Jump to topic:

Upgrading the standards of this website

askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:03:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We used to have problems with massive vote bombs on this site. Multiple accounts, biased voting from religious groups, etc.

Before we didn't know who was doing it.

Now we know.

I think we should all harass the crap out of the people who vote on our debates (for or against us) and demand reasons for decisions.

A debater works too hard on their argument to have people judge it without reading it based on their previous existing opinions or having read only part of the debate.

We need to demand critique and give it in return when voting.

Just an FYI and a warning. Vote on my debate and don't leave an explanation. I will bug the shitt out of you until i get one or you unvote.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:06:39 PM
At 1/19/2011 11:03:22 PM, askbob wrote:
We used to have problems with massive vote bombs on this site. Multiple accounts, biased voting from religious groups, etc.

Before we didn't know who was doing it.

Now we know.

I think we should all harass the crap out of the people who vote on our debates (for or against us) and demand reasons for decisions.

A debater works too hard on their argument to have people judge it without reading it based on their previous existing opinions or having read only part of the debate.

We need to demand critique and give it in return when voting.

Just an FYI and a warning. Vote on my debate and don't leave an explanation. I will bug the shitt out of you until i get one or you unvote.

I'm pretty sure harassment is not allowed by the TOS.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:09:00 PM
At 1/19/2011 11:06:39 PM, OreEle wrote:

Don't care. I posted a fair warning.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:56:52 PM
At 1/19/2011 11:09:00 PM, askbob wrote:

And the ToS was brought up with fair warning too.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2011 11:58:36 PM
At 1/19/2011 11:56:52 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 1/19/2011 11:09:00 PM, askbob wrote:

And the ToS was brought up with fair warning too.

Tos has been nullified as the admins have yet to make a standard. Universally the community agrees with excluding harassing from the Tos. The admins have stated that the TOS will be user created.

I'm not randomly harassing people.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:20:57 AM
Do you understand how retarded this idea is?

People can just block you, ya know.

Besides that, it makes you look crazy.

You know you look crazy when the crazy guy calls you crazy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:22:26 AM
You don't need to harass people to set standards. That's a degradation in of itself. I agree with increasing our standards.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:28:12 AM
The tech team needs to make it so you can't vote unless you leave a comment for each point choice. This would solve a lot of problems.
Lets ask them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:32:44 AM
At 1/20/2011 12:28:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
The tech team needs to make it so you can't vote unless you leave a comment for each point choice. This would solve a lot of problems.
Lets ask them.

But then people will write a letter or two for each comment. We need an insightful comment rater where other people gauge if you're allowed to vote.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:34:13 AM
At 1/20/2011 12:32:44 AM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 1/20/2011 12:28:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Lets ask them.

But then people will write a letter or two for each comment. We need an insightful comment rater where other people gauge if you're allowed to vote.

As much as this seems like we would always need to go one more layer to protect voting, after two or three layers, people would be getting quality comments anyway and it wouldn't be worth adding another
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:34:44 AM
I sent a message to Eric about the comment idea.

Even more importantly, I also suggested there be an honor code that people must read before they are able to vote then each time they vote they must check a box which says they recognize the honor code. Believe or not, studies have shown that honor codes dramatically improve conduct.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:40:43 AM
You can't control whether someone else votes, that would create problems especially with minorites.

Serisouly you guys are looking to far into this, we just need to encourage RFD's.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:01:44 AM
At 1/20/2011 12:34:44 AM, FREEDO wrote:
I sent a message to Eric about the comment idea.

Even more importantly, I also suggested there be an honor code that people must read before they are able to vote then each time they vote they must check a box which says they recognize the honor code. Believe or not, studies have shown that honor codes dramatically improve conduct.

Thanks Freedo, I agree on both counts.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:02:01 AM
At 1/20/2011 12:40:43 AM, Alex wrote:
You can't control whether someone else votes, that would create problems especially with minorites.

Serisouly you guys are looking to far into this, we just need to encourage RFD's.

All I'm asking for is comments and an honor code. If we have to have one it would be the honor code. I've seen a lot of promise in it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:06:47 AM
Um, I agree with both suggestions, but can we create a more professional version of this thread for Juggle to look at?

I think someone should not be able to reward points without writing some comment for each point and comments/RFD's should be reportable if they are nonsense (third suggestion - make votebombing/gibberish RFD a reportable infraction, that moderators can correct).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:09:17 AM
At 1/20/2011 1:06:47 AM, bluesteel wrote:
Um, I agree with both suggestions, but can we create a more professional version of this thread for Juggle to look at?

I think someone should not be able to reward points without writing some comment for each point and comments/RFD's should be reportable if they are nonsense (third suggestion - make votebombing/gibberish RFD a reportable infraction, that moderators can correct).

