Jump to topic:

Advice

Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:30:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Could anyone of you help me find out?
Highschool is speeding along and I want to know what direction I want to go in life...and I'm having trouble finding out what. If you know of any professions I don't that would help.

I love philosophy, politics, debate...but philosophy doesnt have a job behind it and I dont want to be a politician helping out America.

I like science and history...but I suck at math so scientist is out of the question and historian........doesnt pay the bills.

The only thing I think of is author, or documentary creator.
Help plz?
Aibohphobia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:35:39 PM
I'm in the same boat. Love English, History, and Philosophy, but don't know what to do in those fields that'll pay the bills.

Teacher sounds alright, may work for you too Rocky, but I don't really know.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:43:53 PM
At 2/8/2011 8:38:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most things I'm interested in would never pay the bills. You're not alone, lol.

i h8 bills
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:44:40 PM
At 2/8/2011 8:43:53 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
At 2/8/2011 8:38:51 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
Most things I'm interested in would never pay the bills. You're not alone, lol.

i h8 bills

Who doesn't? lol
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:45:02 PM
Invest in next-gen technology, then spend the rest of your time as you wish.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 8:46:50 PM
At 2/8/2011 8:45:02 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
Invest in next-gen technology, then spend the rest of your time as you wish.

investing is a double edged sword
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2011 11:01:11 PM
At 2/8/2011 10:56:20 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Teaching is my best option.

I'm planning on being a professor of either philosophy or political science. I won't get paid much, but I'd rather have a daily life being around things I enjoy while making an impact on other people's opinions, beliefs and/or perspectives. I'm already a counselor/teacher now so <shrugs> it works for me. And I'd highly recommend it for others who have the same passion. ^_^
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 12:04:39 AM
Rocky - Don't stress about it. Try to make a career out of something you're good at. Teaching takes a special kind of person...
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:18:12 AM
Also, Rocky, my best advice is to just stop giving a fvck. Ataraxia, argued Greek philosophers Epicurus and Pyrrho as being the highest form of happiness, is simply absence of worry. And psychologically speaking, I can tell you the key to stop worrying is to stop looking at life like a whole and just live in this day, in this moment.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:22:55 AM
At 2/9/2011 1:18:12 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Also, Rocky, my best advice is to just stop giving a fvck. Ataraxia, argued Greek philosophers Epicurus and Pyrrho as being the highest form of happiness, is simply absence of worry. And psychologically speaking, I can tell you the key to stop worrying is to stop looking at life like a whole and just live in this day, in this moment.

That's horrible advice.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:32:04 AM
At 2/9/2011 1:22:55 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:

That's horrible advice.

I suppose we shall see.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:32:51 AM

That's horrible advice.

lol Yeah...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 8:00:58 AM
There are so many things that you can be that you probably wouldn't realize relate to your talents more so than your interests. I had absolutely no idea i would be doing what i am doing now. I am good at it, and i make a fairly good living at it. My interests seem to help my talents, and my talents seem to help my performance in my job.

It's perfectly fine to have interests that are external to your profession, but it's less fine to have talents that are external to your profession, and they are not one in the same. It is really important that you find the talents you have and find your options from there, and generally you can find your talents from your interests. Does that make sense? I have found that my interests generally surround my ability to communicate, and even persuade. My interests are quite varied, and often a bit eclectic. I am a very good judge of people and can usually morph myself into their confidence. I have learned how to be likable and present myself quite well. I have also learned confidence without pomposity. I am a business to business sales exec. which seems to fit these characteristics to a tee. I never would have opted for this in college, only because i never would have thought i would fit, or it was even a viable option for me.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 9:23:38 AM
At 2/9/2011 8:00:58 AM, innomen wrote:
There are so many things that you can be that you probably wouldn't realize relate to your talents more so than your interests. I had absolutely no idea i would be doing what i am doing now. I am good at it, and i make a fairly good living at it. My interests seem to help my talents, and my talents seem to help my performance in my job.

It's perfectly fine to have interests that are external to your profession, but it's less fine to have talents that are external to your profession, and they are not one in the same. It is really important that you find the talents you have and find your options from there, and generally you can find your talents from your interests. Does that make sense? I have found that my interests generally surround my ability to communicate, and even persuade. My interests are quite varied, and often a bit eclectic. I am a very good judge of people and can usually morph myself into their confidence. I have learned how to be likable and present myself quite well. I have also learned confidence without pomposity. I am a business to business sales exec. which seems to fit these characteristics to a tee. I never would have opted for this in college, only because i never would have thought i would fit, or it was even a viable option for me.

@ Innomen: that was very helpful. Thanks.
@Ann: Thanks for sharing! :)
@ Freedo: I'm divided between giving a fvck and giving no fvck at all and living in the mountains of the fatta the lan'.
@ins: Glad I'm not alone :)
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 10:19:21 AM

That's horrible advice.

it's not really.. if something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.. determinism :P

but that aside, i'm not a worrier.. and i'd say it has something to do with my almost constant happiness (don't mean to brag, sad dudes lol).. and maybe i might get in more trouble than is normal because i'm not a worrier.. but i just deal with it...and get happy again :) live in the moment people.. you could be dead tomorrow!
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:53:15 PM
At 2/9/2011 10:19:21 AM, badger wrote:

That's horrible advice.

it's not really.. if something's gonna happen, it's gonna happen.. determinism :P

but that aside, i'm not a worrier.. and i'd say it has something to do with my almost constant happiness (don't mean to brag, sad dudes lol).. and maybe i might get in more trouble than is normal because i'm not a worrier.. but i just deal with it...and get happy again :) live in the moment people.. you could be dead tomorrow!

Based on prior experience I think it's safe for me to make the assumption that I won't be :p
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:57:28 PM
At 2/9/2011 1:51:38 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
@ badger: Have you mey Freedo?

we share some similar views on life, yes.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 1:58:53 PM
At 2/9/2011 1:53:15 PM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/9/2011 10:19:21 AM, badger wrote:

That's horrible advice.

Based on prior experience I think it's safe for me to make the assumption that I won't be :p

why based on prior experience? ...though i suppose it is a safe assumption anyway, seeing as if you do end up dead tomorrow, it probably won't bother you too much :)
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 2:17:24 PM
At 2/9/2011 1:58:53 PM, badger wrote:

why based on prior experience? ...though i suppose it is a safe assumption anyway, seeing as if you do end up dead tomorrow, it probably won't bother you too much :)

Because I've lived for approximately 8000 days and have woken up "the next day" 99% of the time. Of course, I suck at probability :p
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 2:24:35 PM
At 2/9/2011 2:17:24 PM, nonentity wrote:

Because I've lived for approximately 8000 days and have woken up "the next day" 99% of the time. Of course, I suck at probability :p

how about a lesson so :) ammm, say you flipped a coin 99 times and it landed on heads every time, what'd be the odds of it landing on tails the 100th time? ...the odds don't decrease cos it's landed on heads all those times before it.. though i'm sure you'd that much figured :P
signature
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2011 2:27:09 PM
At 2/9/2011 2:24:35 PM, badger wrote:
At 2/9/2011 2:17:24 PM, nonentity wrote:

how about a lesson so :) ammm, say you flipped a coin 99 times and it landed on heads every time, what'd be the odds of it landing on tails the 100th time? ...the odds don't decrease cos it's landed on heads all those times before it.. though i'm sure you'd that much figured :P

That's true.