Jump to topic:

DDO Live Strong

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 6:16:28 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
This will move to the appropriate forum after this. I am putting it on the front page for attention and sign ups and then will continue the updates in the correct forum.

This is something, I have been wanting to do for a while. I was trying to start it before but could not find the time because I was working 60-70 hours a week. Hopefully, with more time open, I can actually get this going.

The goal of this is an accountability project for those who want to lose weight, get in shape, gain muscle, etc. Everybody dreams of and has their own workout goals. This, as I mentioned, can just be to look better or be healthy. There are so many myths around working out and staying in shape that it is quite hard to find a method that works for you. There is no magic pill or magic workout that will help you accomplish your goals easily. The cold hard truth is that change in your body comes from a change in your lifestyle and diet. Nearly 80% of your ability to look better or lose weight comes from dieting and cardio. For example; people who want abs will never see results unless they deplete their body fat. You can do 1,000 crunches a day and will never see results unless you trim the fat to see the abs. There are simple methods to achieve this, such as cutting out bad carbs and switching to a water-based drinking diet. Knowing the difference between good carbs and bad carbs, knowing the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats, etc are fundamental in getting your gains. People who want to gain mass need to be taking in carbs, but they need to be the right type of carbs.

Every person has their own goal, and everyone can get to that goal given the right guidance and their willingness to work hard and change their lifestyle.

My own goal is to get back to where I was about 2 years ago. I use to be under 8 percent body fat and was benching twice my body weight. When I worked the hours I did it made it hard to get to the gym, but now I have had time the past 2 weeks to go back and get in shape. These are my breaking points thus far

Prior / Goal - http://imgur.com...
9/18/16 (Start of fitness plan about 2 weeks ago) - http://imgur.com...
Current ( 10/2/16 ) - http://imgur.com...

I am keeping a personal log of what I am gaining and how I am changing. When you workout and you look at yourself every day, you get use to seeing yourself daily so it makes it very hard to notice a change because of how much you see yourself and critique yourself on a daily basis. It's essentially really hard or near impossible to see change on a day to day basis. Pictures ,however, say a thousand words. You can actually see the change from certain points during your plan. Those are mine thus far.

The reason I am posting this is to see if anyone else wants to try and get gains, lose weight, put on mass etc. I am not a certified physical trainer, but I have been working out, doing MMA, and living in the gym since I was 16. I have a pretty good concept of what to do in order to attain goals. If anyone needs help or wants to aim for goals, feel free to sign up. I can give advice for dieting, how to change your workout, what to do on a day to day basis in the gym etc. I'm going to make a point to check in on this every 2 days and check in on my inbox if anyone has questions.

I can tell you from a personal level, working out again feels great. I feel healthy, i'm not tired, and I feel younger that I have in years. If you want to make a change in your own life and are willing to work hard to get it, feel free to sign up and I'll help in any way I can.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2016 6:18:15 PM
At 10/2/2016 6:16:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

I already run a few miles on almost a daily basis, so I'm good.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 8:33:41 PM
At 10/2/2016 6:16:28 PM, Mikal wrote:
This will move to the appropriate forum after this. I am putting it on the front page for attention and sign ups and then will continue the updates in the correct forum.

This is something, I have been wanting to do for a while. I was trying to start it before but could not find the time because I was working 60-70 hours a week. Hopefully, with more time open, I can actually get this going.

The goal of this is an accountability project for those who want to lose weight, get in shape, gain muscle, etc. Everybody dreams of and has their own workout goals. This, as I mentioned, can just be to look better or be healthy. There are so many myths around working out and staying in shape that it is quite hard to find a method that works for you. There is no magic pill or magic workout that will help you accomplish your goals easily. The cold hard truth is that change in your body comes from a change in your lifestyle and diet. Nearly 80% of your ability to look better or lose weight comes from dieting and cardio. For example; people who want abs will never see results unless they deplete their body fat. You can do 1,000 crunches a day and will never see results unless you trim the fat to see the abs. There are simple methods to achieve this, such as cutting out bad carbs and switching to a water-based drinking diet. Knowing the difference between good carbs and bad carbs, knowing the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats, etc are fundamental in getting your gains. People who want to gain mass need to be taking in carbs, but they need to be the right type of carbs.

