Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 10:56:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Debate:
http://www.debate.org...
The Current Vote of Gavin:
http://awesomescreenshot.com...

I want an RFD. Gavin failed to provide it ; he did try but I showed how it's not a proper or at the very least not a satisfying RFD. After my request for a proper RFD, I got this:

"Did the 15 people who voted against you in our debate have good excuses for voting against you?(he claimed he was vote bombed, despite the fact that he was simply outdone) Well, I've voted against you, in this debate, for quite the same reason, so grow a pair and learn from your trials and tribulations like the rest of us. Otherwise, put up, or shut up."

As you can see this is completely irrelevant. Where's the explanation ? Where are his reasons ? He completely avoided my request. I decided to go on with the conversation hoping that I'll get an explanation. I ended up getting 3 full comments of nothing but insults >.> *sigh*. Yeah, my conduct wasn't that good either but wouldn't it be easier to just give an RFD ?

Wherefore, where's my RFD, Gavin ?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:05:38 AM
At 1/26/2011 10:56:57 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
The Debate:

I want an RFD. Gavin failed to provide it ; he did try but I showed how it's not a proper or at the very least not a satisfying RFD. After my request for a proper RFD, I got this:

"Did the 15 people who voted against you in our debate have good excuses for voting against you?(he claimed he was vote bombed, despite the fact that he was simply outdone) Well, I've voted against you, in this debate, for quite the same reason, so grow a pair and learn from your trials and tribulations like the rest of us. Otherwise, put up, or shut up."

As you can see this is completely irrelevant. Where's the explanation ? Where are his reasons ? He completely avoided my request. I decided to go on with the conversation hoping that I'll get an explanation. I ended up getting 3 full comments of nothing but insults >.> *sigh*. Yeah, my conduct wasn't that good either but wouldn't it be easier to just give an RFD ?

Needless to say I still believe that I won this debate (strongly too but I am trying to use the internet less and not more). However, all of my comments were before the voting began so when hes says this, he is lying.
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:07:42 AM
At 1/26/2011 11:05:38 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/26/2011 10:56:57 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
The Debate:

Needless to say I still believe that I won this debate (strongly too but I am trying to use the internet less and not more). However, all of my comments were before the voting began so when hes says this, he is lying.

The Debate:
"Sex before marriage"
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:31:35 AM
Vardas, Gavin gave you an RFD. Like it or lump it it's a legitimate RFD. I rarely read whole debates but I decided to read this one due to it's length and my curiosity. Although I feel both debaters need improvement, in terms of sources to back their assertions, making their arguments clearer, and expanding on their arguments, I do feel Pro was the better of the two overall.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:35:13 AM
gavin.ogden wrote:

RFD:

Conduct:tie, no ad hom, personal attacks or the like.

Spelling/Grammar:Pro, self explanatory.

Argument:Pro. As pro pointed out, con did not make one affirmative argument for the side of theism. Also, his refutations lacked the strength to properly negate the Pro.

Sources:Tie, neither had any reliable sources.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:38:38 AM
The fu ck is with FRD whining anyway? Sure I get RFD's are better and more helpful, and asking people to provide them is legit, but I see no reason to make a thread because someone hasn't -shrugs-
Panda says it was given anyway.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:44:47 AM
At 1/26/2011 11:35:13 AM, bluesteel wrote:
gavin.ogden wrote:

RFD:

Argument:Pro. As pro pointed out, con did not make one affirmative argument for the side of theism. Also, his refutations lacked the strength to properly negate the Pro.

Where are his reasons ? This is rambling.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:48:31 AM
At 1/26/2011 11:38:38 AM, lovelife wrote:
The fu ck is with FRD whining anyway? Sure I get RFD's are better and more helpful, and asking people to provide them is legit, but I see no reason to make a thread because someone hasn't -shrugs-
Panda says it was given anyway.

Not my reason for asking. I knew that I'll get vote bombed so I decided to make this obvious.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 11:50:51 AM
At 1/26/2011 11:44:47 AM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/26/2011 11:35:13 AM, bluesteel wrote:
gavin.ogden wrote:

RFD:

Where are his reasons ? This is rambling.

No, that is an RFD. Unless you have mental difficulties which seem to currently be apparent.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:05:52 PM
I could not have been any more clear in my RFD. What do you want me to do, just start a new debate to show you where your arguments failed? If you don't understand the language, that's one thing, and could possibly just be a communication breakdown. However, if you understand the language, and still can't figure out what I made very clear in my RFD, then there is nothing more I can do for you. Get over yourself.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:10:06 PM
Gavin's vote was completely legitimate. You certainly did not win the arguments points. His RFD was clear and adequately explained how he voted. There is nothing to complain about.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:22:13 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:10:06 PM, Grape wrote:
Gavin's vote was completely legitimate. You certainly did not win the arguments points. His RFD was clear and adequately explained how he voted. There is nothing to complain about.

