Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

I have noticed something.

LR4N6FTW4EVA
Posts: 190
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2008 6:41:49 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
Ever since the forums went up, the amount of accepted debates has gone down. People have moved more to battles in the forums. (Ever seen the Religion forum?)

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?
Harlan
Posts: 1,880
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2008 7:15:16 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/11/2008 6:41:49 PM, LR4N6FTW4EVA wrote:
Ever since the forums went up, the amount of accepted debates has gone down. People have moved more to battles in the forums. (Ever seen the Religion forum?)

Thoughts? Opinions? Rants?

Wow! good observation! You are probably the first one to point this out!

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...
KRFournier
Posts: 690
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2008 9:04:23 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I haven't been here long enough to know the difference, but there certainly is a lot of debating in the forums. This isn't bad in and of itself, but I find it rather ironic. I joined this site because of the chaos that ensues when trying to debate in a forum setting.
Zerosmelt
Posts: 287
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2008 9:31:48 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
i think the biggest question is, do these forums negate the purpose of the debates?

Perhaps the debates should be even more formal, idk.
Nate
Posts: 7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2008 10:36:30 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/11/2008 9:04:23 PM, KRFournier wrote:
I haven't been here long enough to know the difference, but there certainly is a lot of debating in the forums. This isn't bad in and of itself, but I find it rather ironic. I joined this site because of the chaos that ensues when trying to debate in a forum setting.

I agree, chaos always ensues when you try to debate in a forum setting. Anyone can make a point to an argument and usually no one gets a word in. Heck, by the time you respond to a point the argument has already shifted to something entirely different than it was.
PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 8:59:44 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
At 10/11/2008 10:36:30 PM, Nate wrote:
I agree, chaos always ensues when you try to debate in a forum setting. Anyone can make a point to an argument and usually no one gets a word in. Heck, by the time you respond to a point the argument has already shifted to something entirely different than it was.

I disagree. In a debate setting, only two debaters can voice their opinions. Sure others can contribute via the comments section, but in all honesty, we must admit their comments hold an extremely low value. In contrast, a forum setting allows many people to have equal voices. That is only fair.

This post is a joke btw. I totally agree with you two.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Dnick94
Posts: 273
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2008 9:08:56 AM
Posted: 8 years ago
I agree that the number of debates has gone down. This website isn't even near popular compared to Myspace and Facebook. There is only 5-20 people online at one time and not enough debates happening.
"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them."
-Albert Einstein
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:08:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agreed.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:10:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 6:08:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I agree
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bossyburrito
Posts: 14,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:18:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 6:10:41 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 5/13/2012 6:08:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I agree
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
thett3
Posts: 14,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:18:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 6:18:30 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 5/13/2012 6:10:41 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 5/13/2012 6:08:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
I agree
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,381
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:20:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 5/13/2012 6:19:24 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Eh... so all of you have been around since the forums went up?

I've been everywhere since everything.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2012 6:53:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm not sure about the trends since the forums started, but I think forum arguments are poor substitutes for debates. People find it easier to make arguments without supporting evidence in the forums, they make outrageous claims often enough without being challenged, and when they are challenged they can run away. All of that can be done on Facebook or on many other web sites. what makes a debate site unique are the rules of debate, where rants have to be backed up.