Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Forum Decorum/Free Speech

lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 7:55:10 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I've had at least one (white) person private message me to express regret/apologize for the racism in the forums, especially from vocal, prominent "anti-SJW" members. However, those who PM me are afraid to speak out against it, because they consider such members their friends, and because they are afraid of the backlash they would receive from their friends.

It seems that certain ideas on DDO are swiftly attacked, mocked, and effectively silenced. The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality.

Does no one else think it's sad that people can't even speak out against racism and bullying without fear of backlash? Is this a DDO you can all be proud of?
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:02:05 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 7:55:10 PM, lamerde wrote:
I've had at least one (white) person private message me to express regret/apologize for the racism in the forums, especially from vocal, prominent "anti-SJW" members. However, those who PM me are afraid to speak out against it, because they consider such members their friends, and because they are afraid of the backlash they would receive from their friends.

It seems that certain ideas on DDO are swiftly attacked, mocked, and effectively silenced. The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality.

Does no one else think it's sad that people can't even speak out against racism and bullying without fear of backlash? Is this a DDO you can all be proud of?

Color me blind, but I wasn't aware this was a huge problem. I mean, there are certain people (e.g., brontoraptor) who I think spam conservative stuff a lot and don't seem to care about being rigorous, but I didn't think flame wars on those subjects were all that prominent. Do you have people constantly harassing you or something?
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:04:57 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 8:02:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/7/2016 7:55:10 PM, lamerde wrote:
I've had at least one (white) person private message me to express regret/apologize for the racism in the forums, especially from vocal, prominent "anti-SJW" members. However, those who PM me are afraid to speak out against it, because they consider such members their friends, and because they are afraid of the backlash they would receive from their friends.

It seems that certain ideas on DDO are swiftly attacked, mocked, and effectively silenced. The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality.

Does no one else think it's sad that people can't even speak out against racism and bullying without fear of backlash? Is this a DDO you can all be proud of?

Color me blind, but I wasn't aware this was a huge problem. I mean, there are certain people (e.g., brontoraptor) who I think spam conservative stuff a lot and don't seem to care about being rigorous, but I didn't think flame wars on those subjects were all that prominent. Do you have people constantly harassing you or something?

Lol it's not a problem. Tulle just likes to cry racism whenever someone does something she doesn't like, which is why no one takes her seriously.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:07:08 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Essentially, any micro aggression is an instances of racism in her world. Due to their ubiquity, the problem of racism is rampant.

I am a prime offender, too. Doncha know I'm a flaming racist, bigot, and homophobe?
Tsar of DDO
PetersSmith
Posts: 5,839
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:07:31 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 7:55:10 PM, lamerde wrote:
I've had at least one (white) person private message me to express regret/apologize for the racism in the forums, especially from vocal, prominent "anti-SJW" members. However, those who PM me are afraid to speak out against it, because they consider such members their friends, and because they are afraid of the backlash they would receive from their friends.

It seems that certain ideas on DDO are swiftly attacked, mocked, and effectively silenced. The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality.

Does no one else think it's sad that people can't even speak out against racism and bullying without fear of backlash? Is this a DDO you can all be proud of?

It seems that the anti-SJW are more sometimes more easily triggered than the SJW themselves.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:09:53 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 8:02:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Color me blind, but I wasn't aware this was a huge problem. I mean, there are certain people (e.g., brontoraptor) who I think spam conservative stuff a lot and don't seem to care about being rigorous, but I didn't think flame wars on those subjects were all that prominent. Do you have people constantly harassing you or something?

I hadn't logged on to DDO for 3 months and within a day or two of returning, another person PM'd me about it.

There have been innumerable race-related and anti-SJW threads over the past several months to a year. Early this year, I made 3 or 4 race-related threads and was trolled and attacked, both in those threads, and in other threads. Certain people would make multiple "response threads" to either my threads or posts, and I was constantly attacked.

I'll send you a PM with recent examples since some members cry a lot if you bring it up.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
lamerde
Posts: 1,416
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 8:20:12 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 8:07:31 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

It seems that the anti-SJW are more sometimes more easily triggered than the SJW themselves.

