Debate & PM Updates are Live

JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:47:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hello,

We just rolled updates to the debate and PM formatting options to correct the issues that were reported. In addition, you now have the ability to flip between the rich text editor with formatting options or the basic text editor, depending on your preference.

Please use this thread to report any issues that you are experiencing with either posting PMs or debates. To ensure we are able to track issues accordingly, please refrain from creating new threads to report problems with debate posting and PMs and instead post the details on this thread.

Thanks,
Julia
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:48:58 PM
At 1/11/2011 7:47:53 PM, badger wrote:
can i've a job?

Quoting is a problem.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:50:04 PM
I guess it's fine when it's an original post, but quoting is acting up?

annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:56:35 PM
At 1/11/2011 7:54:35 PM, eric.castelli wrote:
Quoting on forums? Please provide additional details. None of the updates should have impacted forums.

Thanks,
Eric

When you reply, the former post is italicized by adding a : in front of it. Now everything is italicized, even the lines without a :

So now everything looks the same and it's confusing/annoying.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:56:35 PM
Quoting on forums? Please provide additional details. None of the updates should have impacted forums.

Thanks,
Eric

Well, see how I'm quoting my post? My own text appears as part of your post. Also, the little colons usually format the quotes, but they appear in the post. :S

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:58:15 PM
At 1/11/2011 7:56:35 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Thanks,
Eric

Well, see how I'm quoting my post? My own text appears as part of your post. Also, the little colons usually format the quotes, but they appear in the post. :S

Wtf?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 7:58:40 PM

Thanks,
Eric

If you quote somebody, then your message also appears as a quote.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Superboy777
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:00:34 PM

Thanks,
Eric

DO U SEE WHATVE U DONE

JK
)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:02:18 PM

Thanks,
Eric

The quoting makes everything look like a quote and the lines are part of the quote now.
On the plus side I can now post
) and it shows up as a smiley :p

I wonder if this makes it not seem like a quote tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:04:47 PM
Ok I see what it is that you guys are referring to, this was actually being reported in the other thread prior to this update. Nothing we updated in the last 15 minutes should have impacted the forums at all, but it is still an issue nonetheless.

We will look into it. In the meantime, can you guys check out the PM and debate posting and let us know if you see issues?

Thanks,
Julia
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:07:00 PM
At 1/11/2011 8:04:47 PM, JuliaD wrote:
Ok I see what it is that you guys are referring to, this was actually being reported in the other thread prior to this update. Nothing we updated in the last 15 minutes should have impacted the forums at all, but it is still an issue nonetheless.

We will look into it. In the meantime, can you guys check out the PM and debate posting and let us know if you see issues?

Thanks,
Julia

I am actually pleased with it. Simple function. No problems for me so far (on Safari) and although I couldn't use rich-text on my Android Phone, this new option is a lifesaver so thank you!

ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:07:29 PM
At 1/11/2011 8:04:47 PM, JuliaD wrote:
Ok I see what it is that you guys are referring to, this was actually being reported in the other thread prior to this update.

Score! I beat you guys!
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2011 8:16:32 PM
could you guys please unblock my apartment IP address?

Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 10:23:37 AM
FYI -
We have released an update to resolve problems with the picture upload and forum quoting. If you still have problems with these functions, please let us know.

Thanks,
Eric
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 11:25:50 AM
At 1/12/2011 10:23:37 AM, eric.castelli wrote:
FYI -
We have released an update to resolve problems with the picture upload and forum quoting. If you still have problems with these functions, please let us know.

Thanks,
Eric

testing
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 11:26:07 AM
YES! excellent
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 7:49:17 PM
We seem to be having issues with PMs where everything is bolded (when it shouldn't be).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2011 10:01:57 PM
At 1/12/2011 7:49:17 PM, OreEle wrote:
We seem to be having issues with PMs where everything is bolded (when it shouldn't be).

Can you tell me what browser you are using?

Thanks,
Eric
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 1:02:26 AM
At 1/12/2011 10:01:57 PM, eric.castelli wrote:

Thanks,
Eric

I'm using safari, however this was happening with everyone in the PM. There were 8 people, and it just kind of started in the middle of the PM, however, we started a new PM and the issue has not come back since. If it does I'll post here again.

Thank you very much.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2011 9:04:56 AM
At 1/13/2011 1:02:26 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/12/2011 10:01:57 PM, eric.castelli wrote:

Thanks,
Eric

I'm using safari, however this was happening with everyone in the PM. There were 8 people, and it just kind of started in the middle of the PM, however, we started a new PM and the issue has not come back since. If it does I'll post here again.

Thank you very much.
Thanks for the info. Please keep me posted!

Thanks,
Eric
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 6:24:06 PM
I dunno if you're taking more suggestions, but it'd be nice if there was a clear way to add multiple levels of bullet points in debates, not just a first level (I did this somehow in one of my debates - not sure how though. I couldn't reproduce it.)

Also, when I copy/paste bullet point/outline formatting from Word, it doesn't quite work. The numbers display too far to the left side of the visual field to show up. And the indented formatting doesn't transfer.

Lastly, the character count in Word and on the website are always different. The count on the website is always higher than in Word.

I really like the new addition though, that if you're over the character limit, it displays negative numbers, rather than just cutting you off. Awesome!
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 10:58:38 PM
Julia, there seems to be some drama in the multi-accounting department so some profiles should probably have an IP check done

are the main concerns. Nobody likes multi-accounting so its a pretty serious subject here.

Thank you for the time you put into this site
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 11:23:56 PM
It's not really an issue, but more of an inquiry.

I was wondering if there was a way that when you post on the forums, rather than go to the first page, you get sent to the page you posted on.

Is there a way this can be done? Thanks.

bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:12:18 AM
At 1/20/2011 11:23:56 PM, M.Torres wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way that when you post on the forums, rather than go to the first page, you get sent to the page you posted on.

Click "view recent" and you will be sent to the last page instead of the first page.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:27:51 PM
At 1/22/2011 12:12:18 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 1/20/2011 11:23:56 PM, M.Torres wrote:

Click "view recent" and you will be sent to the last page instead of the first page.

I meant from actually in the forum, but I found the "last page" button. So thanks bluesteel.

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:22:03 PM
You may have fixed it just now, but yesterday I had a problem with the cut and paste in the rich text debate input. I cut a paragraph from the bottom on the entry and pasted it near top. The next time a clicked on Review, the text below the paste disappeared.

Cntl-x and cntl-v do no not work for cutting and pasting in rich text, only the menu commands.