Total Posts:69|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Difference between Socialism and Capitalism

Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:30:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Can someone explain to me what both are. I have read many articles online and the wording is really hard for me to understand. It is impossible to find videos explaining both because all the videos tend to be strongly biased towards one side to make a valid comparison.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:44:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:30:19 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Can someone explain to me what both are. I have read many articles online and the wording is really hard for me to understand. It is impossible to find videos explaining both because all the videos tend to be strongly biased towards one side to make a valid comparison.

In capitalism, man exploits man. In socialism, it's the other way round....
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:48:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:46:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
ok in capitalism the goal is to gain a profit right?
What is the goal in Socialism?

Capitalism distributes wealth by the ability to produce a value to sociey.

Socialism distributes wealth by the ability to breathe air and cast votes.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:48:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:44:02 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:30:19 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Can someone explain to me what both are. I have read many articles online and the wording is really hard for me to understand. It is impossible to find videos explaining both because all the videos tend to be strongly biased towards one side to make a valid comparison.

In capitalism, man exploits man. In socialism, it's the other way round....

Lol, I like that.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:50:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.

So does Socialism have world trade in their plan, or does it produce as much as the domestic demanded?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:00:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:50:41 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.

So does Socialism have world trade in their plan, or does it produce as much as the domestic demanded?

Communism is a sociopolitical movement that aims for a classless and stateless society structured upon common ownership of the means of production, free access to articles of consumption, and the end of wage labour and private property in the means of production and real estate.

Why is google and wikipedia so hard?
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:04:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:46:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
ok in capitalism the goal is to gain a profit right?
What is the goal in Socialism?

to create an elitist class made up of party members, misallocate supply by misinterpreting demand and force people to sing kum-bah-yah while they're waiting in line all day to by crappy government goods.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:05:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:44:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
socialism - the government owns property
capitalism - individuals own property

You should understand the difference between communism and socialism.

Communism- Government owns property.
Socialism- Government redistributes wealth (usually through taxes).
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:06:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:48:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:46:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
ok in capitalism the goal is to gain a profit right?
What is the goal in Socialism?

Capitalism distributes wealth by the ability to produce a value to sociey.

Socialism distributes wealth by the ability to breathe air and cast votes.

This is actually not a sarcastic post, I really do believe this.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:09:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 3:05:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:44:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
socialism - the government owns property
capitalism - individuals own property

You should understand the difference between communism and socialism.

Communism- Government owns property.
Socialism- Government redistributes wealth (usually through taxes).

If the government redistributes wealth, then it does not recognize individuals at the rightful owners of the property, thus the government owns it.

Furthermore, socialism provides healthcare, education, and other goods and services, which would not be possible if the government didn't own property.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:21:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:50:41 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.

So does Socialism have world trade in their plan, or does it produce as much as the domestic demanded?

Completely depends. It generally has nothing to do with that but some Capitalists or Socialists might assert that it does.

I don't pretend to have a monopoly on words like others here.

I consider myself neither Capitalist nor Socialist, by the way. They argue over what kind of property to have while I wish to see property itself abolished.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:26:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 3:21:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:50:41 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.

So does Socialism have world trade in their plan, or does it produce as much as the domestic demanded?

Completely depends. It generally has nothing to do with that but some Capitalists or Socialists might assert that it does.

I don't pretend to have a monopoly on words like others here.

I consider myself neither Capitalist nor Socialist, by the way. They argue over what kind of property to have while I wish to see property itself abolished.


Surely you recognize the tragedy of the commons and that usage of goods and services must exclude others from its usage as well (assuming its a exclusive good)
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,337
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:30:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 3:26:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:


Surely you recognize the tragedy of the commons and that usage of goods and services must exclude others from its usage as well (assuming its a exclusive good)

Even Socialist healthcare plans ration.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:39:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 3:26:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/11/2011 3:21:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:50:41 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:47:51 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It depends on your definition of each.

Socialism is public ownership of the means of production but "public" can mean state or it can simply mean a crowd of people, most usually the workers but sometimes the consumers or both.

Capitalism is private ownership of the means of production but that is open to interpretation as well. For instance, there is such thing as State Capitalism.

So does Socialism have world trade in their plan, or does it produce as much as the domestic demanded?

Completely depends. It generally has nothing to do with that but some Capitalists or Socialists might assert that it does.

I don't pretend to have a monopoly on words like others here.

I consider myself neither Capitalist nor Socialist, by the way. They argue over what kind of property to have while I wish to see property itself abolished.


Surely you recognize the tragedy of the commons and that usage of goods and services must exclude others from its usage as well (assuming its a exclusive good)

Yes and that excuse is getting old. Especially since they act like Capitalism(or Socialism) solves the problem.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 8:08:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 3:09:55 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/11/2011 3:05:15 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:44:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
socialism - the government owns property
capitalism - individuals own property

You should understand the difference between communism and socialism.

Communism- Government owns property.
Socialism- Government redistributes wealth (usually through taxes).

If the government redistributes wealth, then it does not recognize individuals at the rightful owners of the property, thus the government owns it.

Furthermore, socialism provides healthcare, education, and other goods and services, which would not be possible if the government didn't own property.

The government doesn't own the property you're speaking of, otherwise taxation wouldn't even be considered stealing.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 8:16:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Pure Capitalism is basically a system where people just trade stuff with each other without any interference. For instance, if I want to sell some of my own feces or a car, then you can just come and pay me or trade some other stuff for it (your breast pump).

On the other hand, pure Socialism doesn't allow you to sell or buy anything directly, but instead all of your possessions belong to the government. The government then proceeds to distribute these possessions to people based on what is deemed best.