100%

And when you use their logic against them, they get very upset.
Why I ignore YYW:
http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Calling someone a bitch multiple times while claiming you're taking the high road is an art form, I suppose: http://www.debate.org...
Fkkize
Posts: 2,149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2016 11:04:10 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
Call an alt-Reicher "cuck" and watch him get triggered like the immature 10-yo he is. Fun times.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:11:02 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/7/2016 7:55:10 PM, lamerde wrote:
I've had at least one (white) person private message me to express regret/apologize for the racism in the forums, especially from vocal, prominent "anti-SJW" members. However, those who PM me are afraid to speak out against it, because they consider such members their friends, and because they are afraid of the backlash they would receive from their friends.

It seems that certain ideas on DDO are swiftly attacked, mocked, and effectively silenced. The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality.

Does no one else think it's sad that people can't even speak out against racism and bullying without fear of backlash? Is this a DDO you can all be proud of?

How is "anti-SJW" stuff racist, so much as a criticism of a means used to combat racism?

I mean... there are white nationalists and such here, but nobody takes them seriously.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:24:28 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
I disagree with a lot of the anti-SJW arguments, and some of the more inflammatory rhetoric I've read. However, I do not think saying that there is a lot of racism in the anti-SJW movement on DDO is necessary or productive.

I think there is a productive discussion to be had about interpersonal conduct on the forums, and I do think that too many people are silent when others make bullying, hurtful, or clearly malicious comments. I think moderation should start banning users who clearly violate the TOS; I think many users now believe it is okay to use offensive terms, to mock or belittle others, and so on. In no world is that kind of behavior ethical or appropriate, whether it is meant sincerely or not. Certainly, deliberately deriding others as incompetent, or stupid, or mentally unsophisticated, is unethical and should be more forcefully condemned on this site. It is totally unnecessary to have a thorough debate, and, just because you have the right to say it, doesn't mean you should. Crass, thoughtless, callous, and mocking comments are not appropriate in real life, and not appropriate here, particularly when there are young, vulnerable, and/or good people who might be the victims of these attacks.

We should all endeavor to be civil, even if we fail. Rudeness is not, nor has it ever been, a virtue. Malicious trolling is not an art, it is despicable. Bullying is not an acceptable norm of behavior, it is just plain wrong. These are things we should all accept.

I also agree with parts of your post, esp. this: "The irony is that the "anti-SJW" camp accuse college campuses of censorship and blocking free speech, yet they do the same thing in the forums with their hive mentality."

However, by using the rhetoric you have, you have essentially poisoned the discussion, and opened yourself up to accusations of insulting those who you charge with insulting others. I think using the rhetoric you did was not appropriate, because it paints with a broad brush, even if you didn't intend it that way.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:26:00 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:11:02 AM, tejretics wrote:
I mean... there are white nationalists and such here, but nobody takes them seriously.

IDK what Tulle is talking about, but--in general--I think there has been an erosion of civil discourse on DDO over the last year or so.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:37:46 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:26:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:11:02 AM, tejretics wrote:
I mean... there are white nationalists and such here, but nobody takes them seriously.

IDK what Tulle is talking about, but--in general--I think there has been an erosion of civil discourse on DDO over the last year or so.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with racism.

In fact, over the past two months, DDO has been pretty good when it comes to civil discourse -- like, very good, since the abolition of the presidency.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:39:30 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:37:46 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:26:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
IDK what Tulle is talking about, but--in general--I think there has been an erosion of civil discourse on DDO over the last year or so.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with racism.

Notice in the post above I disagreed with Tulle's use of that word, and racism is not, I think, the key issue about interpersonal relations or forum decorum.

In fact, over the past two months, DDO has been pretty good when it comes to civil discourse -- like, very good, since the abolition of the presidency.

I strongly disagree, though I don't think it has anything to do with the Presidency. The deterioration happened during and after it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:43:52 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:39:30 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I strongly disagree, though I don't think it has anything to do with the Presidency. The deterioration happened during and after it.

There are undoubtedly certain people with no understanding whatsoever of social issues posting stupid sh!t on the forums and trolling people that actually engage in intellectual discourse, almost to the extent that there were once trolls in the Religion forum (and there probably still are, though I don't spend much time).

But at the same time, we're seeing a lot more quality posts, almost as good as around a year ago. We're seeing great posts made by prominent users, and pretty good forum-level debates. Like, if you see one of YYW's political AMA's, or the debate Skep and Raisor had over the forums on nationalism -- the three of them are some of this site's best users. We're seeing a lot more posts by Skep, Thett, Raisor, YYW, TBR, Harder... I could go on. And until a few months ago, FT posted a lot of great posts too. So, amid the trolls, there are also the really smart people making really sensible posts.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:50:34 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:43:52 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:39:30 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I strongly disagree, though I don't think it has anything to do with the Presidency. The deterioration happened during and after it.

