tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 8:12:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 7:56:08 PM, SportsFanatic wrote:
I am new so...

Who are the top 10 best debaters on this site?

and

Who are the top 10 worst?

First of all, welcome to DDO!

http://www.debate.org...
This is a pretty good indicator of skill, although the system could do with an overhaul.

Worst?
Dunno, we have lots of drop ins who get owned and never come back, lol.
Almost all of our regulars are pretty good debaters.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 8:48:07 PM
Depends what you mean by top. Top what?

Here is a list of the top 5 percentile:

1. TheLwerd. 310 wins

2. Kleptin. 148 wins

3. Logical-Master. 148 wins

4. TheSkeptic. 131 wins

5. brian_eggleston. 128 wins

Here is a list of the top 5 people who have won the most debates while sustaining a 100% win ratio:

1. Grape. 51 wins

2. J.Kenyon. 29 wins

3. Maikuru. 20 wins

4. Sportsguru. 16 wins

5. Omelet. 16 wins

Here is a list of top 5 with most wins for those between 95-100% win ratio:

1. Puck. 69 wins

2. Grape. 51 wins

3. bluesteel. 46 wins

4. Kinesis. 39 wins

5. burningpuppies101. 34 wins

I think the last list is the best to go with.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 9:16:21 PM
One thing that all three lists fair to account for is the difficulty of opponents. Freeman, for example, frequently debates the top debaters of this site, and almost never accepts debates from n00bs who wouldn't stand a chance, as some debaters like theLwerd frequently do. If there were a list for the top 10 debaters, Freeman would definitely be at the very least a contender.

Of course, they also fail to account for discriminatory vote-bombing, but that's quite another story.

Personally, I think we should have a DDO tournament, soon.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 9:23:43 PM
At 2/4/2011 9:16:21 PM, mongeese wrote:
One thing that all three lists fair to account for is the difficulty of opponents. Freeman, for example, frequently debates the top debaters of this site, and almost never accepts debates from n00bs who wouldn't stand a chance, as some debaters like theLwerd frequently do. If there were a list for the top 10 debaters, Freeman would definitely be at the very least a contender.

Of course, they also fail to account for discriminatory vote-bombing, but that's quite another story.

Personally, I think we should have a DDO tournament, soon.

This.

Muh threads
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 9:48:47 PM
Yeah, personally the way I look at, for the great debaters, is not their win ratio that counts but rather how good they can argue for their side.

Look for the people that take on other people constantly at the top, not people who just look to get wins at any costs, eg using semantics or going after noobs.

If you want to see how to "win" debates, then look at the people with the highest win ratios.

If you want to see who the "best debaters" are, look for the people that present the best arguments for their side and objections against their opponents arguements, this takes a bit of research on your part. Ask others who these people are, I am pretty new.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:24:13 PM
I propose a new term, "n00b-sniping": accepting debates started by n00bs knowing that they'll be no challenge at all, usually for the sake of getting more wins.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:30:07 PM
At 2/4/2011 10:24:13 PM, mongeese wrote:
I propose a new term, "n00b-sniping": accepting debates started by n00bs knowing that they'll be no challenge at all, usually for the sake of getting more wins.

I like it. I admit, I indulge in the occasional n00b-snipe.

Muh threads
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:32:16 PM

I was honestly just looked at your recent debates to search for hypocrisy, but found none. Good job.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
SportsFanatic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:36:30 PM
At 2/4/2011 8:48:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Like who in your opinion is the best debater on this site... like Legitly

I read some debates on this site over the past 3 weeks. Some people just got easy wins from debating nonsense, or the people forfeited. I wanna start on noob level than move up to the big guns.

Just like in boxing gotta start from the bottom, gradually move up on rank by beating the people higher than you, before you play the champ.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 10:53:57 PM
At 2/4/2011 10:36:30 PM, SportsFanatic wrote:
At 2/4/2011 8:48:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Like who in your opinion is the best debater on this site... like Legitly

I read some debates on this site over the past 3 weeks. Some people just got easy wins from debating nonsense, or the people forfeited. I wanna start on noob level than move up to the big guns.

Just like in boxing gotta start from the bottom, gradually move up on rank by beating the people higher than you, before you play the champ.

Make a debate on a resolution that you feel you could easily win, but isn't completely one sided. You don't have to debate something serious straight away, even something fun. Watch the "debate" list and accept any you think you could win.
Don't be like me. I'm almost 50/50 wins/losses, but most of the losses are from forfeits. Don't forfeit.

Muh threads
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:08:19 PM
At 2/4/2011 10:32:16 PM, mongoose wrote:

I was honestly just looked at your recent debates to search for hypocrisy, but found none. Good job.

Well, technically, even if I did n00b-snipe (which I did a fair few times in the past), it wouldn't really be hypocricy until I claimed that I wasn't a n00b-sniper.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:25:29 PM
The first debate I got into was with a guy who somehow managed to win 3 debates on the subject. His position relied on the ignorance and laziness of the person debating him though. Besides me being familiar with the subject, all I really had to do was look up his citations and use them against him. Nearly every quote he used to help his case was taken out of context, or skewed in a way to support his position. Besides that, a lot of BS.

Even though the guy ended being a pretty lousy debater, it got my feet wet. I think I could get used to it.

I'd probably be in more debates, but I honestly don't know what to debate about. There isn't a lot I feel too strongly about. I might be in a debate with PCP sometime in the near future though. Don't know what it'll be about. XP
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:39:07 PM
At 2/4/2011 11:25:29 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
The first debate I got into was with a guy who somehow managed to win 3 debates on the subject. His position relied on the ignorance and laziness of the person debating him though. Besides me being familiar with the subject, all I really had to do was look up his citations and use them against him. Nearly every quote he used to help his case was taken out of context, or skewed in a way to support his position. Besides that, a lot of BS.

Even though the guy ended being a pretty lousy debater, it got my feet wet. I think I could get used to it.

I'd probably be in more debates, but I honestly don't know what to debate about. There isn't a lot I feel too strongly about. I might be in a debate with PCP sometime in the near future though. Don't know what it'll be about. XP

You also had actual proof and some logic on your side, if I remember correctly...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 1:54:43 PM

That should only be for those that have do it a lot. We don't want to discourage people from debating new members in general (since that would cause stagnation in our membership).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 8:48:41 AM
At 2/4/2011 9:16:21 PM, mongeese wrote:

One thing that all three lists fair to account for is the difficulty of opponents. Freeman, for example, frequently debates the top debaters of this site, and almost never accepts debates from n00bs who wouldn't stand a chance

There is this, as an example look at popculturepooka, I would put his level of debate easily against others noted, but it is not reflected in his win record because of who he has debated. There are others such as uniteddandy who debate very rarelybut put up consistently high level arguments.