culture, Cesar Chavez lacked the culture to resist. You do a disservice to the American people by unilaterally proclaiming them defeated without a fight.

Well America lost the fight against dehumanizing global capitalism so it seems like an appropriate statement. Even a liberal like yourself is entrenched in defending the establishment--what does that tell you about the American people?

On a macro level, the solutions to these problems is in acknowledging economic realities and adapting. There are different conversations that could be had about what to do on a local level regarding hollowed out communities.

Economic reality? Much of the deindustrialization of this country was not the result of "economic reality". Those plants were doing just fine, thank you very much. They just couldn't compete with literal slave labor and suicide nets.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 7:10:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 6:42:08 PM, Raisor wrote:

I think your point about "our grandparents" is absurd and just evidences my assessment that this whole argument is just a nostalgic reflex. My grandma lived dirt poor in a coal town, she rarely saw her father because her father was underground most of his life. I will take my life over hers every time. My other grandma had a mother that beat her mercilessly for minor social infractions. The world you are remembering never existed.

You claim not to subscribe to Whiggism, but here it is. Because your ancestors suffered hardship that you didn't experience, everything about the present is automatically better than the past. In reality, things don't work like that. Just as we massively advanced materially, we massively declined in spiritual/cultural wellbeing. This is why people have no longer have any trust in anyone or anything and the working class is killing itself.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Posts: 4,461
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 7:11:55 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 7:01:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 6:42:08 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:56:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

It means that "blood and soil" (and it REALLY bothers me you are using straight up Nazi language to frame this discussion)

I seriously doubt that


It really does.

Most people are bothered by the prospect of a resurgence of Nazi ideology.
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 7:15:04 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 7:11:55 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 7:01:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/24/2016 6:42:08 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 9/24/2016 5:56:58 PM, thett3 wrote:

It means that "blood and soil" (and it REALLY bothers me you are using straight up Nazi language to frame this discussion)

I seriously doubt that


It really does.

Most people are bothered by the prospect of a resurgence of Nazi ideology.

I didn't even realize "blood and soil" came from fascist rhetoric until you made that post and I looked it up. It's a useful descriptor and one I've heard in many other contexts before...do you have a better way to word the concept?

It is simply a phrase. What is Nazi ideology to you? Advocating for localization, natural community, and workers rights?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2016 11:50:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
LOL that the most substantive discussion on DDO in a while was on a mean girls fan fic
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 12:03:13 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Why am I not in this thing anywhere?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
YYW
Posts: 36,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 12:05:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/24/2016 11:50:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
LOL that the most substantive discussion on DDO in a while was on a mean girls fan fic

Hey now, my "ask me anything about politics" has been good.... although the discussion has been rather one sided (on my end).

Also, you should join a hangout tonight.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,364
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 12:06:25 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/25/2016 12:03:13 AM, imabench wrote:
Why am I not in this thing anywhere?

Maybe they are saving you for Mean Girls Part IV?
Tsar of DDO
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2016 12:15:36 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/25/2016 12:05:53 AM, YYW wrote:
At 9/24/2016 11:50:34 PM, thett3 wrote:
LOL that the most substantive discussion on DDO in a while was on a mean girls fan fic

Hey now, my "ask me anything about politics" has been good.... although the discussion has been rather one sided (on my end).

Also, you should join a hangout tonight.

I can't man, I'm really really sick and my voice is all messed up
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right