There are undoubtedly certain people with no understanding whatsoever of social issues posting stupid sh!t on the forums and trolling people that actually engage in intellectual discourse, almost to the extent that there were once trolls in the Religion forum (and there probably still are, though I don't spend much time).

This, but not just this.

But at the same time, we're seeing a lot more quality posts, almost as good as around a year ago. We're seeing great posts made by prominent users, and pretty good forum-level debates. Like, if you see one of YYW's political AMA's, or the debate Skep and Raisor had over the forums on nationalism -- the three of them are some of this site's best users. We're seeing a lot more posts by Skep, Thett, Raisor, YYW, TBR, Harder... I could go on. And until a few months ago, FT posted a lot of great posts too.

I am not sure I'd fully agree with everyone one of the users you list, but I won't go into that. What I will say, however, is that I don't think we're getting *more* substantive OPs than we used to; I certainly haven't noticed an uptick from when I was on the site. For a long stretch, the politics forum was dominated by anti-SJW threads, with each being a riff on the other...sure, that's a lot of substantive posts, but it's also highly repetitive, so I wouldn't count each one individually. I also think some posts that are "substantive" are precisely the kinds of demeaning posts I would object to, which only pretend to be substantive. This very thread might be an example of that kind of post, which masquerades as substantive while insulting a whole group of people as engaging in racist rhetoric.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 4:58:50 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:50:34 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am not sure I'd fully agree with everyone one of the users you list, but I won't go into that. What I will say, however, is that I don't think we're getting *more* substantive OPs than we used to; I certainly haven't noticed an uptick from when I was on the site. For a long stretch, the politics forum was dominated by anti-SJW threads, with each being a riff on the other...sure, that's a lot of substantive posts, but it's also highly repetitive, so I wouldn't count each one individually. I also think some posts that are "substantive" are precisely the kinds of demeaning posts I would object to, which only pretend to be substantive. This very thread might be an example of that kind of post, which masquerades as substantive while insulting a whole group of people as engaging in racist rhetoric.

There is no post that seems substantive but is actually racist.

Every racist post has been, by and large, ignored. None of the anti-SJW threads that is actually substantive has been racist.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:03:10 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 4:58:50 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 4:50:34 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I am not sure I'd fully agree with everyone one of the users you list, but I won't go into that. What I will say, however, is that I don't think we're getting *more* substantive OPs than we used to; I certainly haven't noticed an uptick from when I was on the site. For a long stretch, the politics forum was dominated by anti-SJW threads, with each being a riff on the other...sure, that's a lot of substantive posts, but it's also highly repetitive, so I wouldn't count each one individually. I also think some posts that are "substantive" are precisely the kinds of demeaning posts I would object to, which only pretend to be substantive. This very thread might be an example of that kind of post, which masquerades as substantive while insulting a whole group of people as engaging in racist rhetoric.

There is no post that seems substantive but is actually racist.

You'll notice that that is not actually what I said.

I said that there are posts which masquerade as substantive while using the points included therein as a put-down of others or categories of others. There are also truly substantive posts which demean others or groups of others. Comments like the one in the OP are unacceptable, even though the OP I think makes some good points. Comments like, "anyone who disagrees with me is wrong or incompetent," and similar remarks, can be found in otherwise substantive posts. These posts are rendered unacceptable and unethical by the inclusion of such demeaning and belittling content.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:15:39 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Slightly related, there are some members that I'm really afraid to debate with due to their shear clout they possess and I know that if I attempt to debate with them that I would be outcast. This is why I rarely post in many of the forums.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:25:32 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:03:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Comments like, "anyone who disagrees with me is wrong or incompetent," and similar remarks, can be found in otherwise substantive posts. These posts are rendered unacceptable and unethical by the inclusion of such demeaning and belittling content.

Wait, so you would delete those posts if you were a mod? I know that's not what you said, but I'm curious.

How is the entire post made "unacceptable" or "unethical" in that manner?

Needless to say, I strongly disagree.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:37:56 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:25:32 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:03:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Comments like, "anyone who disagrees with me is wrong or incompetent," and similar remarks, can be found in otherwise substantive posts. These posts are rendered unacceptable and unethical by the inclusion of such demeaning and belittling content.

