Jump to topic:

Wanting to start debating

tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 6:37:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So I've been reading debates and the forums on this sight for I would guess about a year-and-a-half now trying to get a good idea of how to go about debating in a relatively structured setting. I was wondering what would be a good way to start getting into some debates here. I've technically already completed 1 here but it was "meh" and has 1 vote with all tied points.

-I'm a little apprehensive to propose a debate (I've never been on a debate team or anything so I have little experience)

-Most info about my viewpoints should be available on my profile, I don't think I left anything out but I have to run so if more info would be helpful just ask and I should be checking on my phone in a minute or two.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 6:39:08 PM
The Pats just lost so nothing else matters. Why are you still on DDO? Why are you not crying your face off? WHY DID HE HAVE TO FUMBLE!?!?!?

WHY!!!!
kfc
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 6:39:41 PM
At 1/16/2011 6:37:46 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
So I've been reading debates and the forums on this sight for I would guess about a year-and-a-half now

lurk much lol? You're not gonna be the site pariah if you lose a debate bro.

COME ON IN THE WATER IS WARM
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2011 7:29:32 PM
So I've been reading debates and the forums on this sight for I would guess about a year-and-a-half now trying to get a good idea of how to go about debating in a relatively structured setting. I was wondering what would be a good way to start getting into some debates here. I've technically already completed 1 here but it was "meh" and has 1 vote with all tied points.

-I'm a little apprehensive to propose a debate (I've never been on a debate team or anything so I have little experience)

-Most info about my viewpoints should be available on my profile, I don't think I left anything out but I have to run so if more info would be helpful just ask and I should be checking on my phone in a minute or two.

I didn't go very far through your beliefs, but I'll debate you on abortion.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 12:34:43 AM
@ Koopin - I'm a cheese-head so life is pretty good right now

@ askbob - Yeah it's not so much about not wanting to lose but more so about not wanting to look like a complete fool because I have no idea what I'm doing.

@ bluesteel - That would be terrible, I haven't read almost any arguments on abortion and when I went through the list of "Big Issues" I just put some of them down as a "how I see it at the moment" without a whole lot of info to base it on.

Really the only topics I've argued/discussed are:

- Guns
- Hunting
- Religion... kinda (mostly me arguing against a few of my friends' reasons for being Christians, though I am by no means against most religions)
- I had a couple of less-than-structured debates in my high school history class about the atomic bombing of Japan which devolved into a WWII argument.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 12:36:43 AM
@ askbob - Yeah it's not so much about not wanting to lose but more so about not wanting to look like a complete fool because I have no idea what I'm doing.

No one is that prudish here bro. All you have to be is respectful and not think you know everything there is to know and you're automatically better than 33% of the people here.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 12:38:39 AM
At 1/17/2011 12:34:43 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
@ Koopin - I'm a cheese-head so life is pretty good right now

@ bluesteel - That would be terrible, I haven't read almost any arguments on abortion and when I went through the list of "Big Issues" I just put some of them down as a "how I see it at the moment" without a whole lot of info to base it on.

Really the only topics I've argued/discussed are:

- Guns
- Hunting
- Religion... kinda (mostly me arguing against a few of my friends' reasons for being Christians, though I am by no means against most religions)
- I had a couple of less-than-structured debates in my high school history class about the atomic bombing of Japan which devolved into a WWII argument.

You seem to be worried about structuring your arguments. Just make sure to use labels for your main points - either numbers, titles, etc - and have a clear thesis statement for each paragraph. Basically, be a good writer and choose someone of similar skill level and you'll be fine.

I don't really want to have another debate on guns, but you can put up a topic about guns with age or rank criteria to get an opponent of the skill level you want.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 1:04:57 AM
Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll think of a topic and post it tomorrow (I guess technically today).
Atheism
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 3:12:17 AM

All you have to do is not be INH, charleslb, CJL, JimProfit, Banker, Godsands, or DATCMOTO and you are fine.
I miss the old members.