Jump to topic:

Increasing voting participation - brainstorm

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:54:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone have any ideas that may help to increase voting participation without cutting into voting quality?

One idea that has been put forward is a voting counter. Like we have a counter that counts our posts, and our debates, how about one that counts how much we vote? If this is done, it may also be able to be extended to allow people to see how one has voted to track potential vote bombing practices (maybe limit that to mods, so there is minimal risk of voter intimidation).

Please discuss, as communication is the first step to change.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:56:23 PM
At 1/22/2011 12:54:25 PM, OreEle wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas that may help to increase voting participation without cutting into voting quality?

One idea that has been put forward is a voting counter. Like we have a counter that counts our posts, and our debates, how about one that counts how much we vote? If this is done, it may also be able to be extended to allow people to see how one has voted to track potential vote bombing practices (maybe limit that to mods, so there is minimal risk of voter intimidation).

Hard question. How do you force people to act responsibly?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:59:42 PM

Please discuss, as communication is the first step to change.:

That could work. It lists how many times they voted and on what debates. Let's market it as the "DDO Transparency movement." Should be super easy to code.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:01:19 PM
At 1/22/2011 12:56:23 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Hard question. How do you force people to act responsibly?

How do you mean? You mean if you can go and see every vote the I've done to see if I've vote bombed? I think that "power" may (this should be discussed out first) be limited to the admins, so that there is no vigilante justice, or if we can track it ourselves, then we need to hold ourselves to a standard that if we find something, we send it to the admin to let them decide the appropriate course of action, rather then take matters into our own hands.

Another idea, going in a different thread, is requiring RFD on votes before votes will be counted (that thread is more focused on raising quality of votes, this one is focused on quantity).
Sangers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 11:58:23 AM
Fix that stupid "Confirm your identity " thing. I don't have frigging optus! Limiting voters to US users is just plain dumb :(
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:06:24 PM
At 1/23/2011 11:56:00 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Perhaps create a DDO award for "best judge". This would be based on how fair a voter is as a judge.

That sounds good. Of course, to be able to accurately vote on that, we would need to be able to see how each person votes (so a vote tracking system would be needed).
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 12:07:20 PM
At 1/23/2011 12:06:24 PM, OreEle wrote:
Perhaps create a DDO award for "best judge". This would be based on how fair a voter is as a judge.

That sounds good. Of course, to be able to accurately vote on that, we would need to be able to see how each person votes (so a vote tracking system would be needed).

the vote track system seems like a good idea.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 2:03:18 PM
People might have the inclination to vote for quantity rather than quality.

In any case, increasing voter turnout is important, but I'm not quite sure whether this is the proper way to go about it.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 2:08:38 PM
At 1/23/2011 2:03:18 PM, rarugged wrote:

In any case, increasing voter turnout is important, but I'm not quite sure whether this is the proper way to go about it.

You don't even go here
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 2:10:53 PM
At 1/23/2011 2:03:18 PM, rarugged wrote:

That is part of the reason we want to pair this with the RFD resolution.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 4:10:47 PM

Yeah, let me vote !
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 11:12:52 AM

I like that idea.
twsurber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 11:13:29 AM
At 1/23/2011 11:58:23 AM, Sangers wrote:
Fix that stupid "Confirm your identity " thing. I don't have frigging optus! Limiting voters to US users is just plain dumb :(

Agreed
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 2:04:16 PM
At 1/24/2011 11:13:29 AM, twsurber wrote:
At 1/23/2011 11:58:23 AM, Sangers wrote:

Agreed

Agreed
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:34:29 PM
We could introduce a DDO currency. Ex. Starting a debate costs 5 credits. If you vote you gain 1 credit per debate voted on. If you win a debate you get 10 credits. Etc.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:41:39 PM
At 1/24/2011 5:39:53 PM, mongeese wrote:
Nah. That discourages starting debates and encourages mass, thoughtless voting.

That is true
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 5:42:19 PM
At 1/24/2011 5:34:29 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
We could introduce a DDO currency. Ex. Starting a debate costs 5 credits. If you vote you gain 1 credit per debate voted on. If you win a debate you get 10 credits. Etc.

The problem occurs that if people don't vote, then they don't get credits, and then they cannot start debates, and the entire system may risk chocking itself off.

Also what mongeese said.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:42:40 PM
I think the best would be a listing of how a person has voted in many debates, similar to the current lists of what debates a person has had, which displays both how they voted and what their RFD was. I disagree with every other system listed, as they move priorities away from what they should be. I think it would be best in the open, as anybody could find it anyway, and "vigilante justice" could also be visible as a crime. It should be just reported to the mods.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 6:43:34 PM
You disagree with my initiative?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 7:07:21 PM
At 1/24/2011 6:42:40 PM, mongoose wrote:
I disagree with every other system listed, as they move priorities away from what they should be.

Special regocnition for being the most active fair voter redirects priorities in a negative way?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 7:09:32 PM
At 1/24/2011 7:07:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
I disagree with every other system listed, as they move priorities away from what they should be.

Special regocnition for being the most active fair voter redirects priorities in a negative way?

Forgot about that. How could that possibly be measured? If you give a formula of some sort, people will follow the formula, which would result in voting by formula, not by logic.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 7:16:18 PM
At 1/24/2011 7:09:32 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 1/24/2011 7:07:21 PM, mongeese wrote:

Forgot about that. How could that possibly be measured? If you give a formula of some sort, people will follow the formula, which would result in voting by formula, not by logic.

It's simple. People post RFDs when they vote. People read these RFDs, and we have votes of who the fairest RFDer is. There will be no formula, but instead human expectations of fairness.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 9:19:13 PM
At 1/24/2011 7:16:18 PM, mongeese wrote:
It's simple. People post RFDs when they vote. People read these RFDs, and we have votes of who the fairest RFDer is. There will be no formula, but instead human expectations of fairness.

So to solve the issue of perceived poorer voting turnout ... you want a system where people need to vote on more things? K.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 9:36:51 PM
At 1/24/2011 9:19:13 PM, Puck wrote:

So to solve the issue of perceived poorer voting turnout ... you want a system where people need to vote on more things? K.

They don't have to vote on more things. They just get recognized if they do.
Puck
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 9:40:11 PM
At 1/24/2011 9:36:51 PM, mongeese wrote:

Need is in context of your plan being viable, so I'm not sure what your point is otherwise.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 10:32:52 PM
At 1/24/2011 9:40:11 PM, Puck wrote:

Need is in context of your plan being viable, so I'm not sure what your point is otherwise.

We need more intelligent votes; therefore, we reward intelligent voting with recognition.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2011 11:50:57 PM
At 1/24/2011 10:32:52 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 1/24/2011 9:40:11 PM, Puck wrote:

We need more intelligent votes; therefore, we reward intelligent voting with recognition.

I think this risks rewarding popular voting rather then intelligent voting.