Jump to topic:

Restriction on semi auto hand guns?

twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:45:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I had a though for a bill for student congress and wanted to get some feedback.

Should the sale of semi automatic handguns with clips of more than 7 rounds be restricted to police and military? Theoretically, who really needs more than a 7 round clip?
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:48:23 AM
At 1/17/2011 9:45:37 AM, twsurber wrote:

Should the sale of semi automatic handguns with clips of more than 7 rounds be restricted to police and military? Theoretically, who really needs more than a 7 round clip?

Good piece of legislation. Very controversial and amenable to debate.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 9:49:27 AM
Theoretically, who really needs more than a 7 round clip?

Theoretically, people with 8 or more targets. :P
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:17:05 AM

How did you draw the line at 7? Why that number? Why not 6, or 8, and what about for sporting and such? Or to fend off a rabid squirrel gang attack?

Just kidding on that last question, but the others ones are legit.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:18:12 AM

Personally, I'm more of a fan of limiting the types of bullets used, but then, I look at gun rights, as what is the best way to maximize self defense, while minimizing destruction.
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:31:00 AM
At 1/17/2011 9:49:27 AM, Puck wrote:
Theoretically, who really needs more than a 7 round clip?

Theoretically, people with 8 or more targets. :P

That was a classic Puck! I am gonna nominate this for next years DDO awards! :o)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:32:28 AM
At 1/17/2011 11:17:05 AM, OreEle wrote:

How did you draw the line at 7?
Well, if you have fewer bullets, you need a lucky number like 7 to fix your self defense capabilities.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:34:18 AM

How did you draw the line at 7? Why that number? Why not 6, or 8, and what about for sporting and such? Or to fend off a rabid squirrel gang attack?

While revolvers typically hold 6, most magazines for targets and such hold a max of 7 rounds. Granted you can chamber a round, and insert another into the magazine giving you 8. The Arizona dude had clips that held 31 rounds.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:54:02 AM
At 1/17/2011 11:34:18 AM, twsurber wrote:

While revolvers typically hold 6, most magazines for targets and such hold a max of 7 rounds. Granted you can chamber a round, and insert another into the magazine giving you 8. The Arizona dude had clips that held 31 rounds.

Okay, but why not put the restriction at 10? For example, the glock 17, typically holds a 17 round clip, but does have an optional 10 round clip where 10 is the restriction.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 11:56:56 AM

Having never handled a gun before it is likely that should I confront a burglar most of my shots will thud into the wall, the ceiling, or my cat. I can't have two many bullets. If I am allowed a 7 round clip, why not an 8 round clip?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 12:05:59 PM
At 1/17/2011 11:56:56 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

Having never handled a gun before it is likely that should I confront a burglar most of my shots will thud into the wall, the ceiling, or my cat. I can't have two many bullets. If I am allowed a 7 round clip, why not an 8 round clip?

Simple solution, have a boat load of guns piled by your bed.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 2:31:34 PM
I would personally like to have around 10 - 15 rounds in a handgun for some of the places I go hunting. Between hogs in the south and mountain lions and black bears when I go up north I'd prefer to have more than a few rounds especially should I get stuck out in the woods from getting lost/injured/hindered due to weather. Also if something should happen during a self-defense situation like a dud round or something it would be nice to be able to simply eject that round and know there's going to be more behind it.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2011 2:44:23 PM
I hunt with a rifle more than with a shotgun but I know plenty of people that bring handguns should they run into hostile wildlife. I can fire a S&W M&P much faster than my bolt-action rifle.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N