Wait, so you would delete those posts if you were a mod? I know that's not what you said, but I'm curious.

In an ideal situation...That depends on (a) how insulting those posts were (anyone who disagrees is wrong or foolish vs. anyone who disagrees with me is a complete and utter idiot). It also depends on whether the post insults users on the site, or people offsite. But yes, generally, I think that those comments constitute personal attacks which are utterly unnecessary to making the point of the argument clear. They are gratuitous, mean-spirited, and inappropriate.

However, were I actually the mod (god forbid), I probably would not actually delete those comments...though I might ask someone to desist...I think the mod has to strike a balance between what they think is right and what users tolerate, and that balance is ever-shifting. But, the mod absolutely has to make pragmatic decisions, not just the ones they want to make.

The inappropriate, TOS-violating comment merits the removal of the whole thread. It is, frankly, not an undue burden for people to simply avoid comments like that and have a civil discourse.

Even if you disagree with me about that moderation philosophy, do you agree that those comments are inappropriate, rude, and uncalled for?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:40:46 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:37:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:
The inappropriate, TOS-violating comment merits the removal of the whole thread. It is, frankly, not an undue burden for people to simply avoid comments like that and have a civil discourse.

This paragraph should have been the second paragraph of my reply...not the third...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:40:59 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:37:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:
The inappropriate, TOS-violating comment merits the removal of the whole thread. It is, frankly, not an undue burden for people to simply avoid comments like that and have a civil discourse.

"Anyone who disagrees is an idiot" is in no way TOS violating.

This is one of the issues on site policy where I most strongly disagree with you. I would probably leave the site permanently if a mod deleted a substantive thread because it contained the above comment. For me, a site like that would no longer have any worth.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
imabench
Posts: 21,216
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:42:32 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:15:39 AM, lannan13 wrote:
Slightly related, there are some members that I'm really afraid to debate with due to their shear clout they possess and I know that if I attempt to debate with them that I would be outcast. This is why I rarely post in many of the forums.

Ive lost a good number of serious debates with other members just because they had more 'name brand' recognition around here than I did. I also won many troll debates for the exact same reason, so I know exactly what you mean, and it does exist.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:40:59 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:37:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:
The inappropriate, TOS-violating comment merits the removal of the whole thread. It is, frankly, not an undue burden for people to simply avoid comments like that and have a civil discourse.

"Anyone who disagrees is an idiot" is in no way TOS violating.

I respectfully disagree.

But you never answered my question: Even if you disagree with me about that moderation philosophy, do you agree that those comments are inappropriate, rude, and uncalled for?

This is one of the issues on site policy where I most strongly disagree with you.

I know, and I highly suspect I am in the minority, which is why I said: were I actually the mod (god forbid), I probably would not actually delete those comments...though I might ask someone to desist...I think the mod has to strike a balance between what they think is right and what users tolerate, and that balance is ever-shifting. But, the mod absolutely has to make pragmatic decisions, not just the ones they want to make.

Interestingly though, thinking about my deep concerns about site interpersonal relations has helped me get a clearer sense of my moral and ethical beliefs...The pure disgust I feel at those kinds of comments has motivated a lot of thought on that question...kind of an odd source of inspiration, but in a good way. Little more self-awareness ftw.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:50:19 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:40:59 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:37:56 AM, bsh1 wrote:
The inappropriate, TOS-violating comment merits the removal of the whole thread. It is, frankly, not an undue burden for people to simply avoid comments like that and have a civil discourse.

"Anyone who disagrees is an idiot" is in no way TOS violating.

I respectfully disagree.

But you never answered my question: Even if you disagree with me about that moderation philosophy, do you agree that those comments are inappropriate, rude, and uncalled for?

I wouldn't use them, but I don't find them nearly as offensive as you do. Like, I obviously wouldn't believe it if a person said "anyone who disagrees is an idiot." That comment, I would just ignore.

This is one of the issues on site policy where I most strongly disagree with you.

I know, and I highly suspect I am in the minority, which is why I said: were I actually the mod (god forbid), I probably would not actually delete those comments...though I might ask someone to desist...I think the mod has to strike a balance between what they think is right and what users tolerate, and that balance is ever-shifting. But, the mod absolutely has to make pragmatic decisions, not just the ones they want to make.

