Jump to topic:

Live Debate Tournament?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 7:59:12 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Would anyone be interested in doing something like this? I would prefer to compete rather than host, or I could do both if no one objects and if there is enough interest. But since I have been criticized heavily of late for my hosting decisions, I think competing would be more fun/less stress for me personally. We could even try to generate the rules cooperatively.

It would be nice if the tournament had a single format for all debates, to create uniformity across the tournament, but that wouldn't have to be the case. Ideally, it would be an LD format, IMO. This is mostly just because I love LD, and really miss debating it...coaching isn't quite the same. That being said, any kind of live debate theme/style would be nice. We could make it close to what IRL tournaments look like (where everyone debates a shared topic) or more like how it usually works on DDO (where everyone can pick their topic). There's a lot of freedom in terms of how this could be designed.

Really, though, I'd just like to gauge interest levels in something like this.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 3:34:13 PM
At 10/12/2016 7:59:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Would anyone be interested in doing something like this? I would prefer to compete rather than host, or I could do both if no one objects and if there is enough interest. But since I have been criticized heavily of late for my hosting decisions, I think competing would be more fun/less stress for me personally. We could even try to generate the rules cooperatively.

It would be nice if the tournament had a single format for all debates, to create uniformity across the tournament, but that wouldn't have to be the case. Ideally, it would be an LD format, IMO. This is mostly just because I love LD, and really miss debating it...coaching isn't quite the same. That being said, any kind of live debate theme/style would be nice. We could make it close to what IRL tournaments look like (where everyone debates a shared topic) or more like how it usually works on DDO (where everyone can pick their topic). There's a lot of freedom in terms of how this could be designed.

TUF hosted one recently, but it didn't go past R1, unfortunately. Pity -- it had really great people in it (e.g. Raisor, whiteflame, FT).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 5:24:21 PM
I would love to partake in another one.l
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 6:51:21 PM
I'd be willing to host/moderate or participate
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2016 7:21:23 PM
At 10/12/2016 3:34:13 PM, tejretics wrote:

TUF hosted one recently, but it didn't go past R1, unfortunately. Pity -- it had really great people in it (e.g. Raisor, whiteflame, FT).

That wasn't 'recently'. That was 5 months ago.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:27:26 AM

Would you be interested in competing?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:33:11 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:27:26 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I would have interest in being in the competition.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 12:39:12 AM
At 10/13/2016 12:33:11 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 10/13/2016 12:27:26 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I would have interest in being in the competition.

Cool beans.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:11:29 AM
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh

It would be great if we could get 8 or 12 people to sign up.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:12:20 AM
At 10/12/2016 6:51:21 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
I'd be willing to host/moderate or participate

I think we might be able to moderate it in a cooperative manner--i.e., we can democratically vote on rules and stuff.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:04:12 AM
Since some of the people who have posted here do not have experience in formalized IRL debate, doing an LD tournament is probably not feasible. Some other, generalized IRL format will probably be more productive and understandable for all involved. Alternatively, we could just decide not to proscribe any specific format at all, which is, of course, and option.

Here are some possible ideas for the format. They're inspired by existing IRL debate structures, but I tried to reduce time skews because debaters not used to quick pacing might be unfairly disadvantaged by them. I also tried to create longer (approx. 45 min) and shorter (approx. 35 min) options, and tried to make it so that all debates had 5 or more minutes of prep. In the debates that more closely resemble a PF format, I would force both sides to take prep simultaneously in order to avoid giving Con an effective advantage wherein Con can use Pro's prep as well as their own prep to plan their response to the preceding speech (Pro does not have this luxury). Also, for those who don't know, a "constructive" is just a "case," so a Pro Constructive is Pro's Case. I'd be interested in feedback on these formats.

Idea 1

Total Run Time: 44 minutes

5 min - Pro Constructive
3 min - Cross Ex (Con asks Pro questions)
(Con Prep)
7 min - Con Constructive and Rebuttal of the Pro Constructive
3 min - Cross Ex (Pro asks Con questions)
(Pro Prep)
5 min - Pro defense of own Constructive and Rebuttal of Con Constructive
(Con Prep)
7 min - Con defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Pro Constructive, and Conclusion
(Pro Prep)
4 min - Pro defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Con Constructive, and Conclusion

(w/ 5 minutes of preparation time for each side in-between rebuttals; debaters can choose how they apportion their 5 minutes between their prep periods)

