Jump to topic:

Solve WI budget crisis

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 12:31:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd like a response to this video. To break it down simply, it is a teacher speaking (quite unofficially) for WI teachers, explaining that he has a simple answer to the budget deficit: a one-time, $32 tax. WI population times X = budget deficit, X being equal to 32.

Now this is a leftist idea to be sure, but the simplicity of it is hard to deny: we are about to claw our way through 6 years of hatred. Our teachers are leaving the classrooms to protest. People are angry and upset. I was at the supermarket the other day and the cashier looked rattled, so I asked her what was up. She said I'd just missed two guys almost get into a fight and insinuated it was over the unions issue. I can speculate that one person probably made a wisecrack and didn't realize there was someone nearby of opposite ideology, and that was it.

Things will settle down eventually but if this budget crisis is serious then why are we creating such a complex and damaging solution to the problem? We are about to put ourselves through a grueling set of cuts that is going to hurt the lower classes, when a seemingly minor tax (the vast majority of even the poorest of us wouldn't really feel it at tax-return time) would completely absolve us of the entire platform of the Tea Party.

The deficit is this big scare to make it look like America is broke. It's an age-old trick. Any of you out there who have had money know what I'm talking about. If you have money, everyone (and I mean everyone) you know is going to suck it out of you like a leach. (Kleptin left some posts in the 'beggers' thread to this effect). If you go out, guess who's sporting? If you do this, that, the other thing, no one is ever going to pitch in because it is understood that you have the money and they don't, and come on, they have kids to feed and all that. Rich people don't cut ties from the poor just because we are dirty...

The same scheme works for countries. Who is going to be expected to do all the giving? Us! So we've created this deficit so that we are broke as well. I think we figured out long ago that we can either:

1.) Be rich. Liberal policies start emerging because now we can afford healthcare, now we can afford charities of every God-Damned kind. We can pay our poor for everything they have, and then we can pay every other poorer country for everything they are 'in need' of.

2.) Be broke. Can't afford healthcare. Can't afford liberal policies. Can't afford hippies, druggies, and Mexicans. Can't afford pensions, unions, social security. Can't afford foreign aid. Can't afford our own gov't employees and can't afford to fund the agencies to do the things they are supposed to do (they can still create all the rules without funds to develop anything of worth to us). Can't afford to subsidize secondary education, NPR, PBS, ... ad nauseum. Interestingly enough, in the WI cuts police stations were exempted. And of course our military is still burning cash like crazy... The DEA is only ramping up for our great Mexican threat (terrorism and drugs are like peanut butter and jelly). So in all the areas where control is achieved, we don't seem to be broke.

This will be my last post as a person in my twenties.

http://media.causes.com...

You have to click on the lttle video thumbnail where it says "watch again."
kfc
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:15:16 AM
The $137 million deficit is only for this year.

Wisconsin really has a $3.6 billion deficit. ($829 per adult)

Eliminating the $137 million deficit for this fiscal year does nothing for Wisconsin's financial situation.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:56:09 PM
At 3/6/2011 1:15:16 AM, Nags wrote:

Eliminating the $137 million deficit for this fiscal year does nothing for Wisconsin's financial situation.

My apologies, I should have made it clear that the WI situation is about balancing the budget, not paying off the entire thing.

All the cuts to our programs and all the bitter disputes, justified by balancing the budget, can be offset by $32 per person. No need for all the disputes and ultra-partisan powergrabs (although those are always going to be self-justified by those who grab the power). From there, only very minor cuts are necessary to make sure that next year we pay <$32.
kfc
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 3:40:12 PM
Deficit.
Debt.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 4:03:27 PM
At 3/6/2011 2:56:09 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
My apologies, I should have made it clear that the WI situation is about balancing the budget, not paying off the entire thing.

All the cuts to our programs and all the bitter disputes, justified by balancing the budget, can be offset by $32 per person. No need for all the disputes and ultra-partisan powergrabs (although those are always going to be self-justified by those who grab the power). From there, only very minor cuts are necessary to make sure that next year we pay <$32.

That would only work for one year though, since it would only solve this fiscal year's deficit.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 4:04:45 PM
At 3/6/2011 3:40:12 PM, juvanya wrote:
Deficit.
Debt.

They're both deficits. The $3.6 billion number is the projected deficit for the 2011-2013 biennium.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 6:35:09 PM
At 3/6/2011 12:31:29 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

The deficit is this big scare to make it look like America is broke. It's an age-old trick.

The debt is over 128k per taxpayer...America is broke, it's no illusion.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
timbeech
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 8:08:23 PM
At 3/6/2011 6:35:09 PM, lewis20 wrote:

The deficit is this big scare to make it look like America is broke. It's an age-old trick.

It's not that simple to say America is broke but at the same time it is becoming a serious concern.

Wikipedia is awesome. Reading this article is such an important first step in understanding what is happening in Wisconsin and in literally every state.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 11:40:57 AM

The richest nation in the world is broke. Ain't that something. I guess those troops overseas are getting paid by the Iraqis and Afghanis.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:17:05 PM
At 3/7/2011 11:40:57 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

The richest nation in the world is broke. Ain't that something. I guess those troops overseas are getting paid by the Iraqis and Afghanis.

