Jump to topic:

Oratory

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:42:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You don't know your best friend forever?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:44:50 PM
At 1/31/2011 8:41:52 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:
Do you think a oratory about the negative impact of Disney princesses is stupid? Why or why not?

It's a good idea, but don't be cheesy.
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:46:11 PM
How can anything you say negative about something as banal and insipid as the Disney princess stereotype be cheesy?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:47:13 PM
At 1/31/2011 8:44:50 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
Do you think a oratory about the negative impact of Disney princesses is stupid? Why or why not?

What would you consider cheesy? Because I'm trying to add humor to make for an interesting speech, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Any ideas?
Sky_ace25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:48:12 PM
At 1/31/2011 8:47:13 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:

What would you consider cheesy? Because I'm trying to add humor to make for an interesting speech, but I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Any ideas?

Well what are your arguments/points? I'm just saying don't generically exploit the flaws in romanticizing the life of a princess. Seen that, done that...
Seriously, Pluto is no longer a planet?
idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2011 8:54:05 PM
At 1/31/2011 8:48:12 PM, Sky_ace25 wrote:
At 1/31/2011 8:47:13 PM, idkmybffbill wrote:

Well what are your arguments/points? I'm just saying don't generically exploit the flaws in romanticizing the life of a princess. Seen that, done that...

At this point, my points are:
A: What Disney princesses throughout history have taught us (my strongest point)
- Girls need men to be fulfilled (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, etc.)
- If necessary, girls should change themselves to get a man (The Little Mermaid)
- If your man is abusive, it's your fault (Beauty and the Beast)
- The only way to be successful is to be a man (Mulan)
- Etc.
B: How these messages affect us
- This is where I bring in studies regarding how stereotypes that more attractive people are successful
- Do you know any other statistics/studies that would be good for this?
C: Disney movies don't necessarily have to be tabooed, but the messages that they send should be thought about, so we don't subconsciously give in to these stereotypes

I think C is kinda' stupid, but I don't know what else to say. Any ideas for better/stronger points? Any places where I can add humor?