Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

DDO Dictionary

mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:23:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We have a number of terms that we use, but I think we should compile them somewhere. There are also some terms that I'd like to propose, and some concepts that there should probably be terms for.

Vote-abuser: One who uses the voting system dishonestly
Vote-bomber: One who uses the voting system maliciously, targetting specific debate types or debaters, often with multiple accounts
Semantics: Establishing definitions in the first round as the Contender that do not fit the Instigator's intentions
Voting bloc: A group of debaters who always vote up each other's debates with 7-pointers without proper RFDs

Proposed term - n00b-snipe: To accept debates started by n00bs that are clearly going to be no challenge at all, usually with the intent of increasing one's win count and win ratio.

Concepts in need of a word describing them:
One who wants to debate the same resolution over and over and over again
One who constantly votes seven votes for themself (vote-bomber and vote-abuser don't seem to capture it properly)
One who doesn't debate
One who doesn't start debates, but only accepts debates
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:26:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Currently in the works, give us a week or two.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:28:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 11:23:03 PM, mongeese wrote:
One who doesn't start debates, but only accepts debates

Totally me. Honestly, I have no idea where to even begin writing a debate intro.

I hereby give that label the title of "Dongleberry"

Yes, I am a dongleberry. No, I am not proud.

Maybe one day when I'm not busy being stupid I'll write something up.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:51:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"One who doesn't debate" I use dry swimmer for anyone who is full of opinions about something they never do.

"Semantics": Arguments about the meaning of words, especially to deliberately misconstrue an intended meaning.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2011 11:56:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
vote-bomber: One who votes based upon factors other than the merits of the debate, such as for friends or against perceived enemies.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 12:00:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Dry swimmer... sounds good.

As for your definition of vote bomber, I think it needs to be stronger than vote abuser. Refer to the original post.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 12:00:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 11:23:03 PM, mongeese wrote:
Concepts in need of a word describing them:
One who wants to debate the same resolution over and over and over again
Train set

One who constantly votes seven votes for themself (vote-bomber and vote-abuser don't seem to capture it properly)
Wanker

One who doesn't debate
Boulder

One who doesn't start debates, but only accepts debates
Grabbah
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 12:13:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 11:56:26 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
vote-bomber: One who votes based upon factors other than the merits of the debate, such as for friends or against perceived enemies.

...or preconceived notions.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 12:14:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 12:13:15 AM, gavin.ogden wrote:
At 2/4/2011 11:56:26 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
vote-bomber: One who votes based upon factors other than the merits of the debate, such as for friends or against perceived enemies.

...or preconceived notions.

Again, that's more of a vote-abuser, not a vote-bomber.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 12:26:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Alright, we need terms for:

One who starts lots and lots of debates.
One who almost never forfeits debates.
Cleaner: One who leaves RFDs constantly and leaves reliable votes.
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 4:26:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/4/2011 11:23:03 PM, mongeese wrote:
We have a number of terms that we use, but I think we should compile them somewhere. There are also some terms that I'd like to propose, and some concepts that there should probably be terms for.

Vote-abuser: One who uses the voting system dishonestly
Vote-bomber: One who uses the voting system maliciously, targetting specific debate types or debaters, often with multiple accounts
Semantics: Establishing definitions in the first round as the Contender that do not fit the Instigator's intentions
Voting bloc: A group of debaters who always vote up each other's debates with 7-pointers without proper RFDs

Proposed term - n00b-snipe: To accept debates started by n00bs that are clearly going to be no challenge at all, usually with the intent of increasing one's win count and win ratio.

Concepts in need of a word describing them:
One who wants to debate the same resolution over and over and over again
One who constantly votes seven votes for themself (vote-bomber and vote-abuser don't seem to capture it properly)
One who doesn't debate
One who doesn't start debates, but only accepts debates

Voting bloc: A group of debaters who always vote up each other's debates with 7-pointers without proper RFDs = Sending in the troops or Ill scratch your back if you votebomb mine

One who constantly votes seven votes for themself (vote-bomber and vote-abuser don't seem to capture it properly) = I have never seen a debate I have not won,

Semantics: Establishing definitions in the first round as the Contender that do not fit the Instigator's intentions = Pharisee Debator (letter of the law over spirit of the law)

One who wants to debate the same resolution over and over and over again = One trick pony or One hit wonder

To accept debates started by n00bs that are clearly going to be no challenge at all, usually with the intent of increasing one's win count and win ratio = Win whore or Pick on someone your own size or Playing in the D league
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 8:06:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The definition of "semantics" should not equate to deliberate misinterpretation of the meaning of a resolution. For example, debates involving free will, god, or religion are subject to valid semantic issues. Professional theologians have difficulty defining religion. The definition of murder plays in some abortion debates.

Science does not draw a clear distinction between theory and law. The theory of relativity is as well proved as Newton's laws.

There are many valid semantic issues. The definition should allow that, while also pointing out the use of semantics to deliberately misconstrue.

I think a vote abuser is one who uses ghost accounts or some illegal means to facilitate vote-bombing. But I don't use the term much, so maybe that's not the consensus definition. A vote bomber is always one one votes independent of the merits of the actual debate, even if only on that one debate.
twsurber
Posts: 505
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 9:42:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 12:25:33 AM, FREEDO wrote:
It seem these are all negative terms. Think of some positive ones.

One who starts lots and lots of debates.
Sparkplug or challenger

One who almost never forfeits debates.
Warrior

Cleaner: One who leaves RFDs constantly and leaves reliable votes.
Chieftain

One who wants to debate the same resolution over and over and over again
Debate Green Friendly

One who constantly votes seven votes for themself
Narci-voter (Pronounce it nar-civ-a-tor) LOL

One who doesn't debate
Observer

One who doesn't start debates, but only accepts debates
Opportunist

How's that Freedo? Not to be confused with Frito-Lay :o)
vardas0antras
Posts: 983
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 10:54:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 12:26:47 AM, mongeese wrote:
Alright, we need terms for:

One who starts lots and lots of debates.
One who almost never forfeits debates.
Cleaner: One who leaves RFDs constantly and leaves reliable votes.

Rocky Balboa ;)
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2011 10:58:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Cleaner: One who leaves RFDs constantly and leaves reliable votes.
Chieftain

Chieftan is good, but maybe kahuna. In ancient Hawaii, the kahuna class comprised the people who knew how to get things done, like make canoes, build houses, and so forth. Experts.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2011 4:51:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/5/2011 12:26:47 AM, mongeese wrote:
Alright, we need terms for:

One who starts lots and lots of debates.

a debater :p
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...