Jump to topic:

DDO Presidency

Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:11:21 AM
Posted: 3 weeks ago
I joined right after the DDO presidency was abolished. I just had a few questions about it:

--What is the role of the President/what do they do?

--Why was it so controversial?

--Pros/Cons of Presidency
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:19:07 AM
At 11/14/2016 4:11:21 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
I joined right after the DDO presidency was abolished. I just had a few questions about it:

Community ambassador and organizer.

YYW and Imabench didn't like it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Tree_of_Death
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:26:52 AM
At 11/14/2016 4:19:07 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Ambassador to Juggle?
"If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult."--Kermit the Frog

#Treebrokethechurchbells--DD

"I am after all the purveyor of intellectually dishonest propaganda." --YYW
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:28:32 AM
At 11/14/2016 4:26:52 AM, Tree_of_Death wrote:
At 11/14/2016 4:19:07 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Ambassador to Juggle?

Supposed to be, but in general they became a community representative as a whole.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 4:40:28 AM

Mostly community organizer. If juggle ever got active, the president would also be their point of contact on site reforms and non-mod issues.

A few prominent members didn't see it's utility and complained vociferously. Also, the two of the more recent elections devolved into massive dramafests which fueled those who wanted to abolish the office. Admittedly, the drama in the election process was a problem.

Well, I think I articulated the main Con: dramatic elections. The pros included things like tournament organization, having a ready community representative who could liaise with juggle and lobby for policies, having someone with the formal clout to run site programs and to recruit people to participate in those programs. I think they had a lot more "oomph" behind them when the "president" ran them. The presidency was always, however, in a weak position because it's benefits were "soft power" benefits, and so were also rather vague and hard to weigh. Given the obvious drama, I could see the case for abolishing the office, though I disagreed.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 5:11:08 AM

The presidency was a meaningless title that lots of people fought about. The last president was liked by some, but disdained by many and that led to a tremendous amount of passive aggression among members who fought about stupid trivialities. Some people cared about the trivialities a bit, but they became a means through which to channel their rage about deeper personal issues.

Recognizing these problems, Imabench announced that he was running for president to abolish the presidency. This, however, was disfavored because many (stupid) people voted for a much more controversial member who essentially sabotaged Imabench's efforts. That was not because they wanted to keep the presidency, so much as it was because they wanted Imabench to not be able to claim that he abolished the presidency. Their reasons, presumably, began and ended with "for teh lulz."

This was especially distressing because even though the majority of the site wanted to abolish the presidency, this latter and more controversial candidate managed to defeat what was essentially a scheme set up by Airmax and Imabench. The scheme was that electing imabench meant that the presidency was over. Now, Imabench had lost but people still wanted the presidency to end.

Recognizing the problem, and after much behind the scenes work with some of the parties mentioned above, and others, I established a highly controversial thread to abolish the presidency. The members voted, and the presidency was abolished in what can only be described as the most egregious clusterfuck I have ever seen on the site. Members had full-blown psychological breakdowns over ending the presidency. This was hilarious for me, and for most others on the site. Many members embarrassed themselves in ways that will never, ever be forgotten. It was beautiful.

That all to say... the presidency has no role. It is an artifact of structural idiocy that began as a joke, was for stupid reasons made into an institution in its own rite, was mismanaged by some, passed off by others, and generally ran into the ground in the end.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2016 9:24:32 PM

At one point the presidency was a means for communication with Juggle's development team. As Juggle slowly stopped becoming as active on the site, it became more of a community organizer role. It was controversial because people made a bigger deal about the role's importance and it's perception of power, and eventually it collapsed. See YYW's description on how. If at any point Juggle returns to the site, I'd hope to see the role returned.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
mc9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 2:34:04 AM
At 11/14/2016 4:40:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Mostly community organizer. If juggle ever got active, the president would also be their point of contact on site reforms and non-mod issues.

A few prominent members didn't see it's utility and complained vociferously. Also, the two of the more recent elections devolved into massive dramafests which fueled those who wanted to abolish the office. Admittedly, the drama in the election process was a problem.

Lol it was like house of cards

Well, I think I articulated the main Con: dramatic elections. The pros included things like tournament organization, having a ready community representative who could liaise with juggle and lobby for policies, having someone with the formal clout to run site programs and to recruit people to participate in those programs. I think they had a lot more "oomph" behind them when the "president" ran them. The presidency was always, however, in a weak position because it's benefits were "soft power" benefits, and so were also rather vague and hard to weigh. Given the obvious drama, I could see the case for abolishing the office, though I disagreed.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2016 8:26:32 PM
At 11/14/2016 4:40:28 AM, bsh1 wrote:

so the monthly beginners tourney is gone?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 1:35:44 AM
At 11/15/2016 8:26:32 PM, fire_wings wrote:

It just required a lot of work, and people voted me out of office specifically because they thought I was doing too much and bureaucratizing the site. If people want me to bring it back...I can. One person's asked already, but I'd need help.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 6:52:30 AM
At 11/16/2016 1:35:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 11/15/2016 8:26:32 PM, fire_wings wrote:

It just required a lot of work, and people voted me out of office specifically because they thought I was doing too much and bureaucratizing the site. If people want me to bring it back...I can. One person's asked already, but I'd need help.

okay
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Jerry947
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2016 10:40:54 PM
Posted: 2 weeks ago

They didn't do anything that you can't do yourself.

A lot of people on this site are wimps. If anyone disagrees with someone, everything goes south.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/17/2016 7:23:08 AM
Posted: 2 weeks ago
At 11/14/2016 5:11:08 AM, YYW wrote:

The presidency was a meaningless title that lots of people fought about. The last president was liked by some, but disdained by many and that led to a tremendous amount of passive aggression among members who fought about stupid trivialities. Some people cared about the trivialities a bit, but they became a means through which to channel their rage about deeper personal issues.

Recognizing these problems, Imabench announced that he was running for president to abolish the presidency. This, however, was disfavored because many (stupid) people voted for a much more controversial member who essentially sabotaged Imabench's efforts. That was not because they wanted to keep the presidency, so much as it was because they wanted Imabench to not be able to claim that he abolished the presidency. Their reasons, presumably, began and ended with "for teh lulz."

This was especially distressing because even though the majority of the site wanted to abolish the presidency, this latter and more controversial candidate managed to defeat what was essentially a scheme set up by Airmax and Imabench. The scheme was that electing imabench meant that the presidency was over. Now, Imabench had lost but people still wanted the presidency to end.

Recognizing the problem, and after much behind the scenes work with some of the parties mentioned above, and others, I established a highly controversial thread to abolish the presidency. The members voted, and the presidency was abolished in what can only be described as the most egregious clusterfuck I have ever seen on the site.

^ Now THAT is the fuckin truth right there XD

Members had full-blown psychological breakdowns over ending the presidency. This was hilarious for me, and for most others on the site. Many members embarrassed themselves in ways that will never, ever be forgotten. It was beautiful.

That all to say... the presidency has no role. It is an artifact of structural idiocy that began as a joke, was for stupid reasons made into an institution in its own rite, was mismanaged by some, passed off by others, and generally ran into the ground in the end.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015