Jump to topic:

Arguments without any impact claims

Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 10:12:00 PM
Posted: 1 month ago
I see this all the time when I try to vote on debates. One side, or both sides, will make arguments highlighting the benefits of his position vs the costs of his opponent's. Often there won't be any impact claims asserted, or the information provided won't be specific enough to weigh the values of the asserted costs and benefits. How should a voter respond when faced with a lack of information? I don't think that it's appropriate to fill in the gaps with independent research or draw on my own knowledge of relevant facts, nor do I think it's appropriate to disregard the arguments altogether.
Conceptua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 11:19:32 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
Me too. I've tried to vote on a bunch of debates since Death32 said the same thing on my debate and I totally see this problem.
Conceptua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2016 11:21:36 PM
Posted: 4 weeks ago
For context: http://www.debate.org...

I really could have done better here, the information given in he debate wasn't enough for the voter to pick between my impacts or my opponent's impacts.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 11:55:15 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
At 11/8/2016 11:21:36 PM, Conceptua wrote:
For context: http://www.debate.org...

I really could have done better here, the information given in he debate wasn't enough for the voter to pick between my impacts or my opponent's impacts.

Remember: it isn't the facts that matter, it's the seriousness of the charge that matters
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%