Idea 2

Total Run Time: 46 minutes

6 min - Pro Constructive
6 min - Con Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Pro gets the first question)
(2 minute Prep break--both sides)
4 min - Pro rebuts Con Constructive
4 min - Con rebuts Pro Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Con gets the first question)
4 min - Pro defends own Constructive
4 min - Con defends own Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; coinflip for first question)
(1 minute Prep break--both sides)
2 min - Pro surveys arguments and concludes
2 min - Con surveys arguments and concludes

Idea 3

Total Run Time: 35 minutes

6 min - Pro Constructive
6 min - Con Constructive
(Pro Prep)
3 min - Pro rebuttal of Con Constructive
(Con Prep)
3 min - Con rebuttal of Pro Constructive
(Pro Prep)
3 min - Pro defense of own Constructive
(Con Prep)
3 min - Con defense of own Constructive
(Pro Prep)
2 min - Pro survey of arguments and conclusion
(Con Prep)
2 min - Con survey of arguments and conclusion

(w/ 6 minutes of preparation time for each side in-between rebuttals; debaters can choose how they apportion their 6 minutes between their prep periods)

Idea 4

Total Run Time: 35 minutes

4 min - Pro Constructive
4 min - Con Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Pro gets the first question)
3 min - Pro rebuttal of Con Constructive
3 min - Con rebuttal of Pro Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Con gets the first question)
3 min - Pro defense of own Constructive
3 min - Con defense of own Constructive
(1 minute Prep break--both sides)
2 min - Pro surveys arguments and concludes
2 min - Con surveys arguments and concludes

LD Format

The straight LD format is this...but the time skew can be harsh, and there's less prep time than in the above examples. So, while I would be okay with doing it, keep in mind it's built-in challenges:

6 min - Pro Constructive
(Con Prep)
7 min - Con Constructive and Rebuttal of the Pro Constructive
3 min - Cross Ex (Pro asks Con questions)
(Pro Prep)
4 min - Pro defense of own Constructive and Rebuttal of Con Constructive
(Con Prep)
6 min - Con defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Pro Constructive, and Conclusion
(Pro Prep)
3 min - Pro defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Con Constructive, and Conclusion

(w/ 4 minutes of preparation time for each side in-between rebuttals; debaters can choose how they apportion their 5 minutes between their prep periods)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:07:24 AM
Actually, Idea 3 is 46 minutes long.

If you made the Constructives 4 minutes each, and took 1 minute of prep away for each side, you could get it down to just 40 minutes.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:09:36 AM
I had a lot of fun losing to Objectivity last time; I'm totally down for this.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:11:30 AM
At 10/13/2016 6:09:36 AM, SolonKR wrote:
I had a lot of fun losing to Objectivity last time; I'm totally down for this.

Yay
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 6:12:40 AM
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh
6. Solon
---

It would be great if we could get 8 or 12 people to sign up. If we have some number in-between that, it will be harder to sort people into brackets, but we might be able to manage.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:20:50 AM
At 10/13/2016 6:12:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh
6. Solon
---

It would be great if we could get 8 or 12 people to sign up. If we have some number in-between that, it will be harder to sort people into brackets, but we might be able to manage.
Count me in.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 7:24:13 AM
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh
6. Solon
7. Miss
---

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:06:45 PM
I'm interested, but don't put me in yet
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:51:26 PM
At 10/13/2016 5:49:51 PM, whiteflame wrote:
I'll throw my hat into this.

Sweetness.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 5:51:54 PM
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh
6. Solon
7. Miss
8. Whiteflame
---

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TeaPatriot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2016 11:02:22 PM

This would be good because im practicing for my debate vs a teacher in march

I can only really talk about certain issues though
Chairman of Economic Forum Recovery
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2016 2:33:16 AM
Well, I'll be closing this tomorrow night then.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 2:27:30 AM
At 10/13/2016 5:06:45 PM, fire_wings wrote:
I'm interested, but don't put me in yet

Do you want to play?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 2:28:04 AM
Interested:

1. Lannan
2. Think
3. Uther
4. Peep
5. Bsh
6. Solon
7. Miss
8. Whiteflame
9. FT
10. Tea
(11. Fire)
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 3:08:08 AM
ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN, Y'ALL!

nac
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 3:09:34 AM
Nac
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2016 5:36:55 PM
I guess I can make it 12, but am in the same wagon as FT, and because of my location some days my internet connection is great, and on others it is horrible, so about a 30% chance I would be forced to forfeit. So if everybody can live with me having a 30% chance of forfeiting every round based on my circumstances I am down.