Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Advice for noobs

missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.

-Unless you feel like wasting an hour or two, don't respond to suspicious forum posts or comments by trolls (for politeness purposes, I will not provide examples)
-The user known as 'Hayd' is the head of the New User's Outreach Program and a very well-respected member on DDO (not a "weird" North-Korean guy who likes to add people randomly- I've actually heard this from people a couple of times believe it or not)
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them
-Don't post things on forums for the sake of attention or you may be looked down upon by 'older' members
-The only place where you can post accents is on people's profiles or it'll end up being a bunch of nonsense
-Read a debate or two before you begin your own
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
fire_wings
Posts: 5,563
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 7:57:09 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.

-Unless you feel like wasting an hour or two, don't respond to suspicious forum posts or comments by trolls (for politeness purposes, I will not provide examples)

*cough* vi_spex *cough*

-The user known as 'Hayd' is the head of the New User's Outreach Program and a very well-respected member on DDO (not a "weird" North-Korean guy who likes to add people randomly- I've actually heard this from people a couple of times believe it or not)
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

First of all, you may win, and the site isn't about winning

-Don't post things on forums for the sake of attention or you may be looked down upon by 'older' members'

um...

-The only place where you can post accents is on people's profiles or it'll end up being a bunch of nonsense
-Read a debate or two before you begin your own

yup. this happens ".
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Lynx_N
Posts: 280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 8:05:08 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.

So, for how long is one a noob then?
Or do you think it is based on post count?
Bronto?
Congrats.

poet
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,860
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 8:12:01 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Don't question the mods (especially me).
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
GoogooGaga
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 10:01:36 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Here is some advice for noobs: Quit.
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,097
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 10:13:54 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 10:01:36 PM, GoogooGaga wrote:
Here is some advice for noobs: Quit.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
ButterCatX
Posts: 2,228
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 10:14:00 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 8:05:08 PM, Lynx_N wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.

So, for how long is one a noob then?
Or do you think it is based on post count?

It's by general consensus. Playing mafia well decreases noobishness, playing poorly increases it. Post count helps at a glance, but it's mostly maturiy to site thing(how you react on the site, not time based.)
I bet fanfics are already being posted on random blogs about us.-Vaarka

Butters preformed his duty to the town and died with honor, he helped us kill scum, so we know have to go and make sure his death wasn't in vain and win this game for him.-lannan13

All hail the great and mighty Butters, who died for our inactive cause.-Vaarka

fuckith offith, lol.-Ore(talking to me)

And guess what happened to FT? He got raped to death.-Xlav

You are so obviously town I love you man.-VOT
Vaarka
Posts: 7,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2016 11:43:49 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
-Run
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
dsjpk5
Posts: 3,016
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 3:09:48 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.



Stop effing plagiarizing!!!
If that was the only issue, then vote moderation could be avoided more often, since a vote in which the voter does explain sufficiently how at least one point a debater made swung their vote, would be considered sufficient. -Airmax
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 3:16:26 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I agree with this. Maybe it sounds a bit mean, but I often get random challenges or requests for debates from members I don't know on (often vacuous or silly) topics that I don't care about.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 5:36:43 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

Lol this... I get so many challenges.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Posts: 6,094
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 5:37:43 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).

This is also correct, but the fact is if you're challenged everyday by some random noob it annoys you.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 8:16:06 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).

I think there is a difference between (a) building a presence on the site or a rapport with an established member, and naturally identifying an area of disagreement, and then issuing a challenge, and (b) sending a challenge on a random, usually overdone topic to someone you don't know just because they're high on the ELO board. Do you know how many random challenges I get about abortion or laptops in school or some other nonsense from someone who has been on the site all of 10 days?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
famousdebater
Posts: 3,943
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:11:58 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I'm also going to have to disagree with this point. I would not be close to where I am without debating (and losing to) a bunch of the first page debaters. You probably shouldn't randomly and unexpectedly challenge them, but I don't think discouraging new users from debating these users based on the premise that they'll probably lose is bad advice.

Debating isn't about winning. If you always win, you don't learn. Debating is about gaining knowledge and learning from your mistakes. And the best way to progress in debating is to try your best against the best users and see where you went wrong (if you lose).
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
famousdebater
Posts: 3,943
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 4:12:22 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).

+1
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Vaarka
Posts: 7,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 6:21:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/29/2016 4:12:22 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).

+1

You won't improve if you only work in a comfortable spot that you've already mastered. To improve, you have to push yourself, challenge those above you, and be willing to leave your comfort zone. Whether you succeed or fail doesn't matter, because both lead to improvement, and you can't expect success if you don't expect failure on the way.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
famousdebater
Posts: 3,943
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2016 11:29:02 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/29/2016 6:21:28 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 9/29/2016 4:12:22 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 9/28/2016 9:49:50 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.


-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

I disagree 100%. Only reason I am not a noob and am now half decent is because I got my @ss handed to me multiple times by people were good. You learn more through hard fought losses than easy victories. Noobs need to get rekt to be good (or, at least, try to learn by reading good members debates).

+1

You won't improve if you only work in a comfortable spot that you've already mastered. To improve, you have to push yourself, challenge those above you, and be willing to leave your comfort zone. Whether you succeed or fail doesn't matter, because both lead to improvement, and you can't expect success if you don't expect failure on the way.

Exactly. :)
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
SNP1
Posts: 2,407
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 1:17:20 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them

To add onto this, read some of the debates from the best debaters on this site before starting a debate yourself (whether you are the instigator or accepting a challenge).

Many n00bs seem to not quite understand just what a debate is and what quality of evidence is expected in debates.
#TheApatheticNihilistPartyofAmerica
#WarOnDDO
Godgirl
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2016 2:08:14 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/28/2016 7:10:41 PM, missmozart wrote:
Post any words of 'wisdom' or things you think noobs would benefit from knowing.

-Unless you feel like wasting an hour or two, don't respond to suspicious forum posts or comments by trolls (for politeness purposes, I will not provide examples)
-The user known as 'Hayd' is the head of the New User's Outreach Program and a very well-respected member on DDO (not a "weird" North-Korean guy who likes to add people randomly- I've actually heard this from people a couple of times believe it or not)
-Try to refrain from challenging debaters on the first pages of the debate leaderboard because a) you're probably not going to win and b) it annoys them
-Don't post things on forums for the sake of attention or you may be looked down upon by 'older' members
-The only place where you can post accents is on people's profiles or it'll end up being a bunch of nonsense
-Read a debate or two before you begin your own

When I was new to the site, I didn't even know what the forum section was, so this might not be all that helpful.
Then again, I'm not even sure I knew what a debate was, either. Maybe the other noobs are smarter than I was.