However, most examples of modern Socialism and Capitalism don't go nearly as far as their purest forms, but instead a sort of mixture is most common. For example, healthcare is often socialized any many countries, while video games are privatized...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 8:31:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 8:16:24 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Pure Capitalism is basically a system where people just trade stuff with each other without any interference. For instance, if I want to sell some of my own feces or a car, then you can just come and pay me or trade some other stuff for it (your breast pump).

That is untrue. The term for that is free-market.
Capitalism=\=free-market.

On the other hand, pure Socialism doesn't allow you to sell or buy anything directly, but instead all of your possessions belong to the government. The government then proceeds to distribute these possessions to people based on what is deemed best.

However, most examples of modern Socialism and Capitalism don't go nearly as far as their purest forms, but instead a sort of mixture is most common. For example, healthcare is often socialized any many countries, while video games are privatized...
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheAtheistAllegiance
Posts: 1,251
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 8:35:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 8:31:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:16:24 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Pure Capitalism is basically a system where people just trade stuff with each other without any interference. For instance, if I want to sell some of my own feces or a car, then you can just come and pay me or trade some other stuff for it (your breast pump).

That is untrue. The term for that is free-market.
Capitalism=\=free-market.

Capitalism: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market. (Note the bolded)

Free Market: an economic system in which prices and wages are determined by unrestricted competition between businesses.

They seem pretty much the same to me. What definition of Capitalism are you using?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 9:30:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 8:35:57 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:31:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:16:24 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Pure Capitalism is basically a system where people just trade stuff with each other without any interference. For instance, if I want to sell some of my own feces or a car, then you can just come and pay me or trade some other stuff for it (your breast pump).

That is untrue. The term for that is free-market.
Capitalism=\=free-market.

Capitalism: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market. (Note the bolded)

Free Market: an economic system in which prices and wages are determined by unrestricted competition between businesses.

They seem pretty much the same to me. What definition of Capitalism are you using?

See other bolded. Also, getting a definition from a dictionary doesn't make it nonopinionated. Most Capitalist systems I know of are statist.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:05:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 9:30:18 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:35:57 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:31:14 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 8:16:24 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
Pure Capitalism is basically a system where people just trade stuff with each other without any interference. For instance, if I want to sell some of my own feces or a car, then you can just come and pay me or trade some other stuff for it (your breast pump).

That is untrue. The term for that is free-market.
Capitalism=\=free-market.

Capitalism: an economic system characterized by private or corporate ownership of capital goods, by investments that are determined by private decision, and by prices, production, and the distribution of goods that are determined mainly by competition in a free market. (Note the bolded)

Free Market: an economic system in which prices and wages are determined by unrestricted competition between businesses.

They seem pretty much the same to me. What definition of Capitalism are you using?

See other bolded. Also, getting a definition from a dictionary doesn't make it nonopinionated. Most Capitalist systems I know of are statist.

There aren't any implemented capitalist systems. The term "Capitalism" refers to one of two things. 1 is a free market system, and the term is used for that by advocates of capitalism. 2 is a mixed economy, and the term is used for that as a slur by Marxists. When one is defining an ideology, the advocacy use takes precedence over the slur use among the intellectually honest. Why? Because otherwise socialism means scat rape by fat people, because I hereby use it as such a slur.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
JimProfit1
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 3:28:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:30:19 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Can someone explain to me what both are.

Socialism just means any economy thats a "mixed" economy. The extent you take this Keynesian practice is what determines if whether or not you, or your country's policies, are a socialist. While socialism often gets associated with communism, it's really two different worlds. Socialism is simply saying that capitalism needs government hand in it, possibly A LOT of government hand... communism says there is no compromising with capitalism, and that in fact, it's possibly worse that socialism tries to "stabilize" capitalism by using government as a support beam.

Capitalism is simply the belief of owning private capital. Land, object, labor... It is just the practice of something is your's, and something is mine. Again, to what extent this goes is what determines a non-capitalist system, from a capitalist system. There has never been a non-capitalist system. Only different extensions of it by proclaiming that the state owns the land, the object, and the labor, vs private individuals. This is why Marx said communism was an eventual thing, and not a political ideology. He was a theorist, and theorized that mankind would EVOLVE into communism... where they would no longer see things in terms of ownership. Socialism, communism, etc, are just methods used to get us there faster. To try and steer us in the direction of not clinging to land, things, and the desire for more.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 3:13:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:46:39 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/11/2011 2:44:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Non-Marxist Communism - the government owns property
capitalism - individuals own property

fixd

Fix'd again. :)
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 5:15:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Capitalism is just a theory of negative rights. Don't attack innocent people and don't screw with their projects. So a bhuddist monk who lives by himself in the mountains is a perfect capitalist. A businessman who bribes government officials to shut down his competitors is not a capitalist.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
JimProfit1
Posts: 28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 5:56:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/12/2011 5:15:37 PM, Sieben wrote:
Capitalism is just a theory of negative rights. Don't attack innocent people and don't screw with their projects. So a bhuddist monk who lives by himself in the mountains is a perfect capitalist. A businessman who bribes government officials to shut down his competitors is not a capitalist.

(THIS IS WHAT LIBERTARIANS ACTUALLY BELIEVE)

Too bad they can't practice it... And at that, I can't find one libertarian or other rightwing "minarchist" philosophy that wouldn't lick the boot of that C.E.O, and make every excuse in the world for him. But that Tibetan monk is a freeloader and has no right to reside in that moutain as it's owned by the C.E.O!
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/12/2011 6:05:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 2:46:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
ok in capitalism the goal is to gain a profit right?
What is the goal in Socialism?:

To take money that doesn't belong to them so it can give that money to someone else.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)