Jump to topic:

Unemployed and over 45?

artwomyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 8:10:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So many people that have been out of work, are over 45. If this is you, do you think that you'll ever work at your former level again, with regards to your job duties and salary? Or do you think that you've been put out to pasture, and will never find a job at your former job level again?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 9:04:16 AM
At 3/19/2011 8:10:37 AM, artwomyn wrote:
So many people that have been out of work, are over 45. If this is you, do you think that you'll ever work at your former level again, with regards to your job duties and salary? Or do you think that you've been put out to pasture, and will never find a job at your former job level again?

I just don't know that there's a lot of evidence to support this. Is it harder for a 60 year old to find work than a 25 year old? That completely depends on the context. I'm no so sure there is a greater likelihood that a 25 year old will stay with a job longer than a 60 year old, so i don't know the hiring of either has greater risk. The 60 year old may request a higher salary than the 25 year old and that puts a limitation on him, but that's life, and he would need to accept the conditions of the hiring market.

So much depends on the desired industry, willingness to be flexible, the particular experience of the older gentleman etc. I have a friend who has been out of work for a long time and he's 60. His inability to find a job doesn't come so much from his age, but rather the industry he was in, and his unreasonable attitude to change himself to other industries. He spent most of his life in the publishing business, and that's just a dying market for opportunities. On the other hand, i have a very good friend that is trying to retire and he cannot stop the job offers from coming, and he was a very skilled and successful sales executive.

It's really all about the job market and how well you accommodate the greatest opportunities.
artwomyn
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 9:23:23 AM
At 3/19/2011 9:04:16 AM, innomen wrote:

I just don't know that there's a lot of evidence to support this. Is it harder for a 60 year old to find work than a 25 year old? That completely depends on the context. I'm no so sure there is a greater likelihood that a 25 year old will stay with a job longer than a 60 year old, so i don't know the hiring of either has greater risk. The 60 year old may request a higher salary than the 25 year old and that puts a limitation on him, but that's life, and he would need to accept the conditions of the hiring market.

So much depends on the desired industry, willingness to be flexible, the particular experience of the older gentleman etc. I have a friend who has been out of work for a long time and he's 60. His inability to find a job doesn't come so much from his age, but rather the industry he was in, and his unreasonable attitude to change himself to other industries. He spent most of his life in the publishing business, and that's just a dying market for opportunities. On the other hand, i have a very good friend that is trying to retire and he cannot stop the job offers from coming, and he was a very skilled and successful sales executive.

It's really all about the job market and how well you accommodate the greatest opportunities.

Most of the 99ers, tend to be workers over 45. Many employers still have negative opinions, regarding older workers. I know that I would rather be 25 in this job market, than 52 (my age).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2011 9:35:37 AM
At 3/19/2011 9:23:23 AM, artwomyn wrote:
At 3/19/2011 9:04:16 AM, innomen wrote:

Most of the 99ers, tend to be workers over 45. Many employers still have negative opinions, regarding older workers. I know that I would rather be 25 in this job market, than 52 (my age).

May i ask your occupation?