Jump to topic:

January/February LD Topic

idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:38:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I have a debate tournament today and am stressing out! So, I was debating with a friend and she came up with two attacks that I have no idea how to respond to.

First, how would you respond to the Affirmative attack on the Negative that it's unfair to punish a seventeen-year-old with more lenient charges in the juvenile justice system while an eighteen-year-old is charged differently in the adult system because how much are you going to develop in the span of one year?

Second, she brought up this point about a use it or lose it policy regarding brain cells. Basically, the point says that a juvenile living a difficult life, for example, in Harlem, will have more brain cells because people lose brain cells if they don't use them. Therefore, a juvenile who is used to those type of things will have a more developed brain.

PLEASE HELP. GRACIAS. (:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:46:44 AM
"Basically, the point says that a juvenile living a difficult life, for example, in Harlem, will have more brain cells because people lose brain cells if they don't use them."

non sequitur. While I have serious doubts on that study, there is no way that a bad upbringing is equivalent to using brain cells. Are you telling me a valedictorian student uses less brain cells then one in harlem?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
idkmybffbill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:51:17 AM
At 2/11/2011 11:46:44 AM, darkkermit wrote:
"Basically, the point says that a juvenile living a difficult life, for example, in Harlem, will have more brain cells because people lose brain cells if they don't use them."

non sequitur. While I have serious doubts on that study, there is no way that a bad upbringing is equivalent to using brain cells. Are you telling me a valedictorian student uses less brain cells then one in harlem?

But your life experiences are what mature you at a younger age.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:54:05 AM
At 2/11/2011 11:51:17 AM, idkmybffbill wrote:
At 2/11/2011 11:46:44 AM, darkkermit wrote:

But your life experiences are what mature you at a younger age.

depends on the life experences and what you learn from those experiences.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:02:46 PM
Oh and on the span of one year, quite a bit.

Although, a better argument would be if the day before your 18th birthday if you commit a crime, you can be tried as a juvenile. Yet, a day later, if you committed the same crime a day later, you would be tried as an adult. That changes the span from one year, to one day.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...