Jump to topic:

Varying Debate sites

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:31:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are some other debate sites that we could possible setup inter-site debates, help spread word of DDO, and help grow the site?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:33:29 AM
At 1/21/2011 11:31:09 AM, OreEle wrote:
What are some other debate sites that we could possible setup inter-site debates, help spread word of DDO, and help grow the site?

I really love the idea of inter-site debates, although the little experience with Yickyak wasn't great. There is a fairly active site called for and against, but it's mostly filled with children. I haven't been on it for a long time.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:46:51 AM
At 1/21/2011 11:33:29 AM, innomen wrote:
There is a fairly active site called for and against, but it's mostly filled with children. I haven't been on it for a long time.

This guy has: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 11:54:12 AM
There's http://www.idebate.org..., but that isn't really like our site, they do debates differently (but you do have to give a reason when voting).

But I would really like to see this get off the ground and maybe have something happen for it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 3:57:10 PM
At 1/21/2011 11:54:12 AM, OreEle wrote:
There's http://www.idebate.org..., but that isn't really like our site, they do debates differently (but you do have to give a reason when voting).

But I would really like to see this get off the ground and maybe have something happen for it.

I didn't really see that as a debate site. How about: http://www.convinceme.net...
I'd be more than happy to enter in any of these places and see if we could get something going. We'd need more support from the members here though.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:14:58 PM
At 1/21/2011 3:57:10 PM, innomen wrote:

I didn't really see that as a debate site. How about: http://www.convinceme.net...
I'd be more than happy to enter in any of these places and see if we could get something going. We'd need more support from the members here though.

I'm working on a few, I'm trying to get in touch with our leaders (cody and freeman) on this. I haven't heard anything back yet.

Also have not heard anything on this from Julia (though I think she is probably busy with other things).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:20:38 PM

Those two sites are actually very similar, rather then having a 1 on 1 debate, like we do here, they have a question and when you vote PRO or CON, you post your reasoning for that (so there is really no rebuttal).

I've checked into ODN (Online Debate Network). They try to do debates on a vbulletin system. By having at the top "this debate lasts 5 rounds per person" and I'm guessing that anyone that posts in there (other then the participants) will have their posts deleted.

So far, that seems the most promising.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:21:11 PM
At 1/21/2011 4:20:38 PM, OreEle wrote:

Those two sites are actually very similar, rather then having a 1 on 1 debate, like we do here, they have a question and when you vote PRO or CON, you post your reasoning for that (so there is really no rebuttal).

I've checked into ODN (Online Debate Network). They try to do debates on a vbulletin system. By having at the top "this debate lasts 5 rounds per person" and I'm guessing that anyone that posts in there (other then the participants) will have their posts deleted.

http://www.onlinedebatenetwork.net...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:31:54 PM
At 1/21/2011 4:21:11 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 1/21/2011 4:20:38 PM, OreEle wrote:

http://www.onlinedebatenetwork.net...

I did look at it. It certainly doesn't look as active as we are. They might have some decent debaters there.

Let's take another look at forandagainst.com maybe they've improved. They used to be very active.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 4:55:25 PM
ODN HATES DDO. I'm not sure how much of that hate seethes into willingness to debate with us tho.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:05:47 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:02:29 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/21/2011 4:55:25 PM, lovelife wrote:
ODN HATES DDO. I'm not sure how much of that hate seethes into willingness to debate with us tho.

I know that they hate us. My people have done some recon work. What we're not entirely sure of is why.

We've seen a few indicators, but we're giving ODN the benefit of the doubt that their reasons aren't as stupid as we think.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:09:33 PM

And why do they hate us? The only time I've seen total sites "hate" another is if people openly try to take members, or if they all came from an old site that had a ban happy mod.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:11:07 PM
They hate DDO for allowing trolling, stupidity, stalking, flaming, harassment, and for vote bombing.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:12:11 PM
I've looked into it and after talking to some user mods it seems like they just are elitist.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:12:27 PM

I know that they hate us. My people have done some recon work. What we're not entirely sure of is why.

how long ago was that? I see that they had a "grand re-opening" back in July.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:13:10 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:12:27 PM, OreEle wrote:

how long ago was that? I see that they had a "grand re-opening" back in July.

After the election.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:14:24 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:11:07 PM, lovelife wrote:
They hate DDO because lovelife and Insert went on their and whined about a bunch of shitt

oh ok
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:14:46 PM
there*
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:18:59 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:13:36 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/21/2011 5:12:11 PM, lovelife wrote:
I've looked into it and after talking to some user mods it seems like they just are elitist.

Except their "elite" are just pretentious douchebags. :)

lol, I don't think that is going to help things smooth out.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:21:34 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:18:59 PM, OreEle wrote:

Just an unrelated nugget of honesty. :P
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:32:19 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:21:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yes, but this is not a conversation that they need to hire wikileaks to turn up. :P

And while inter-community standards may be different with each site its not like we have a big invitation on the front pages for people to be disrespectful and flame. Its not like Phil let joshandr30 just do what he wanted or let "mrsDATCMOTO" roam free, and I am certain juggle has no intention of starting that trend
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:38:33 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:32:19 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
At 1/21/2011 5:21:34 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Yes, but this is not a conversation that they need to hire wikileaks to turn up. :P

If they ask me honestly, I'll tell them what I think of them. If they get so offended by my personal statement that they're unwilling to deal with the rest of DDO because of it, then they're welcome to it.

And while inter-community standards may be different with each site its not like we have a big invitation on the front pages for people to be disrespectful and flame. Its not like Phil let joshandr30 just do what he wanted or let "mrsDATCMOTO" roam free, and I am certain juggle has no intention of starting that trend

Uhh... How much do you know about Phil and josh? I think you might want to fact-check that a bit.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 5:45:25 PM
At 1/21/2011 5:38:33 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Uhh... How much do you know about Phil and josh? I think you might want to fact-check that a bit.

I mean in the sense that, even though you've been here a LOT longer than me, I think it's factually inaccurate to say that Phil actually kept the guy on a tight leash.
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2011 7:10:56 PM
No, good lord it would have been great to have gotten rid of the josh problem sooner, but the gears of government, or in this cases phil, turn slowly. While the action was nowhere near as fast as it could have been, neither in word or taken actions did phil support the vote-bombings in such, unlike a different website where he moved where if I remember right, was a sight specifically catered for people banned from other forums, trolls, etc. (unfortunately I can't seem to dig up the link or site; If I remember right it was Panda who found josh?)

Think of it like Bush after Hurricane Rita; pretty much agreed that the FEMA response was slow, not adequate fast enough, etc. However, its a much different step to say Bush wanted hurricanes to hit the area and harm the people there. Just as Bush did not attract hurricanes intentionally, and really can't do much to prevent them (various experimental technologies excluded), we don't attract vote-bombers intentionally, and various mind-control technologies excluded, can't do much to prevent them. All that is possible in both cases is damage control, after the fact