Sending them a message is more effective I would think.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 10:21:20 AM
Well, here's fair warning: Please do not ask me to vote on any debate if i am required to present a commentary on justifying my vote. I also have a tendency to scan some of the overly verbose debates, and i understand from a prior thread that's unofficially verbotten.

Along those lines, no person is required to present any commentary on any debate that i might participate in, and if i'm vote bombed or treated unfairly, i'm okay with that. It's really not a big deal to me if i lose a debate on line, and it's inconceivable for me to consider spending a moment of my time tracking someone down and harassing them, but that's just me.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 11:47:08 AM
At 1/20/2011 10:21:20 AM, innomen wrote:

Please never vote on any of my debates
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:42:45 PM

Psh. Like askbob cares about TOS. What are they going to do? Ban him? Like he wouldn't just make another account anyway. Anyway's I don't think harassing an RFD out of someone would violate TOS anyway, I would say the harassing rule would probably only apply to trolling people unnesicarily, and being a complete @ssshole to them. Unfortunatley for him, some people like it, because the can screw with him back just as much ;-)

Anyways, I agree with Innomen. You get vote bombed, so what. It says alot about the Vote bombers character. But we shouldn't be required to explain each and every vote you place. What if we were required to place a reason on why we voted for our presidents, mayors, and governments officials? Honestly do you think enough people would care? I agree that people should read before they vote, but if they don't, I don't see why anyone should care. People have been possesed by the fact that its all about winning the debate. However if I've debated my hardest and had fun debating, I really don't care if I win the debate or not.

Plus, I really don't know why askbob even cares. It's not like he actually debates anymore, and any of his old debates, just suck. So if you get vote-bombed, suck it up. I say that with love Detective Bob.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:46:47 PM
At 1/20/2011 12:42:45 PM, TUF wrote:
No one likes me on this website, especially askbob

kk dude
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:51:55 PM
At 1/20/2011 12:46:47 PM, askbob wrote:
I hate the fact that people have voted against me on all my crappy old debates. And now I want to impose a new rule not allowing people to vote against me unless they explain why, because I just want to argue with them about their reasons. Also remember guyz, I don't even debate on this site anymore! This makes complete sense huh?

Your smart.
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:54:35 PM
At 1/20/2011 12:51:55 PM, TUF wrote:
I hate the fact that people have voted against me on all my crappy old debates. And now I want to impose a new rule not allowing people to vote against me unless they explain why, because I just want to argue with them about their reasons. Also remember guyz, I don't even debate on this site anymore! This makes complete sense huh?

You're smart.
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:57:31 PM
I mean of course if someone vote bombs you, your going to ask them why they voted that way. But what good is harassing them if they choose not to respond, or give some BS asnwer, going to do? Absolutely nothing.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 12:58:48 PM
At 1/20/2011 12:54:35 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

You're smart.

10/10
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:01:21 PM
At 1/20/2011 12:58:48 PM, askbob wrote:
I have no response because I know my theory is complete bull crap.

Nice man.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:11:04 PM

Your smart.

1) Out of 5 debates Askbob is losing, 2 are past the voting period, and the most recent vote on one was 2 weeks ago by Askbob himself, and after that 1 year ago.

2) He did a debate more recently than you.

You're smart.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:13:25 PM
At 1/20/2011 11:47:08 AM, askbob wrote:
At 1/20/2011 10:21:20 AM, innomen wrote:

Please never vote on any of my debates

Here's what i have done. If someone asks me to vote on their debate i will look at it. If i think they deserve to win i vote in their favor if they didn't do such a good job, i don't vote at all, but will then tend to leave a comment. So it's actually in someone's best interest to have me vote on their debate, but i may not live up to your standards. Again, overly verbose debates on something i really don't care about will get skimmed.

I also only vote when asked, or if there is a particular debate i find interesting.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:23:20 PM

Psh. Like askbob cares about TOS. What are they going to do? Ban him? Like he wouldn't just make another account anyway. Anyway's I don't think harassing an RFD out of someone would violate TOS anyway, I would say the harassing rule would probably only apply to trolling people unnesicarily, and being a complete @ssshole to them. Unfortunatley for him, some people like it, because the can screw with him back just as much ;-)

Anyways, I agree with Innomen. You get vote bombed, so what. It says alot about the Vote bombers character. But we shouldn't be required to explain each and every vote you place. What if we were required to place a reason on why we voted for our presidents, mayors, and governments officials? Honestly do you think enough people would care? I agree that people should read before they vote, but if they don't, I don't see why anyone should care. People have been possesed by the fact that its all about winning the debate. However if I've debated my hardest and had fun debating, I really don't care if I win the debate or not.

Then only informed people would vote... Sounds like a better society to me.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2011 1:26:47 PM
At 1/20/2011 1:23:20 PM, bluesteel wrote:

Then only informed people would vote... Sounds like a better society to me.

Nah, we'd just get some pretty funny material to read.