Total Posts:26|Showing Posts:1-26
Jump to topic:

Live Debate Tournament Thread

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Welcome to the Live Debate Tournament!

Overview

Major rules for this tournament were chosen more or less democratically, and all participants had an opportunity to vote for which they preferred. Using this process, it was decided to use a randomized, single-elimination bracket, and to not have set formats for the live debate structures. This means that debaters are not power paired, are in sudden-death rounds, and can decide how long and how many speeches their live debates should have.

In order to keep the tournament moving along in a timely fashion, when the pairings for the next round are announced, debaters will have 7 days to finalize the topic they want to debate, to decide on the structure and format of their debate, and to complete their debate. In other words, debates should be in the voting period or decided by the time 7 days have passed from the announcement of the pairings. I recommend that debaters use G+ to record their debate live, and then that they post the recording to a debate on DDO where voters can judge it. Using live judges (those in a hangout watching you) is also feasible. Please do not pre-record speeches, because then the debate is no longer "live." It is okay to pre-write a speech, just don't pre-record a speech. Please keep voting periods to 10 days or less, otherwise this may drag on too long. Debaters can make all other decisions themselves, in consultation with their assigned opponent.

Formats

Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Idea 1

Total Run Time: 44 minutes

5 min - Pro Constructive
3 min - Cross Ex (Con asks Pro questions)
(Con Prep)
7 min - Con Constructive and Rebuttal of the Pro Constructive
3 min - Cross Ex (Pro asks Con questions)
(Pro Prep)
5 min - Pro defense of own Constructive and Rebuttal of Con Constructive
(Con Prep)
7 min - Con defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Pro Constructive, and Conclusion
(Pro Prep)
4 min - Pro defense of own Constructive, Rebuttal of Con Constructive, and Conclusion

(w/ 5 minutes of preparation time for each side in-between rebuttals; debaters can choose how they apportion their 5 minutes between their prep periods)

Idea 2

Total Run Time: 46 minutes

6 min - Pro Constructive
6 min - Con Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Pro gets the first question)
(2 minute Prep break--both sides)
4 min - Pro rebuts Con Constructive
4 min - Con rebuts Pro Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Con gets the first question)
(2 minute Prep break--both sides)
4 min - Pro defends own Constructive
4 min - Con defends own Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; coinflip for first question)
(1 minute Prep break--both sides)
2 min - Pro surveys arguments and concludes
2 min - Con surveys arguments and concludes

Idea 3

Total Run Time: 35 minutes

4 min - Pro Constructive
4 min - Con Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Pro gets the first question)
(2 minute Prep break--both sides)
3 min - Pro rebuttal of Con Constructive
3 min - Con rebuttal of Pro Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Con gets the first question)
(2 minute Prep break--both sides)
3 min - Pro defense of own Constructive
3 min - Con defense of own Constructive
(1 minute Prep break--both sides)
2 min - Pro surveys arguments and concludes
2 min - Con surveys arguments and concludes

Idea 4

Total Run Time: 30 minutes

5 min - Pro Constructive
5 min - Con Constructive
3 min - Crossfire (each side takes turns asking questions; Con gets the first question)
(Pro Prep)
4 min - Pro rebuttal of Con Constructive
(Con Prep)
6 min - Con rebuttal of Pro Constructive and defense of own Constructive
(Pro Prep)
2 min - Pro defense of own Constructive

(w/ 2:30 minutes of preparation time for each side in-between rebuttals; debaters can choose how they apportion their 2:30 minutes between their prep periods)

The Bracket

Because 10 is an awkward number for a bracket, the tournament set-up is a bit wierd. You can access the bracket here: https://docs.google.com...

For the first round of the tournament, these are the pairings:

TeaPatriot vs. Whiteflame
ThinkBig vs. SolonKR

I would also suggest that these debaters get a head start on their rounds:

FourTrouble vs. Lannan13
UtherPenguin vs. Peepette

Good luck! Let the games begin!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
GoogooGaga
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:32:05 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Welcome to the Live Debate Tournament!

Overview

Major rules for this tournament were chosen more or less democratically, and all participants had an opportunity to vote for which they preferred. Using this process, it was decided to use a randomized, single-elimination bracket, and to not have set formats for the live debate structures. This means that debaters are not power paired, are in sudden-death rounds, and can decide how long and how many speeches their live debates should have.

