Jump to topic:

How can DDO be revitalized?

xvyz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:47:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I have recently decided to rejoin the debate community, my former user was KhalifV. Debates used to be quite rigorous, and many people debated on this platform, however it appears that the quality and quantity of debates have decreased. Is there anyway to revitalize this site?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 8:51:58 PM
I would start with just doing some debate yourself. Look at those in the challenge period for instance.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 9:05:48 PM
At 10/9/2016 8:51:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I would start with just doing some debate yourself. Look at those in the challenge period for instance.

What if you already do debates?

BTW, is there some sort of group that hosts and votes on debates, is active in the forums, etc?
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:05:27 PM
At 10/9/2016 9:05:48 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Just keep trying to generate the best content you can...that's all we can do, really.

BTW, is there some sort of group that hosts and votes on debates, is active in the forums, etc?

Not anymore, to my knowledge.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:40:34 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:05:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Just keep trying to generate the best content you can...that's all we can do, really.

What was the name of the previous one?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:47:17 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:40:34 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

What was the name of the previous one?

Well, there was the voter's union to organize voting.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:48:02 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:47:17 PM, bsh1 wrote:

What happened to it?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:48:30 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:48:02 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

What happened to it?

Once DK and TUF left...it just kind of withered away...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:51:14 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:48:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:

What happened to it?

Nobody else has tried to bring it back?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:51:42 PM
At 10/9/2016 10:51:14 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 10/9/2016 10:48:30 PM, bsh1 wrote:

What happened to it?

Nobody else has tried to bring it back?

I think Lannan still tries, and maybe Think too. I'd reach out to them and ask.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2016 10:52:06 PM
It will never be.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 12:15:40 AM
At 10/9/2016 8:47:34 PM, xvyz wrote:
I have recently decided to rejoin the debate community, my former user was KhalifV. Debates used to be quite rigorous, and many people debated on this platform, however it appears that the quality and quantity of debates have decreased. Is there anyway to revitalize this site?

Rigorous. rigorous.
What a great word.
( rig-er-uh s ) by rigor
Say it with me . 1,2,3 rigorous.
Today's mission is to use the word rigorous in chat with 3 unsuspecting people.
1 of these people have to say why did you say rigorous.
How good is it ? . Rigorous,
Good game , Good game.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 12:55:25 AM

You should take some time away from the site , then when you come back make a new account and name.
And start fresh.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2016 3:02:12 AM

HEADS. ON. SPIKES.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 12:36:57 AM
We need to recruit more pretty girls.
There is this stereotype that pretty girls are not intelligent. This is, of course not true. You may find examples of pretty girls that are dumb, but not all pretty girls are dumb. The percentage of pretty girls who are smart is about the same as the percentage of unattractive girls who are smart, But an intelligent pretty girl knows when she is in a situation when she would do better to act dumb a little.
xus00HAY
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:43:16 AM
I'm not just goofing around here.
In nature many male animals defend their territory. If they are successful the females in that territory mate with this alpha male, not the losers he chased out.
So, If a male member defeats other males in debates, and there are girls here who see him do this, maybe they will feel attracted to this guy, one thing leads to another, and eventually she and the Master Debater will hook up.
I don't know if this will work, but I don't know that it won't work either. So it's worth a try.
Ladies I am not doing this to make you an object to win, I wan't to show you that you are worth fighting for.
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:46:19 AM

Bring Juggle back
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:52:59 AM
At 10/11/2016 12:36:57 AM, xus00HAY wrote:
We need to recruit more pretty girls.
There is this stereotype that pretty girls are not intelligent. This is, of course not true. You may find examples of pretty girls that are dumb, but not all pretty girls are dumb. The percentage of pretty girls who are smart is about the same as the percentage of unattractive girls who are smart, But an intelligent pretty girl knows when she is in a situation when she would do better to act dumb a little.

pretty girls on average are smarter than ugly girls https://www.psychologytoday.com...

scientifically proven
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2016 1:54:35 AM
Just look at the debate leaderboard and girls near the top. Both Danielle and Thett are extremely attractive.
SebUK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 10:37:25 AM
Posted: 1 month ago

Amen
I WILL DECIDE WHAT THIS DEBATE IS ABOUT. I AM SPIRITUAL, NOT RELIGIOYUS. YOU DONT HAVE TO BE RELIGIOUS TO BELIEVE IN GOD, AND YOU DO WORSHIP MONEY IF YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR WALLET THAAN YOU DO THE POOR. YOU ARE A TROLL THAT IS OUT FOR ATTENTUION."- SitaraMusica
headphonegut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:05:27 PM

People used to want to debate anything it feels like the site shifted to only wanting to debate the popular opinion. Or the easily winnable debate. And have stopped debating current affairs or issues with teeth.
crying to soldiers coming home to their dogs why do I torment myself with these videos?
GoogooGaga
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 1:46:38 PM
Step 1) stop the forfeit glitch so it's worth debating as I can farm wins

Step 2) once there's reason to debate alot, i'll visit the site more.
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 6:53:35 AM

Voting seems to be the biggest problem. I like the idea of a voter's union or a sign up to commit to X number of rigorous votes on substantive debates in a week/month that are not clustered.

lower investment debates, say 5000 characters with 3 rounds of arguments would likely encourage voters. Unique/uncommon topics are a great draw and that may be a great thread or tournament.
Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2016 7:00:11 AM
At 10/14/2016 1:05:27 PM, headphonegut wrote:

People used to want to debate anything it feels like the site shifted to only wanting to debate the popular opinion. Or the easily winnable debate. And have stopped debating current affairs or issues with teeth.

Agreed, I'd like to avoid easy wins or snipes at least half the time.