They are getting paid by barrowed money. "Barrowed" implies that it is going to be paid back. Kind of like if you get a $300,000 mortgage ot buy a house you have to pay that money back.

I'd also like to point out, that the "$2.7 billion deficit" is based on GAAP, while the government uses GASB. They are both different types of accounting, however, the only way to get an idea of how things are done is by picking one method and using it consistantly. Both accrual accounting and cash accounting can be accurate when applied over time (their only real inaccuracies are at the beginnings and ends of periods, not in the middle of them).

For example, in accrual accounting, debt is marked when it is agreed to be paid, in cash accounting, it is marked when it is actually paid. So if I say I will pay you $500,000 in 2 months, accrual accounting marks it now (when we make our agreement) cash accounting marks it when it is actually paid (in two months), but under both accounting styles, it is still marked and accounted for.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:26:57 PM
The national debt and global warming are the same.

We know they are both bad, but we do not know the tipping point yet.

borrow and fart.... repeat....repeat....
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 12:39:38 PM
Rob, on the one hand you're saying be broke be happy. The debt isn't a real thing, it's all manufactured. On the other hand, well your other hand is out looking for $32 per person in WI. Which is it? It sounds like you don't really need the $32, and while you're at it, why don't you give those loafing teachers a raise? God knows they deserve it for all their hard work trying to save their substandard jobs.

The problem isn't so much the debt, it's the process, and the system that provides this debt. The process is broken, and unions are part of that process - and they need to be broken.

We are broke Rob, and we can't even pay the interest on the debt we owe. You seem to imply that there are all these conservatives that are saying that we should cut education and NPR, but spend more on military, and that's just bull.

I will vote for which ever candidate has the guts to cut the most.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:03:34 PM
Rand Paul is talking about cutting 500 Billion, 1/3 of one years deficit, and all of the leaders in Washington think thats way too much.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:15:59 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:03:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Rand Paul is talking about cutting 500 Billion, 1/3 of one years deficit, and all of the leaders in Washington think thats way too much.

Oh well, if all of Washington thinks it's way too much....

Why in the hell would anyone listen to all of Washington, or any of Washington?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:21:50 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:15:59 PM, innomen wrote:

Hell, Washington should get rid of virtually all is bureaucracy with the exception of a small military.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:28:56 PM

unfortunately most people do

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 1:33:18 PM
At 3/7/2011 1:28:56 PM, lewis20 wrote:

unfortunately most people do

Washington listens to Washington, then they put on disguises and go out to "their constituents" and then enough people listen to them to get us into this crap.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 4:27:53 PM
At 3/7/2011 12:39:38 PM, innomen wrote:
Rob, on the one hand you're saying be broke be happy. The debt isn't a real thing, it's all manufactured. On the other hand, well your other hand is out looking for $32 per person in WI. Which is it? It sounds like you don't really need the $32, and while you're at it, why don't you give those loafing teachers a raise? God knows they deserve it for all their hard work trying to save their substandard jobs.

Yeah arguing liberal viewpoints has its drawbacks... Kind of why i don't bother doing it much anymore.

The problem isn't so much the debt, it's the process, and the system that provides this debt. The process is broken, and unions are part of that process - and they need to be broken.

You get what you paid for. Kind of funny that those who are so quick to criticize the quality of public sector workers are the ones calling for them to be paid less.

We are broke Rob, and we can't even pay the interest on the debt we owe. You seem to imply that there are all these conservatives that are saying that we should cut education and NPR, but spend more on military, and that's just bull.

I'm sorry... what part? Conservatives support the war, and they also support cutting NPR and slashing education.

I can dig that, but what services would you like to go without?

My list would be something like:
IRS
ATF
DEA
HomeLand Security
Tax breaks and subsidies to wealthy

Of course I would cut a whole lot more than that if capitalism could be overthrown.
kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:12:16 PM
At 3/7/2011 4:27:53 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Yeah arguing liberal viewpoints has its drawbacks... Kind of why i don't bother doing it much anymore.

You get what you paid for. Kind of funny that those who are so quick to criticize the quality of public sector workers are the ones calling for them to be paid less.

I'm sorry... what part? Conservatives support the war, and they also support cutting NPR and slashing education.

IRS
ATF
DEA
HomeLand Security

Plus
Department of education
Department of energy

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:14:22 PM
At 3/7/2011 5:12:16 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2011 4:27:53 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

IRS
ATF
DEA
HomeLand Security

Plus
Department of education
Department of energy
Congress
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:16:41 PM
and the Federal Reserve, can't forget that one.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 5:19:07 PM
wow, these people that list themselves as "libertarians" sure seem more like anarchists.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 6:12:04 PM
At 3/7/2011 5:19:07 PM, OreEle wrote:
wow, these people that list themselves as "libertarians" sure seem more like anarchists.
I don't think the a DDO libertarian government would do anything but exist and arrest pedophiles.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2011 7:24:08 PM
At 3/7/2011 5:19:07 PM, OreEle wrote:

The libertarian candidate for WI this past election was promoting dissolving all federal agencies and Constitutional amendments. That's pretty standard for the libertarian party, actually. This idea we have that libertarians are simply fiscal rightists/social leftists is really not accurate at all. Libertarians are a class unto themselves, not a mix.
kfc