In order to keep the tournament moving along in a timely fashion, when the pairings for the next round are announced, debaters will have 7 days to finalize the topic they want to debate, to decide on the structure and format of their debate, and to complete their debate. In other words, debates should be in the voting period or decided by the time 7 days have passed from the announcement of the pairings. I recommend that debaters use G+ to record their debate live, and then that they post the recording to a debate on DDO where voters can judge it. Using live judges (those in a hangout watching you) is also feasible. Please do not pre-record speeches, because then the debate is no longer "live." It is okay to pre-write a speech, just don't pre-record a speech. Please keep voting periods to 10 days or less, otherwise this may drag on too long. Debaters can make all other decisions themselves, in consultation with their assigned opponent.

Formats

Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 2:36:41 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 2:32:05 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.

Did you even bother to read?

Also you've obviously not done IRL debate in formal leagues in the US.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:06:12 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:01:16 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Are POI's allowed?

What?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:10:42 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.

It might not be what you'd like to do, but this type of debate is far from scripted. The whole point is to go into the debate blind of what your opponent might say, so the majority of the debate can't be scripted. Moreover, this type of debate doesn't necessarily require that both debaters decide on the topic well ahead of time and prepare. Many live styles of debate that have these kinds of structures and only give debaters the topic 15-20 minutes before the debate starts. Even if you somehow know the topic inside and out, that's barely enough time to sketch out an argument, let alone write out a whole script.

These are exercises in public speaking that employ more structured means of engaging with each other. I'm sure you've done some types of debate that employed a more informal style of back and forth, and those can be substantive and have meaning as well. That doesn't make your style better than the ones we plan to use. All it makes it is different.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:11:27 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:01:16 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Are POI's allowed?

Depends on what you and your opponent agree to do. Points of information could be allowed, you just have to set rules.
GoogooGaga
Posts: 92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:19:02 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 2:36:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:32:05 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.

Did you even bother to read?

Also you've obviously not done IRL debate in formal leagues in the US.

Na, I actually have a talent that I practise called persuading, it's actually requiring social skills and charisma, not stereotypical nerd types away in strict structure oh look at me i am master of persuasion.
Serial killers get caught by their signature, I'm not a serial killer though... LOL
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:26:45 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:19:02 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:36:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:32:05 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.

Did you even bother to read?

Also you've obviously not done IRL debate in formal leagues in the US.

Na, I actually have a talent that I practise called persuading, it's actually requiring social skills and charisma, not stereotypical nerd types away in strict structure oh look at me i am master of persuasion.

You realize, right, that there is no proscribed format for the debate? If you were a competitor, and you wanted a more free-form style of debate, then you could do that.

What I think you fail to realize, however, is the value of structure. In debates, a single loud person could monopolize the entire debate simply by being the loudest person in the room. Interruptions could create for chaotic environments where no one really can track what is going on. Structure helps solve for those problems--and I have never seen either of these things happen using the formal debate structures found IRL. Persuasion is also perfectly able to happen under those structures, because you can decide how you use your time and how you present yourself and your arguments--whether you emphasize rhetoric or data or volume or something else.

Ultimately, some kind of structure is essential just to keep the debate orderly and to avoid messiness. But there is no reason that structure cannot be adapted to fit rhetoric or that rhetoric cannot be adapted to fit structure. Since this tournament does not require any debate to follow any particular structure or structures, and people are 100% free to design how their own debates will work, they have the flexibility to choose where the emphasis is going to fall. So, contrary to your initial point, there is no tournament-imposed list of approved structures which artificially limit debaters' options.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
FourTrouble
Posts: 12,760
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 4:32:38 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:26:45 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 3:19:02 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:36:41 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:32:05 AM, GoogooGaga wrote:
At 10/18/2016 2:07:21 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Again, there is no assigned or mandated format for how you structure your speeches. For those in need of ideas, I've posted three below; these are just suggestions.

Way too structured to be fun. The whole point of live debating is that you should be able to have a style and persuade people with your charm. This is so lame, may as well just be typed out scripts.

Did you even bother to read?

Also you've obviously not done IRL debate in formal leagues in the US.

Na, I actually have a talent that I practise called persuading, it's actually requiring social skills and charisma, not stereotypical nerd types away in strict structure oh look at me i am master of persuasion.

You realize, right, that there is no proscribed format for the debate? If you were a competitor, and you wanted a more free-form style of debate, then you could do that.

What I think you fail to realize, however, is the value of structure. In debates, a single loud person could monopolize the entire debate simply by being the loudest person in the room. Interruptions could create for chaotic environments where no one really can track what is going on. Structure helps solve for those problems--and I have never seen either of these things happen using the formal debate structures found IRL. Persuasion is also perfectly able to happen under those structures, because you can decide how you use your time and how you present yourself and your arguments--whether you emphasize rhetoric or data or volume or something else.