Every person has their own goal, and everyone can get to that goal given the right guidance and their willingness to work hard and change their lifestyle.

My own goal is to get back to where I was about 2 years ago. I use to be under 8 percent body fat and was benching twice my body weight. When I worked the hours I did it made it hard to get to the gym, but now I have had time the past 2 weeks to go back and get in shape. These are my breaking points thus far

Prior / Goal - http://imgur.com...
9/18/16 (Start of fitness plan about 2 weeks ago) - http://imgur.com...
Current ( 10/2/16 ) - http://imgur.com...

I am keeping a personal log of what I am gaining and how I am changing. When you workout and you look at yourself every day, you get use to seeing yourself daily so it makes it very hard to notice a change because of how much you see yourself and critique yourself on a daily basis. It's essentially really hard or near impossible to see change on a day to day basis. Pictures ,however, say a thousand words. You can actually see the change from certain points during your plan. Those are mine thus far.

The reason I am posting this is to see if anyone else wants to try and get gains, lose weight, put on mass etc. I am not a certified physical trainer, but I have been working out, doing MMA, and living in the gym since I was 16. I have a pretty good concept of what to do in order to attain goals. If anyone needs help or wants to aim for goals, feel free to sign up. I can give advice for dieting, how to change your workout, what to do on a day to day basis in the gym etc. I'm going to make a point to check in on this every 2 days and check in on my inbox if anyone has questions.

I can tell you from a personal level, working out again feels great. I feel healthy, i'm not tired, and I feel younger that I have in years. If you want to make a change in your own life and are willing to work hard to get it, feel free to sign up and I'll help in any way I can.

1. Geogeer

Not sure this will help, as I am still working 60-70 hours a week, have 3 young children and am on the wrong side of 40.

Where I was - 6'-1" 175# and was able to climb the highest maintained trail in Canada without any difficulty, do 10k runs, play ultimate, volleyball, etc.

Then marriage and children hit.

Now - still 6'-1" but now at 225#. Regular activities include mouse pushing (with only a minor sweat), and vigorous diaper changing.

Goal - Properly fit that pair of 34x34 Jeans that have been hanging in my closet for a few years.

I'm doing this because if I have to make myself even minorly accountable to someone, my pride will hopefully cause me to get off my arse.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 11:47:43 PM
At 10/6/2016 8:35:50 PM, Geogeer wrote:
Oh yeah, the hike is awesome!

If your ever in southern Alberta I highly recommend it!

http://www.trailpeak.com...

ooo

So losing weight is the goal?
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2016 11:59:07 PM

Going from Banff to BC is also ridiculously scenic.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:48:27 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/6/2016 11:47:43 PM, Mikal wrote:

ooo

Hell yeah! I've given up the 6 pack for the whole keg... The kids are starting to get old enough that I'm getting a smidge of personal time and I intend to get back in shape.

So my personal goal right now is 30 lbs. min 50 lbs. ideal. It will happen! I should be able to do 15-20 by Christmas.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:49:12 PM
At 10/6/2016 11:59:07 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Going from Banff to BC is also ridiculously scenic.

+1
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 3:58:56 PM
At 10/7/2016 3:48:27 PM, Geogeer wrote:

ooo

Hell yeah! I've given up the 6 pack for the whole keg... The kids are starting to get old enough that I'm getting a smidge of personal time and I intend to get back in shape.

So my personal goal right now is 30 lbs. min 50 lbs. ideal. It will happen! I should be able to do 15-20 by Christmas.

