Jump to topic:

Zimbabwe... SERIOUSLY?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:48:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe began in the early 2000s, shortly after Zimbabwe's confiscation of white-owned farmland and its repudiation of debts to the International Monetary Fund, and persisted through to 2009. Figures from November 2008 estimated Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate at 89.7 sextillion (1021) percent.[1] By December 2008, annual inflation was estimated at 6.5 quindecillion novemdecillion percent (6.5 x 10108%).[2][3] In April 2009, Zimbabwe abandoned printing of the Zimbabwean dollar, and the South African rand and US dollar became the standard currencies for exchange. As of 2011 the currency has not been reintroduced yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Seriously Zimbabwe...wtf?

How does inflation like that happen?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 1:55:07 AM
At 3/9/2011 1:50:46 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
You don't make stuff (GDP)
And you cant get credit (Debt)

so you print it.

If it were literal money they could stack a pyramid to the moon with it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:03:55 AM
Mass money printing starts the inflation. There are more dollars chasing the same amount of goods, so each dollar is worth less (in terms of goods)--that is, everything costs more in terms of dollars. When it becomes apparent that the government is throwing the currency down the toilet, everyone tries to get rid of their currency at once (a huge increase in what's called the 'velocity' of money. People don't want currency, so they're willing to accept much fewer goods for each unit of it (people are willing to pay much higher prices for goods). This rush to get rid of currency exponentially increases inflation, starting the quick decline of the currency's value down to zero--hyperinflation. The government then generally responds to this hyperinflation with more money printing, which obviously just makes the problem worse.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:07:51 AM
At 3/9/2011 2:03:55 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Mass money printing starts the inflation. There are more dollars chasing the same amount of goods, so each dollar is worth less (in terms of goods)--that is, everything costs more in terms of dollars. When it becomes apparent that the government is throwing the currency down the toilet, everyone tries to get rid of their currency at once (a huge increase in what's called the 'velocity' of money. People don't want currency, so they're willing to accept much fewer goods for each unit of it (people are willing to pay much higher prices for goods). This rush to get rid of currency exponentially increases inflation, starting the quick decline of the currency's value down to zero--hyperinflation. The government then generally responds to this hyperinflation with more money printing, which obviously just makes the problem worse.

In your opinion, was ending the currency the solution?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:08:56 AM
At 3/9/2011 2:07:51 AM, FREEDO wrote:

worked for the Russians when the Ruble was fuccked
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 2:11:30 AM
At 3/9/2011 2:07:51 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Well, they didn't really have a 'solution' to the problem, they just kept inflating until the currency was worthless. Ending government control over currency would be a solution to inflation problems in general, though.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/9/2011 11:34:36 AM
What's even more pathetic is that I remember that it was only 1 billion% in 2008...
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 2:15:23 AM
At 3/9/2011 1:48:53 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Hyperinflation in Zimbabwe began in the early 2000s, shortly after Zimbabwe's confiscation of white-owned farmland and its repudiation of debts to the International Monetary Fund, and persisted through to 2009. Figures from November 2008 estimated Zimbabwe's annual inflation rate at 89.7 sextillion (1021) percent.[1] By December 2008, annual inflation was estimated at 6.5 quindecillion novemdecillion percent (6.5 x 10108%).[2][3] In April 2009, Zimbabwe abandoned printing of the Zimbabwean dollar, and the South African rand and US dollar became the standard currencies for exchange. As of 2011 the currency has not been reintroduced yet.

quindecillion novemdecillion... didn't he lead the Roman Legions against the Welsh?

I've never heard those words before...

ALL HAIL RHODESIA!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:45:20 AM

How does inflation like that happen?:

You just keep printing money without realizing how much is going in to circulation. If there are too many bills on the streets, it devalues the value of that currency because there is so much of it.

You see this all the time in Latin American countries where a stick of gum costs 462 pesos.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 8:42:27 AM

It's important to note that it isn't just the money supply that influences prices. There is also money demand, which is what really sets off the hyper inflation. Once people begin expecting the inflation rates they've been experiencing to persist, demand for money drops like a stone and its purchasing power follows.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 6:54:06 PM
Part of it is because there is no money demand for the Z$. The dollar was abandoned by the government back in 2009 and they now (the entire nation) uses foreign currency. Since everyone uses the foreign currency, no one wants the Z$, so it keeps falling. They aren't printing any more of it (so it is no longer the supply side, although that is what started it), it is now the demand issue.

The government said that they will try to bring it back if the nations industries start picking up (so that the country has stuff to back the dollar against).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"