Total Posts:27|Showing Posts:1-27
Jump to topic:

biggest reason for high unemployment

flames
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 8:32:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
trade deficit

economy runs on consumption and america spends more then it brings in

Whats the best way to reduce the trade deficit
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 8:36:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
No.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2011 8:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports - imports)

There's more than just the trade deficit methinks.

Private Consumption is the largest.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 2:38:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/17/2011 8:47:06 PM, askbob wrote:
Private Consumption is the largest.

But Bob, what is consumption? Let me save you the time and go to dictionary.com for their services. Bob puts on his status-quo, neo-economic glasses and looks at the screen:

con·sump·tion[kuhn-suhmp-shuhn]
–noun
1. ____________________________
2. ____________________________
3. Economics . the using up of goods and services having an exchangeable value.
4. ___________
a._________________
b._________________

con·sume; [kuhn-soom]
–verb
1.______________
2. ______________
3. _________________________
4. _______________________
5._____________________
–verb (used without object)
6. _____________________
7. to use or use up consumer goods.

There we go!

I'm not an economist, and I've actually looked the word up to find out myself, so I have a different idea of what "consumption" is. It is a word we have crafted over the centuries to describe a certain state.

Here are the actual definitions:

con·sump·tion[kuhn-suhmp-shuhn]
–noun
1. the act of consuming, as by use, decay, or destruction.
2. the amount consumed: the high consumption of gasoline.
3. Economics . the using up of goods and services having an exchangeable value.
4. Pathology .
a. Older Use . tuberculosis of the lungs.
b. progressive wasting of the body.

con·sume  [kuhn-soom]
–verb
1. to destroy or expend by use; use up.
2. to eat or drink up; devour.
3. to destroy, as by decomposition or burning: Fire consumed the forest.
4. to spend (money, time, etc.) wastefully.
5. to absorb; engross: consumed with curiosity.
–verb (used without object)
6. to undergo destruction; waste away.
7. to use or use up consumer goods.

These words reveal what we have learned through the millenia about what the act of consumption really is. Economists quell our concerns with euphemistic language, preferring to look at consumption as use, instead of as it really is: waste.

Consumption is what they called tuberculosis of the lungs because it wastes them and causes legions of death. There are nearly ten different terms they use (these are both from dictionary.com only) that are completely negative and outright dooming. Yet economists have managed to successfully change our language, and therefore they are changing the way we think about the world. Economics is therefore simply the ptolemaic model of resource distribution and management. Instead of insisting, stupidly, that the Earth causes the Sun to revolve around it, economics stupidly insists that wasteful destruction is a desirable goal and growth (and hence the destruction) can expand limitlessly without any thought to actively reducing it.
kfc
artwomyn
Posts: 77
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/17/2011 8:32:31 PM, flames wrote:
trade deficit

economy runs on consumption and america spends more then it brings in

Whats the best way to reduce the trade deficit

The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now. Even though the Obama administration, has granted businesses some heafty tax cuts.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 9:54:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Holy crap Rob! You are a brave man and few could survive what you have to go through every day.

"Consumption is what they called tuberculosis of the lungs because it wastes them and causes legions of death."

I can only imagine how you must feel about your own life everyday as you consume food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or consume oxygen by breathing. Or virtually do anything. ever.

I can get their contact info for you bro

http://www.freerepublic.com...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:00:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Dude, don't even go there. She knows way more about economics than any other economist ever! Her views are so brilliant that like Fermat, she doesn't need to explain or prove them. Everything we think we know about economics is wrong.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is. Even though economics may indicate that a company can hire, the owner of the company is a person, and so subject to potentially making irrational decisions. I'm on a contract for a company that is having orders canceled because we are not employing enough people to fill all the orders that are coming in. The demand for our product is great enough (and we are making a profit, so we have the capital) that we should be growing, but managament is saying that they don't want to.

You would think that companies would be all over the opportunity to grow, since that lowers their taxes (the less people on unemployment and paying taxes in, means that less the government needs to spend and so collect).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:15:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is.

Not the root cause. Unless your argument is that overproduction maximizes utility despite simple decreasing marginal utility graphs that show otherwise.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:19:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is. Even though economics may indicate that a company can hire, the owner of the company is a person, and so subject to potentially making irrational decisions. I'm on a contract for a company that is having orders canceled because we are not employing enough people to fill all the orders that are coming in. The demand for our product is great enough (and we are making a profit, so we have the capital) that we should be growing, but managament is saying that they don't want to.

You would think that companies would be all over the opportunity to grow, since that lowers their taxes (the less people on unemployment and paying taxes in, means that less the government needs to spend and so collect).

Nope. Even factoring in irrationality (and the market tends to weed it out), the causes for unemployment are mainly rooted in lack of aggregate demand for goods and labour in the economy.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:48:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:19:07 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is. Even though economics may indicate that a company can hire, the owner of the company is a person, and so subject to potentially making irrational decisions. I'm on a contract for a company that is having orders canceled because we are not employing enough people to fill all the orders that are coming in. The demand for our product is great enough (and we are making a profit, so we have the capital) that we should be growing, but managament is saying that they don't want to.

You would think that companies would be all over the opportunity to grow, since that lowers their taxes (the less people on unemployment and paying taxes in, means that less the government needs to spend and so collect).

Nope. Even factoring in irrationality (and the market tends to weed it out), the causes for unemployment are mainly rooted in lack of aggregate demand for goods and labour in the economy.

