Jump to topic:

FAN FIC: Insurrection PRELUDE

Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 9:18:34 PM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
Fan Fiction on Debate.org is extremely important. I think the positive affects of having fan fiction in the community is important, it brings together the community like little else can. With the decrease in DDO Hangout activity, this becomes more important. I've seen a decrease in all kinds of community activities other than in Hangouts: mafia, Risk, Cards against Humanity, live mafia, fan fiction, movie viewings on rabbit etc.. This is worrisome since the community aspect of the site makes people want to stay and contribute more to the site more than any other aspect. Losing the strength of the community is one of the worst things that could happen to the site, and lead to its downfall.

For example, it was literally election night of the most interesting election in US history and the DDO Hangout was never full, there should have been 25 or so people trying to get in, not 5. And thett came out of retirement and did his first debate in over a year and the debate only has a handful of comments.

Given that, I'm going to start an epic fan fic. The best fan fic ever made. And since I'm a prodigy writer get hype about it. A new chapter will come ever week on Saturday, so get HYPE for that.

The old man's finger tapped the arm of the chair rather offbeat with the hammering outside of his hut. Not that it would be possible to keep beat with it, mind, given the multitude of beats mixed together: the skip of a child"s foot in a hopscotch game, the sounds of his wife's cooking in the hut over, the click and clack of hooves striking the earth as traders strode past with goods.The hammering stopped, probably because a customer had asked about mending a sword, or an axe, or any of the other pre-medieval devices that were present in the world today.

His finger created a V as it tapped out a beat, moving from side to side, like the baton in the hands of an orchestral conductor as he strokes the beauty of sound. Side to side, around and through to the violins.

His heavy eyes closed at the thought of that, as his eyes inevitably did at the thought of anything from his long ago life. His mind wandered, as it inevitably did back to the people of Debate.org; Biodome, Missmozart, Diqi; discussing, arguing, debating and loving the beauty of music. His deep wrinkles were brought up to a reminiscent grin but then to a painful grimace as the thoughts of those days conjured up the tragedy of its end.

His fingers stopped. His eyes opened.

The hut was archaic, straw for the roof and straw for the walls with the framework of wood cut by the youth of the village. There were eight to ten in every age bracket of the village: children, tweens, teens, and then young adults. Women stayed home tending for the young and men went out to labor and find food. Food was brought to the old man by his wife for each meal, and he always ate it in his chair, too weak to move. He thought then that he would die in that chair. He knew it to be true, but he drew no sorrow from it. His true life had died along with Debate.org, what was left was only memory of the event. The only sorrowful thing about his passing would be the loss of the memory of what DDO was. He knew then, just as he knew he would die, that he must finally tell the tale.

He had told many tales of his life, of other lives, tales of the past that had been passed unto him as he passed unto others. He had never told the story of the downfall of DDO, unable to form the way things happened in his mind, and thus unable to correctly communicate it to someone. The story was too important to be done incorrectly, it had to be perfect. His new-found knowledge of death gave him the words, the story came to him by instinct.

He noticed the eager eyes of a little girl peeking sneakily around the entrance of his hut, and a tug on her hand-me-down dress as the children behind her waited for the verdict of whether elderman Hayd was taking another one of his naps.

"His eyes just opened!" the little girl whispered excitedly to her friends behind.

"That doesn"t mean he"s awake," a boy in the back contended, "Elderman 1harderthanyouthink slept with his eyes open once."

"I am awake children." Hayd"s surprisingly clear and lively voice spoke to the entrance of the hut.

The little girl peeked around the wooden pole of the entrance. Her face was powdered with dirt from the roads, crusted onto her ginger hair. Her smile brightened her twinkling blue eyes as she saw the wrinkled skinny old man wrapped in three layers of buffalo hide blankets in a wooden chair smiling back at her.

She hurried in and sat on the ground in front of him, the other children following suit; plopping their small innocent bodies onto the cool earth, their eyes watching him eagerly, waiting for a story.

"The downfall of Debate.org, a utopia in concept but a dystopia when grounded; its spine becomes its bane, realism overcomes and eliminates idealism," he took a sip of the ale, paused, and cringed; an ink black spiked helmet, an empty scabbard of leather, absolute innocence played and betrayed, heroes turned villains killing villains turned heroes, reclusive mad men becoming leading inspires, love and ignorance, unconditional loyalty and conditional obsession; he chugged down half the container of alcohol, "this is the story of how the former glorious world of DDO was destroyed and reduced to the remnants of that idea that is our world today. As this event is a cause and effect scenario, and my purpose is to explain why things are the way they are today--the effect in this case--I must start with the greatest of the causing factors: the existence of a person named YYW."
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 9:33:05 PM
At 11/12/2016 9:18:34 PM, Hayd wrote:

Well done. Can't wait for the next installment :)
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 9:36:59 PM
At 11/12/2016 9:33:05 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:

Thanks <3

Apparently most people make an outline of how their plot will go, with a climax and resolution and stuff. But I'm improvising as I go. You have as much idea about what happened to DDO as I do or what YYW did lol. I'm just going as I *feel* it. I think it's important to not have a plan and just feel it, especially if you're a prodigy.
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 9:45:57 PM
At 11/12/2016 9:36:59 PM, Hayd wrote:

Thanks <3

Apparently most people make an outline of how their plot will go, with a climax and resolution and stuff. But I'm improvising as I go. You have as much idea about what happened to DDO as I do or what YYW did lol. I'm just going as I *feel* it. I think it's important to not have a plan and just feel it, especially if you're a prodigy.

Yeah, that's what I usually do too. It usually turns into a set of incoherent ramblings with no clear plot direction 'cause I'm bad at improvising. :(
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 9:55:30 PM
At 11/12/2016 9:45:57 PM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 11/12/2016 9:36:59 PM, Hayd wrote:

Thanks <3

Yeah, that's what I usually do too. It usually turns into a set of incoherent ramblings with no clear plot direction 'cause I'm bad at improvising. :(

Yeah, not that many people are prodigies
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2016 10:12:10 PM
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

nac
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Dujec
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 4:08:28 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago