"Thegodhand likes to misquote people"- Benjamin Franklin
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 4:11:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/19/2011 4:05:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
I think the main site, Juggle.com probably gets revenue.
Then why acquire a loss making website?
'sup DDO -- july 2013
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 4:14:15 PM
At 2/19/2011 4:11:07 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Cuz they're badasses and they can
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 4:22:11 PM
They might have done away with all advertising initially in an effort to gain acceptance from the community, and be planning on slowly introducing advertising later.

Grr greedy capitalists!
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 4:35:38 PM
At 2/19/2011 4:22:11 PM, Sieben wrote:
They might have done away with all advertising initially in an effort to gain acceptance from the community, and be planning on slowly introducing advertising later.

Grr greedy capitalists!

LOL...but, really, they paid a lot of money for this site and it is generating no income for them...it is a bit worrying....
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:10:14 PM
My guess is that debate.org is going to be integrated into the juggle site somehow.
Juggle has a debating section to its site, but it's not very well done.

Juggle is a reference and encyclopedia website, so it could benefit greatly by putting some of the debates on DDO onto their website.
Open borders debate:
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:16:01 PM
At 2/19/2011 5:10:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:
My guess is that debate.org is going to be integrated into the juggle site somehow.

Juggle is a reference and encyclopedia website, so it could benefit greatly by putting some of the debates on DDO onto their website.
I suspected that too. We forfeit the intellectual property rights of what we write on DDO.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:31:41 PM
At 2/19/2011 5:16:01 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 2/19/2011 5:10:14 PM, darkkermit wrote:

I suspected that too. We forfeit the intellectual property rights of what we write on DDO.

Yep it's in the terms of service "All material you post on Debate.org, including debate arguments, comments, forums, profiles, pictures, and messages becomes the property of Debate.org, and you waive all claims of ownership for said property."

I actually think Juggle added that section to the terms of service. I didn't remember seeing that before.
Open borders debate:
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/19/2011 5:34:13 PM
It's a long term investment in of itself. By creating a decent enough of a community, Juggle can up this site's numbers and activity. After that it's easy enough implement ads. The trick is building the user-base.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 12:03:23 AM
At 2/19/2011 7:22:00 PM, juvanya wrote:
I always wondered this. And also how Google makes money.

google ads, they also do one or two other things I think.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:03:38 AM
At 2/19/2011 4:11:07 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Yes.
"Modern atheism is Richard Dawkins."- thegodhand

thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/20/2011 8:04:52 AM
At 2/19/2011 7:22:00 PM, juvanya wrote:
I always wondered this. And also how Google makes money.

"Sponsored results" on search results.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 9:27:35 AM
At 2/19/2011 5:34:13 PM, askbob wrote:
It's a long term investment in of itself. By creating a decent enough of a community, Juggle can up this site's numbers and activity. After that it's easy enough implement ads. The trick is building the user-base.

If that were true, then why pay so much money for this site to begin with? They paid over $160,000. I doubt it cost that much money to create a site like DDO. They could have just created a site similar or superior to DDO instead of buying it and found users who have not yet to discover DDO.
Open borders debate:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2011 2:19:57 PM
At 2/19/2011 5:34:13 PM, askbob wrote:

bingo.

They want to get enough core users, then they can bring in some small ads that won't case people away (the user base will tolerate a minimal amount of ads, and that user base will keep new members coming in).

Personally, I wouldn't mind too many ads, so long as they are the kind that keeps flashing "1 millionth visitor!!! click here!!!" and stupid stuff like that.

I think ads going to other political sites would be cool. Like if the actual political parties paid to have a link to them on here, or from news organizations and such.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
doodledandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 1:32:44 PM
Hello,
Thank you all for your continued participation in the debate.org community. I wanted to comment on two strategy related issues being discussed in this thread.

The Questions:
1) Why did we purchase debate.org?
2) What is our plan to drive revenue via debate.org?

The Answer: (to both questions)
We purchased this site/community with a goal of expanding the debate functionality on Juggle. We launched the Juggle debates vertical to fill a void for intelligent, opinion based content on Juggle.com.

At the heart of the answer to both questions, lies one key strategic principle; intelligent, well researched content has value far beyond its potential advertising revenue. In addition to estimating revenue from ads, we quantify value using intangibles such as benefit to reputation, user loyalty, credibility, and relevance. While we have a number of sites that generate revenue for Juggle, we also have a number of sites that are published with a singular goal of creating great content about important topics and issues for the reasons stated above. I can tell you that we have no immediate plans to place ads on debate.org and classify this acquisition as a strong success. We have seen traffic and new member growth since the transition and are excited about some of the new features we plan to launch in order to keep this trend moving up and to the right. This community is full of thoughtful users who have been a great help to us since we added Debate.org to our family of websites. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am always happy to provide answers.
Stephanie Leffler
CEO
Juggle.com
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:21:00 PM
At 2/22/2011 1:32:44 PM, cwrote:
Hello,
Thank you all for your continued participation in the debate.org community. I wanted to comment on two strategy related issues being discussed in this thread.

The Questions:

We purchased this site/community with a goal of expanding the debate functionality on Juggle. We launched the Juggle debates vertical to fill a void for intelligent, opinion based content on Juggle.com.

At the heart of the answer to both questions, lies one key strategic principle; intelligent, well researched content has value far beyond its potential advertising revenue. In addition to estimating revenue from ads, we quantify value using intangibles such as benefit to reputation, user loyalty, credibility, and relevance. While we have a number of sites that generate revenue for Juggle, we also have a number of sites that are published with a singular goal of creating great content about important topics and issues for the reasons stated above. I can tell you that we have no immediate plans to place ads on debate.org and classify this acquisition as a strong success. We have seen traffic and new member growth since the transition and are excited about some of the new features we plan to launch in order to keep this trend moving up and to the right. This community is full of thoughtful users who have been a great help to us since we added Debate.org to our family of websites. Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am always happy to provide answers.

Boo-yea I was right. Suck it b!tch (not to cwrote, she's cool)
Open borders debate:
thegodhand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:41:11 PM
At 2/22/2011 1:32:44 PM, doodledandy wrote:
Hello,

The Questions:

In English please.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 3:06:15 PM
Buying DDO for the amount Juggle bought it for is a bad investment. I doubt they'll ever break even.

Phil made out like a bandit.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 8:53:00 AM
At 2/22/2011 1:32:44 PM, doodledandy wrote:
Please let me know if you have any more questions. I am always happy to provide answers.

Want to join in a mafia game?
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 10:10:20 AM
At 3/1/2011 3:06:15 PM, Nags wrote:
Buying DDO for the amount Juggle bought it for is a bad investment. I doubt they'll ever break even.

Yes. I'm sure they spent over a hundred thousand dollars on a bad investment. Cus that's what successful corporations do - they give money to stupid people to waste on bad investments.

Luckily, even though you have not invested any money yourself, you have apparently put more thought and time into the acquisition decision than Juggle's team has. They should hire you so you can invest in... what?

/sarcasm

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 4:36:27 PM
At 3/2/2011 10:10:20 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 3/1/2011 3:06:15 PM, Nags wrote:

Yes. I'm sure they spent over a hundred thousand dollars on a bad investment. Cus that's what successful corporations do - they give money to stupid people to waste on bad investments.

Luckily, even though you have not invested any money yourself, you have apparently put more thought and time into the acquisition decision than Juggle's team has. They should hire you so you can invest in... what?

/sarcasm

Cool appeal to authority bro.

Phil was making less than $5 a day off this site with ads. Juggle is losing money right now and it will be tough for them to innovate. Changing a website's header and adding a few new forums isn't going to recoup 100k.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 5:24:04 PM
At 3/2/2011 4:36:27 PM, Nags wrote:

Cool appeal to authority bro.

I'm not makin a logical argument. I'm makin an inductive argument. Nice try though. I like how all the pseudo-intellectuals think they can just whip out a latin fallacy and declare victory.

Phil was making less than $5 a day off this site with ads.
That's probably why he sold it. But why didn't he sell it for 10 grand? Why over 100 grand? Was juggle just feeling especially charitable?

Juggle is losing money right now
http://en.wikipedia.org...

and it will be tough for them to innovate.
Why?

Changing a website's header and adding a few new forums isn't going to recoup 100k.

I hope you'll agree they can do a lot more. What if they put in a tournament system?

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 5:43:49 PM
At 3/2/2011 5:24:04 PM, Sieben wrote:
I'm not makin a logical argument. I'm makin an inductive argument. Nice try though. I like how all the pseudo-intellectuals think they can just whip out a latin fallacy and declare victory.

*facepalm*
An inductive argument is a type of logical argument.

Nice try you big intellectual, you.

Phil was making less than $5 a day off this site with ads.
That's probably why he sold it. But why didn't he sell it for 10 grand? Why over 100 grand? Was juggle just feeling especially charitable?

No, they made a bad decision.

Juggle is losing money right now
http://en.wikipedia.org...

The payback period for buying DDO is currently over 54 years, and that was assuming Juggle still gets $5 in profit a day from DDO (which they aren't).

Why?

Because there's not much to do this site, is there?

Changing a website's header and adding a few new forums isn't going to recoup 100k.

I hope you'll agree they can do a lot more. What if they put in a tournament system?

Lol, that's sure to attract new members by the thousands.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 6:44:19 PM
At 3/2/2011 5:43:49 PM, Nags wrote:

*facepalm*
An inductive argument is a type of logical argument.

Nice try you big intellectual, you.

Sorry. Let me try again. I'm using inductive logic, not a priori or deductive logic. I'm saying its UNLIKELY that a corporation would waste $165,000, not that its apodictdictally certain.

How could you have misconstrued my meaning so badly? Oh because you just want to be right. You don't care about content.

Implausible.

The payback period for buying DDO is currently over 54 years, and that was assuming Juggle still gets $5 in profit a day from DDO (which they aren't).

I think they're expecting some other form of revenue.

Why?

People make suggestions on the ddo forums every day.

Not an argument.

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:00:17 PM
At 3/2/2011 6:44:19 PM, Sieben wrote:
Sorry. Let me try again. I'm using inductive logic, not a priori or deductive logic. I'm saying its UNLIKELY that a corporation would waste $165,000, not that its apodictdictally certain.

Lmao. When did I ever say anything to the contrary? You attempted to look like some sort of an intellectual, but your attempt made you look like a smart-a s s. Backtracking into a rebuttal that rebuts nothing doesn't help you out.

How could you have misconstrued my meaning so badly? Oh because you just want to be right. You don't care about content.

Sorry I read your words rather than reading your mind. I'll try harder next time.

Implausible.

Why? The statistics say otherwise.

I think they're expecting some other form of revenue.

Like? Enlighten me.

Why?

People make suggestions on the ddo forums every day.

Small tweaks like the ones DDO members are suggesting don't increase revenue.

Not an argument.

Your original statement was a suggestion of a tournament system. I'm saying that a tournament system will do little to nothing for new membership and do nothing for new revenue. You started off with a non-argument, I rebutted it, and you replied with "not an argument".
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 7:08:33 PM
At 3/2/2011 7:00:17 PM, Nags wrote:

Lmao. When did I ever say anything to the contrary? You attempted to look like some sort of an intellectual, but your attempt made you look like a smart-a s s. Backtracking into a rebuttal that rebuts nothing doesn't help you out.

You dismissed my logic saying I was making an appeal to authority... but an appeal to authority is only a deductive fallacy. It does not imply to induction which is what I was using.

And btw? Its not even an appeal to authority. I'm not saying its right because an authority figure said it, I'm saying its likely to be a good investment because we know inductively that juggle has made good investment decisions in the past.

Implausible.

Why? The statistics say otherwise.

Wait... the relevant statistics are about the future of DDO, which you don't know. You also haven't answered why its likely that juggle is a corporation that just blows $165,000. Good job.

Like? Enlighten me.

Advertisements. More volume. Brand name recognition on their other services. You should really read what the juggle rep said.

Small tweaks like the ones DDO members are suggesting don't increase revenue.

So a tournament system that could make DDO this massive hub for hosting debate tournaments, complete with a full ranking system, etc, would not attract thousands of people?

Your original statement was a suggestion of a tournament system. I'm saying that a tournament system will do little to nothing for new membership and do nothing for new revenue. You started off with a non-argument, I rebutted it, and you replied with "not an argument".

Actually you didn't rebut it at all. You just kind of indicated that you didn't think it was a good idea. No reasoning.

But that's okay, because my argument doesn't solely rest upon successful implementation of a tournament system. There are a lot of other potential routes DDO could take. Will they work? Don't know. But juggle thinks so. Why are you so sure juggle is wrong when you don't have 1/100th the information or experience they do? They've put money on the line. All you've got is an ego.