What is your everyday diet like. How do you eat, how much do you eat, how many times do you eat, and what do you eat.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:04:03 PM

ooo

I saw you used to run long distance. Doing that, plus watching your diet, can really help you out. Even if you don't keep the best diet, running still helps. I definitely don't keep the most healthy of diets, but I run long distance, and only weigh 120 pounds (though the fact that I'm 17 and have a much higher metabolism than you probably do is helping me in this case more than it will likely help you...so eat well ;3)
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 4:26:21 PM
At 10/7/2016 4:04:03 PM, Vaarka wrote:

ooo

I saw you used to run long distance. Doing that, plus watching your diet, can really help you out. Even if you don't keep the best diet, running still helps. I definitely don't keep the most healthy of diets, but I run long distance, and only weigh 120 pounds (though the fact that I'm 17 and have a much higher metabolism than you probably do is helping me in this case more than it will likely help you...so eat well ;3)

Yeah, well I tore my ACL playing ultimate and running has never been the same (even after surgery)... I do have an elliptical at home that I need to start using again...
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 5:17:13 PM
At 10/7/2016 3:58:56 PM, Mikal wrote:

ooo

What is your everyday diet like. How do you eat, how much do you eat, how many times do you eat, and what do you eat.

Breakfast

Weekdays - Sometimes skip, sometimes a bowl of cereal or toast with butter. Normally a couple slices of marble cheese or "Laughing Cow" cheese. (I like cheese... ;-)

On Saturday it will normally be a croissant w/butter and jam or cheese.

Sundays we tend to have grandma over for breakfast after mass and it'll be one of pancakes, waffles, bacon & eggs, or cocoa and toast.

Lunch

Weekdays - Sometimes skip (too busy working), or probably a peanut butter or meat sandwich made at work.

Saturdays - Whatever I make the kids for lunch, KD, soup, sandwich.

Sundays - normally no lunch because of the large late breakfast, maybe a couple of slices of cheese on the way out the door to work.

Dinner
Pretty typical - Sometimes spaghetti either with a traditional meat sauce or pesto because this is he kids favourite meal. Otherwise chicken, beef, pork or fish with a starch (either rice or potatoes) and a veggie - normally corn or peas (kids again). Normally a plate (i.e. 3-4 drumsticks, 2-3 heaping tablespoons of corn, 50% more rice than corn either with soya sauce or Kraft powdered cheddar cheese, and 8-12 oz. milk.) unless I skipped lunch then 1.5-2 plates

There will normally be a dessert just before we put the kids to bed.

Misc.
Probably about 4 packs of sugar in coffee/tea throughout the day.
Normally some nuts or jujubes at my desk for grazing
Possible (as in very likely) trips for snacks such as cheese & crackers (I did mention that I like cheese didn't I?) or a handful of peanut M&M's, maybe once or twice a week there'll be nachos with cheese and salsa and a carbonated beverage with the wife after the kids have gone to bed. Used to be worse with pops & whatnot, but it has been cut way back.

Little to no prepared food, we tend to make most of it ourselves.

So from there I already know I basically just have to cut out the snacking to get the calorie in side under control.

It is the time side to get the exercise done that is difficult.

Weekday
Wake up 6:30AM-7AM
Get wife, & kids up and going
7AM-8AM
Breakfast, kid's lunches, kids dressed and ready for school
8AM-9AM
Drive kids and myself to school
9AM-6PM
Work
6PM-8PM
Eat, Do stuff with kids, and get them to brush teeth, get changed, read stories and into bed
8-8:15PM
Keep putting kids back in bed.
8:15-8:45
Pray Rosary with wife
8:45-10
Relax and converse with wife, watch a bit of TV etc.
10PM-Midnight
My time! Normally watch a bit more TV, read, pointlessly battle trolls in the Religion Forum. This is where I have to rev myself up again and get some exercise in.