Interestingly though, thinking about my deep concerns about site interpersonal relations has helped me get a clearer sense of my moral and ethical beliefs...The pure disgust I feel at those kinds of comments has motivated a lot of thought on that question...kind of an odd source of inspiration, but in a good way. Little more self-awareness ftw.

Lol well I would be thoroughly furious -- like, really, really frustrated at the state of the site -- if someone deleted a thread because of that. I would probably leave immediately, or my activity would just end right there, after I posted a rant about it.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:53:54 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
But you never answered my question: Even if you disagree with me about that moderation philosophy, do you agree that those comments are inappropriate, rude, and uncalled for?

Basically, I'm not bothered at all by it. I'm just completely apathetic.

I also don't find it a "personal attack" or anything because it doesn't target a specific person.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:55:20 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:50:19 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:40:59 AM, tejretics wrote:
This is one of the issues on site policy where I most strongly disagree with you.

I know, and I highly suspect I am in the minority, which is why I said: were I actually the mod (god forbid), I probably would not actually delete those comments...though I might ask someone to desist...I think the mod has to strike a balance between what they think is right and what users tolerate, and that balance is ever-shifting. But, the mod absolutely has to make pragmatic decisions, not just the ones they want to make.

Interestingly though, thinking about my deep concerns about site interpersonal relations has helped me get a clearer sense of my moral and ethical beliefs...The pure disgust I feel at those kinds of comments has motivated a lot of thought on that question...kind of an odd source of inspiration, but in a good way. Little more self-awareness ftw.

Lol well I would be thoroughly furious -- like, really, really frustrated at the state of the site -- if someone deleted a thread because of that. I would probably leave immediately, or my activity would just end right there, after I posted a rant about it.

Lol. I can understand where your coming from intellectually, but emotionally, it doesn't make much sense to me...But I think that just helps explain our difference in perspective.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 5:58:08 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:53:54 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
But you never answered my question: Even if you disagree with me about that moderation philosophy, do you agree that those comments are inappropriate, rude, and uncalled for?

Basically, I'm not bothered at all by it. I'm just completely apathetic.

I also don't find it a "personal attack" or anything because it doesn't target a specific person.

Eh...I think it does target a specific group of people: "anybody who disagrees." That means anyone who disagrees has been attacked by the comment.

But, I don't really want to debate it. I recognize and respect the disagreement, and I think it's largely perspectival.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,089
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:03:40 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 5:55:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:50:19 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:46:57 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:40:59 AM, tejretics wrote:
This is one of the issues on site policy where I most strongly disagree with you.

I know, and I highly suspect I am in the minority, which is why I said: were I actually the mod (god forbid), I probably would not actually delete those comments...though I might ask someone to desist...I think the mod has to strike a balance between what they think is right and what users tolerate, and that balance is ever-shifting. But, the mod absolutely has to make pragmatic decisions, not just the ones they want to make.

Interestingly though, thinking about my deep concerns about site interpersonal relations has helped me get a clearer sense of my moral and ethical beliefs...The pure disgust I feel at those kinds of comments has motivated a lot of thought on that question...kind of an odd source of inspiration, but in a good way. Little more self-awareness ftw.

Lol well I would be thoroughly furious -- like, really, really frustrated at the state of the site -- if someone deleted a thread because of that. I would probably leave immediately, or my activity would just end right there, after I posted a rant about it.

Lol. I can understand where your coming from intellectually, but emotionally, it doesn't make much sense to me...But I think that just helps explain our difference in perspective.

Well, I am very influenced by emotion on this, actually. It is an emotional perspective. Like, I would want to permit it even if the majority of the community didn't, at least from an emotional perspective.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2016 6:04:57 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/8/2016 6:03:40 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:55:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/8/2016 5:50:19 AM, tejretics wrote:
Lol well I would be thoroughly furious -- like, really, really frustrated at the state of the site -- if someone deleted a thread because of that. I would probably leave immediately, or my activity would just end right there, after I posted a rant about it.

Lol. I can understand where your coming from intellectually, but emotionally, it doesn't make much sense to me...But I think that just helps explain our difference in perspective.

Well, I am very influenced by emotion on this, actually. It is an emotional perspective. Like, I would want to permit it even if the majority of the community didn't, at least from an emotional perspective.

Oh, I don't deny that. My point was that our different emotional outlooks influenced our decisions, and that my emotions weren't making sense of yours on this topic. Perhaps I put my point in-eloquently.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...