Jump to topic:

DDO Site Update - 2/3/11

eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 1:29:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Today at 4:00PM CST, we will be rolling an update to DDO. Most of the changes are back-end updates and you will likely not notice anything regarding these updates in the interface.

The one update that you will see is that we have added the ability to add comments when voting on debate. This will provide debaters more insight into why people liked or did not like their arguments.

We are not expecting the update to bring the site down, but there is a small chance that you might have to log in again once the update is made.

If anyone finds any problems with this release, please respond in this thread and I will follow up as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Eric
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 1:41:21 PM
At 2/3/2011 1:29:00 PM, eric.castelli wrote:
Today at 4:00PM CST, we will be rolling an update to DDO. Most of the changes are back-end updates and you will likely not notice anything regarding these updates in the interface.

The one update that you will see is that we have added the ability to add comments when voting on debate. This will provide debaters more insight into why people liked or did not like their arguments.

We are not expecting the update to bring the site down, but there is a small chance that you might have to log in again once the update is made.

If anyone finds any problems with this release, please respond in this thread and I will follow up as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Eric

Is the comment on the votes required for votes to count? Or merely optional?

Anyway, thank you for the updates!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:32:44 PM
If possible, could you make the comments required? Obviously, vote-bombers won't fill out the comment if it's optional. A required 100 characters of justification would make vote-bombers more obvious and easier to remove.

Thank you!
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:39:54 PM
I think comments should be optional or mandatory depending on the debate instigator.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:41:43 PM
At 2/3/2011 3:39:54 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
I think comments should be optional or mandatory depending on the debate instigator.

Good idea, make it some little check box in the beginning of the debate.

That may also prompt more veteren debaters to actually start debates, rather then just take the ones they like (I'm guilty of this too).
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:46:03 PM
Do note that the mandate idea does not represent the opinions of the majority of the site membership.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:47:41 PM
At 2/3/2011 3:46:03 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Do note that the mandate idea does not represent the opinions of the majority of the site membership.

In the discussions about vote-reforming, I've seen little if any opposition.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:50:49 PM
At 2/3/2011 3:47:41 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 2/3/2011 3:46:03 PM, wjmelements wrote:

In the discussions about vote-reforming, I've seen little if any opposition.

Though we never did have a full out vote on it, did we.
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 3:52:59 PM
A little ahead of schedule -- these updates have been released. Please remember to post in this thread if you discover any issues.

Thanks,
Eric
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:00:39 PM
Problem:
http://www.debate.org...
There appears to be:
A) No formatting for enter (I'm using Firefox)
B) An unannounced and character limit.

While it's okay to have a character limit (to limit spam), the user should be aware of it, as he is in the Forum form and the Debate form.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:01:30 PM
At 2/3/2011 4:00:39 PM, wjmelements wrote:
B) An unannounced character limit.
"and" shouldn't have been there.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:06:54 PM
Mandate it. most everyone feels like that. We can already leave comments.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:08:04 PM
or at least make it so that some users can mandate it.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:15:10 PM
Not working on my computer

Using Firefox

Latest Edition

Windows 7
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:16:15 PM
by not working I mean that when I vote and Leave an RFD it does not leave either a vote or my RFD. The text I typed disappears, the vote gets transferred back to tied on all categories.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:17:46 PM
It occurs for this debate

http://www.debate.org...

I will try out other new debates that I have not voted on.

I can update my vote on debates I already voted on
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:19:50 PM
KK never mind just found out that it was a designed behavior and no flaw.

You can't vote on your own debates.

Thanks for implementing this along with the update!

Also please make it mandatory (so that you can't vote without leaving an RFD)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:42:15 PM
At 2/3/2011 4:19:50 PM, askbob wrote:
KK never mind just found out that it was a designed behavior and no flaw.

You can't vote on your own debates.

Thanks for implementing this along with the update!

Also please make it mandatory (so that you can't vote without leaving an RFD)

I was able to vote on my own debate, though it was tie down the line, because I was only testing the RFD thingie.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 4:51:21 PM
Votes that I cast on my own debates in the past, however, still exist. Is there a way to automatically delete all self-cast votes?
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 5:23:54 PM
There appears to be:

We did not put in the ability to support line breaks for this. If others are wanting the same let your voice be heard.

Sorry on the character limit. Right now it is at 500 characters. What would you suggest?

Thanks for the feedback.

Eric
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 5:31:37 PM
At 2/3/2011 5:23:54 PM, eric.castelli wrote:
There appears to be:

We did not put in the ability to support line breaks for this. If others are wanting the same let your voice be heard.

Sorry on the character limit. Right now it is at 500 characters. What would you suggest?

Thanks for the feedback.

Eric

I think 500 is good. If you need more, just say "see comment section."

By the time you hit 500, we'll know that you read through and considered the debate and put thought into your vote.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 8:26:17 PM
At 2/3/2011 5:23:54 PM, eric.castelli wrote:
There appears to be:
I have no objection to a character limit. 500 is good for me. I'd just prefer to have a ticker under the form where I know how many characters I have left, like there is for debates and forums, so that my comments aren't truncated unexpectedly.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2011 8:29:07 PM
Is there any possibility we can make this mandated as I think most people would like?
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:51:43 PM
At 2/3/2011 8:29:07 PM, askbob wrote:
Is there any possibility we can make this mandated as I think most people would like?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 12:56:59 PM
At 2/3/2011 8:29:07 PM, askbob wrote:

Hopefully, though this is definately a good first step.
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:25:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback. In our next release we can make the "Reason for Decision" comment box a requirement when voting. Our goal is to get another release out in the next two weeks but I will update you guys when we have more definition around that.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 1:26:13 PM
At 2/4/2011 1:25:13 PM, JuliaD wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. In our next release we can make the "Reason for Decision" comment box a requirement when voting. Our goal is to get another release out in the next two weeks but I will update you guys when we have more definition around that.

Thanks that's awesome!