Saturday
Kids wake me up because they want to watch cartoons and eat breakfast.
7AM-9AM
Breakfast, catch up on news, figure out how I ended up with play-doh wedged into every possible crevice on the table (general clean up for the week).
9AM-Noon
Get some grocery shopping done for the week by taking the kids out of the house and letting the wife catch up on more cleaning.
Noon-1PM
Lunch
1PM-5PM
Back at work
5M-8PM
Eat, Do stuff with kids, and get them to brush teeth, get changed, read stories and into bed
8-8:15PM
Keep putting kids back in bed.
Pray Rosary with wife
8:45-10:30
Relax and converse with wife, watch a bit of TV, think of getting fresh with the wife then realize 3 kids have left me exhausted and go back to watching TV, etc.
10:30PM-Midnight
My time! Normally watch a bit more TV, read, plan the home reno I'm looking to start in a few months.

Saturday
For the love of God, can the kids not let me sleep in one day of the week!
7AM-9AM
Kids breakfast, make myself presentable one day of the week, get everybody looking really good.
9AM-10:30AM
Mass
10:30AM-12PM
Brunch with grandma
12PM-1:30PM
Honey-do-list items
1:30PM-5PM
Work
5PM-7:30PM
7:30-7:45PM
Threaten the kids within an inch of their lives that if they don't get back in be so-help-me...
7:45-8:15
Drink heavily knowing I'm going to repeating this week again next week.
Pray Rosary with wife
8:45-10:30
Veg.
10:30PM-Midnight
More vegging (or would that be veging?)

So yeah. I know what I have to do. It is just that I don't do it. So starting tomorrow I will start taking scale readings and belly circumference readings *sigh* (I won't post pictures, I would have to repair too many cracked monitors...)
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 5:58:56 PM
At 10/7/2016 4:26:21 PM, Geogeer wrote:

ooo

Yeah, well I tore my ACL playing ultimate and running has never been the same (even after surgery)... I do have an elliptical at home that I need to start using again...

Can you describe what running is like now, and how long ago it happened?

Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:43:52 PM
At 10/7/2016 5:58:56 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 10/7/2016 4:26:21 PM, Geogeer wrote:

ooo

Can you describe what running is like now, and how long ago it happened?

Oh the joint is fully functional, but the body remembers something happened. Since the accident the muscles in my left leg (it was my left ACL that went pop) atrophy at a significantly faster rate when I stop doing exercise. It was good when I was regularly pushing myself, but since having kids I haven't had time to do much. And it feels weak. My nephews got a trampoline last summer and just light bouncing on the trampoline made me realize I didn't want to be jumping on it without significantly beefing up the strength of the leg first. It felt... something between weak and unstable, but not either... I could just tell it wasn't to be trusted.

Every now and then on stairs I get a slight twinge out of it. I know it is completely a conditioning thing and last week I stated doing squats to start rebuilding it. The body never forgets an injury.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 6:59:43 PM
At 10/7/2016 5:17:13 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I mean you probably know the basics. But dairy out altogether for fast drops, or as minimum as possible. Completely deplete carbs out. Go to a water based diet

if you go to water only and drop carbs, you will kill a great deal of your weight. Render in lean stuff or even greens. Broccoli , chicken , turkey , in small portions. Stay to 1500-2k if you workout.

eat 4-6 times a day at like 250-400 calories a meal depending on how many times you eat. Eat more often but less, it kickstarts your metab
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:50:05 PM
At 10/7/2016 6:59:43 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 10/7/2016 5:17:13 PM, Geogeer wrote:

I mean you probably know the basics. But dairy out altogether for fast drops, or as minimum as possible. Completely deplete carbs out. Go to a water based diet

if you go to water only and drop carbs, you will kill a great deal of your weight. Render in lean stuff or even greens. Broccoli , chicken , turkey , in small portions. Stay to 1500-2k if you workout.

eat 4-6 times a day at like 250-400 calories a meal depending on how many times you eat. Eat more often but less, it kickstarts your metab

Yup, yup. I know what to do... I just gotta do it. I will try to post regularly as a means of not slacking off on it. That is the biggest problem that I'm in a feedback loop at the moment: don't exercise -> lack of energy -> lack of exercise -> ad nauseum . The first 2 weeks are always the toughest. If it is a fast (as in not eating) I can do it, if it is a diet I find it much tougher. Maybe I'll return to the traditional practice of fasting for advent... lol.