Not really. Sure, the owners could probably be making more than they are now, but they are still making millions each year, so they aren't exactly going to be removed.

The problem is the marginal value of the next dollar. When you make so much money, your next $50 bucks becomes pretty meaningless, and so other things, such as time with your family, hobbies, charities, and political action, become more meaningful. That means that economic theory actually predicts that people will do stupid things and irrational things simply because that money is not as important to them to wisely take care of.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:50:16 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:15:49 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is.

Not the root cause. Unless your argument is that overproduction maximizes utility despite simple decreasing marginal utility graphs that show otherwise.

It's one of many root causes. Surely you don't believe that there is a single cause for all our unemployment, which is universal for every single job?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:50:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:48:37 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:19:07 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is. Even though economics may indicate that a company can hire, the owner of the company is a person, and so subject to potentially making irrational decisions. I'm on a contract for a company that is having orders canceled because we are not employing enough people to fill all the orders that are coming in. The demand for our product is great enough (and we are making a profit, so we have the capital) that we should be growing, but managament is saying that they don't want to.

You would think that companies would be all over the opportunity to grow, since that lowers their taxes (the less people on unemployment and paying taxes in, means that less the government needs to spend and so collect).

Nope. Even factoring in irrationality (and the market tends to weed it out), the causes for unemployment are mainly rooted in lack of aggregate demand for goods and labour in the economy.

Not really. Sure, the owners could probably be making more than they are now, but they are still making millions each year, so they aren't exactly going to be removed.

The problem is the marginal value of the next dollar. When you make so much money, your next $50 bucks becomes pretty meaningless, and so other things, such as time with your family, hobbies, charities, and political action, become more meaningful. That means that economic theory actually predicts that people will do stupid things and irrational things simply because that money is not as important to them to wisely take care of.

Be that as it may, that wouldn't imply that irrationality in the market is significant enough to be the main cause of unemployment.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:51:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:50:16 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:15:49 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is.

Not the root cause. Unless your argument is that overproduction maximizes utility despite simple decreasing marginal utility graphs that show otherwise.

It's one of many root causes. Surely you don't believe that there is a single cause for all our unemployment, which is universal for every single job?

Aggregate Demand is a pretty universal factor.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 10:53:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:51:50 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:50:16 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:15:49 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is.

Not the root cause. Unless your argument is that overproduction maximizes utility despite simple decreasing marginal utility graphs that show otherwise.

It's one of many root causes. Surely you don't believe that there is a single cause for all our unemployment, which is universal for every single job?

Aggregate Demand is a pretty universal factor.

Unquestionably true, but also arguably tautological.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 11:25:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 10:51:50 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:50:16 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:15:49 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 10:11:39 AM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:58:14 AM, askbob wrote:
At 3/18/2011 9:41:45 AM, artwomyn wrote:
The reason that the unemployment rate remains stubbornly high, is because employers still are reluctant to hire now.

Oh yes that must be the root cause of unemployment! Dang and for some reason I thought i had to use economics to answer the question! Stupid me.

Well it is.

Not the root cause. Unless your argument is that overproduction maximizes utility despite simple decreasing marginal utility graphs that show otherwise.

It's one of many root causes. Surely you don't believe that there is a single cause for all our unemployment, which is universal for every single job?

Aggregate Demand is a pretty universal factor.

And what causes the low demand? Do people really want less stuff? Or is it just that they have less money to get less stuff. If people had more money, they would create more demand (because most people don't really know how to save money). That would indicate that the demand is not the root cause, but merely a part of the chain (which inevitably goes in a circle).

How does one increase demand. People have to believe that your product is more valuable to them than their money. This can be done by increase the value of the product, or by decreasing the value of the money (everything is refering to on a personal level, not an ecomonic level). You decrease the value of money by people having more of it. $50 to someone making $10 an hour is worth more than $50 to someone making $100 an hour (since it translates to different amount of hours worked to obtain said products).

Having people making less money (like being unemployed), thus makes that money more valuable to them (and so products become less valuable compared to the money) and so lowers demand for products.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 12:37:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 11:25:33 AM, OreEle wrote:

and so lowers demand for products.

Lowers demand for short term products. Obviously they're saving cash so they can spend ALL of it on food/rent/clothing.

In short, lol@savings/consumption dichotomy.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 12:40:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 12:37:52 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 3/18/2011 11:25:33 AM, OreEle wrote:

and so lowers demand for products.

Lowers demand for short term products. Obviously they're saving cash so they can spend ALL of it on food/rent/clothing.

In short, lol@savings/consumption dichotomy.

No, but they are going to be spending more of it on food/rent/clothing, and less on video games, nice computers, upgraded sound systems for their cars or whatever other luxuries. No one ever said "all" for anything.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 2:11:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/18/2011 2:03:19 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
The biggest reason for high unemployment in Britain is the Tories: always has been, always will be.

Well that's because a high concentration of bastards causes aggregate demand to fall as people get the hell out of dodge. Also pseudo tory ginger benders and actual tory vampires have no idea how to run an economy.
flames
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 8:44:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The german economy has improved thanks to exports

what type of impact would it have on the united states if we reduced imports by 15% and increased exports by 15%, so reduce the money leaving the united states by 15% and increase the wealth comming into the united states to be circulated by 15%
flames
Posts: 69
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2011 8:47:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
the 1947 to 1967 gen is decreasing their spending and increasing savings paying off debts so exporting is what america needs

America became superpower on exports by building and shipping to other country's and selling

When a country buys more then it brings in, it equals bad news