Ultimately, some kind of structure is essential just to keep the debate orderly and to avoid messiness. But there is no reason that structure cannot be adapted to fit rhetoric or that rhetoric cannot be adapted to fit structure. Since this tournament does not require any debate to follow any particular structure or structures, and people are 100% free to design how their own debates will work, they have the flexibility to choose where the emphasis is going to fall. So, contrary to your initial point, there is no tournament-imposed list of approved structures which artificially limit debaters' options.

bsh1, this dude is trolling you, lmao
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 4:36:21 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 4:32:38 AM, FourTrouble wrote:
bsh1, this dude is trolling you, lmao

I know, but I generally respond seriously anyway...As you know, I can be a bit defensive...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,091
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 12:51:48 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:06:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 3:01:16 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Are POI's allowed?

What?

Points of information
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 3:43:40 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:06:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 3:01:16 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Are POI's allowed?

What?

Think of it as the parliamentary equivalent to cross examination https://en.m.wikipedia.org...(competitive_debate)
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2016 9:30:56 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
At 10/18/2016 3:43:40 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
At 10/18/2016 3:06:12 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 10/18/2016 3:01:16 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
Are POI's allowed?

What?

Think of it as the parliamentary equivalent to cross examination https://en.m.wikipedia.org...(competitive_debate)

Sure, that can be allowed if you and your opponent agree to it.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2016 11:24:33 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
This debate could use some votes:

http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2016 2:35:46 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Round Two

I am going to post this now to keep this tournament moving along as quickly as feasibly possible.

Information/Rules

Debaters have 7 days from now to finalize the topic they want to debate, to decide on the structure and format of their debate, and to complete their debate. In other words, debates should be in the voting period or decided by the time 7 days have passed from this post. I recommend that debaters use G+ to record their debate live, and then that they post the recording to a debate on DDO where voters can judge it. Using live judges (those in a hangout watching you casting oral ballots in the hangout) is also an option for more instantaneous results. Please do not pre-record speeches, because then the debate is no longer "live." It is okay to pre-write a speech, just don't pre-record a speech. Please keep voting periods to 10 days or less, otherwise this may drag on too long. Debaters can make all other decisions themselves, in consultation with their assigned opponent.

The Bracket

The bracket with a full list of pairings and a record of the tournament's progress can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com...

The pairings for this round are as follows:

Whiteflame vs. MissBailey
Lannan vs. FT
Bsh vs. (Solon or Think)*

*Since this debate will not end its tournament voting period for 2 more days, Bsh and whoever wins this round should start their debate within 9 days of this post.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2016 6:40:44 AM
Posted: 1 month ago
Please vote on this debate, guys!

http://www.debate.org...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TheShadeM
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2016 10:24:43 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I have voted on the debate about animal testing.

Would love to be a part of a live debate community! Where do I sign up? :)
TheShadeM
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:28:26 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
At 11/13/2016 4:07:43 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 11/7/2016 6:40:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Please vote on this debate, guys!

http://www.debate.org...

Still looking for votes on this debate!

Why was my vote removed??
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 3:31:24 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I didn't remove it, but it's because it didn't meet the standards. You're required to specifically assess specific arguments made by both debaters, at least 1 each. BoT will post the reason for removal shortly.
whiteflame
Posts: 1,378
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 6:07:31 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 3:28:26 AM, TheShadeM wrote:
At 11/13/2016 4:07:43 PM, whiteflame wrote:
At 11/7/2016 6:40:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Please vote on this debate, guys!

http://www.debate.org...

Still looking for votes on this debate!

Why was my vote removed??

Responded above.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2016 10:16:44 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
Round Three (Semifinals)

Information/Rules

Debaters have 7 days from now to finalize the topic they want to debate, to decide on the structure and format of their debate, and to complete their debate. In other words, debates should be in the voting period or decided by the time 7 days have passed from this post. I recommend that debaters use G+ to record their debate live, and then that they post the recording to a debate on DDO where voters can judge it. Using live judges (those in a hangout watching you casting oral ballots in the hangout) is also an option for more instantaneous results. Please do not pre-record speeches, because then the debate is no longer "live." It is okay to pre-write a speech, just don't pre-record a speech. Please keep voting periods to 10 days or less, otherwise this may drag on too long. Debaters can make all other decisions themselves, in consultation with their assigned opponent.

The Bracket

The bracket with a full list of pairings and a record of the tournament's progress can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com...

The pairings for this round are as follows:

Whiteflame vs. Lannan
Bsh vs. Uther
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Posts: 23,078
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2016 2:13:17 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
I'm facing Whiteflame, well sh*t.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~