By that logic there's no such thing as vote bombing. Assume that you're debating someone about the existence of X. Now, the debate focuses on your opponents arguments ; guy says that you presented no arguments so he votes against you. By that logic that guy is right in his vote.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:27:44 PM
You know, a possibility reason people don't give RFD might be that those who give RFD receive more harassment then those who don't.
Open borders debate:
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:30:00 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:22:13 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

By that logic there's no such thing as vote bombing. Assume that you're debating someone about the existence of X. Now, the debate focuses on your opponents arguments ; guy says that you presented no arguments so he votes against you. By that logic that guy is right in his vote.

No, the point is that if anyone voted for you, then they vote bombed, because your arguments and rebuttals were clearly inferior to anyone with a brain. I will give everyone here a perfect example of what I am talking about...

Vardas is currently getting slammed 76-7 in our debate, and still thinks he had a better debate. The truth is that this is a very widely debated topic that should have been very close. I was taken aback by Vardas' elementary arguments, and his poor conduct, and apparently the overwhelming majority agreed. Vardas, its time to grow up, buddy.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:30:00 PM
I think Gavin.ogden should apologize.. and, in order to make up for it, ought to leave the site immediately.

Really though... the apology isn't all too necessary.. Actions speak louder than words, so maybe he shouldn't bother with the apology.. and just leave a bit quicker :/
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:31:05 PM
8)

caps!
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:31:43 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:30:00 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
I think Gavin.ogden should apologize.. and, in order to make up for it, ought to leave the site immediately.

Really though... the apology isn't all too necessary.. Actions speak louder than words, so maybe he shouldn't bother with the apology.. and just leave a bit quicker :/

Alright, I'll leave eventually, so why don't you just hold your breath until then.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:32:03 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:22:13 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

By that logic there's no such thing as vote bombing.

Leann what votebombing is before using the term so liberally.

Assume that you're debating someone about the existence of X. Now, the debate focuses on your opponents arguments ;

Which is the flaw. Con should present arguments as well.

guy says that you presented no arguments so he votes against you. By that logic that guy is right in his vote.

Because of the aforementioned flaws you lose arguments.

Simple.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:32:53 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:31:43 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:

Alright, I'll leave eventually, so why don't you just hold your breath until then.

I will beat you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:33:37 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:32:53 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I will beat you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just give me few days to finish the debates
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:34:47 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:32:53 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Was that meant as a threat, or a come on? Either way, I'm not interested. Sorry...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:34:59 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:32:38 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 1/26/2011 12:31:05 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
8)

caps!

mattrodstrom, you should go have crying time with vardas.

I was just surprised that, of the two of you, you weren't actually the dummy in this debacle

Metaphysics:
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:36:04 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:34:59 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
8)

caps!

I was just surprised that, of the two of you, you weren't actually the dummy in this debacle

Fair enough.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:36:18 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:27:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
You know, a possibility reason people don't give RFD might be that those who give RFD receive more harassment then those who don't.

After repeatedly asking for justification of his obvious bias votes all I got was insults and thats all. Not an RFD surrounded by insults but just insults.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:38:50 PM
8)

caps!

Why do you always imagine me crying ? I always find that very odd.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:39:01 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:36:18 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/26/2011 12:27:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:

After repeatedly asking for justification of his obvious bias votes all I got was insults and thats all. Not an RFD surrounded by insults but just insults.

My initial intention was not insults, but at some point, when someone just gives you no reason to believe that they have a human brain, why not insult them? Nothing else gets through, in regard to constructive criticism.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:40:07 PM
At 1/26/2011 12:38:50 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
8)

caps!

Why do you always imagine me crying ? I always find that very odd.

Why don't you ask everyone else? Maybe whining would be a more accurate term.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:40:19 PM
*sigh* Clearly the basis for this is that Vardas feels he should have beaten Gavin.ogden in their debate and thus wants to get back at him.

Vardas, stop, it's childish. We've explained to you why Gavins RFD is legit and why you lost. There have been serious votebombing incidents in the past and by comparison this is nothing. It's a cry for attention, nothing else.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 12:50:06 PM
lol, vardas, this clearly backfired and what you're doing now is bad conduct

I encourage anyone reading this thread, if you don't want to judge the debate, just go and give the conduct point to vardas' opponent, since his opponent is not complaining about legitimate RFD's.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)