Jump to topic:

What my government is doing

I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 3:11:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
They've decided to stimulate the economy and create roughly 100,000 jobs by reducing taxes to aid the tourism sector, reduce employers tax on low income workers and through some internship and retraining programs. (Full details heah http://www.rte.ie...)

Of course this has to be financed, and they're getting through a .6% levy on private pensions funds (inb4 Askbob rant on the important of his Roth and savings in general).

The reaction itself has been mixed, and I'm curious as to what DDO thinks, asides from the whole "this is straight-up theft" philosophy side of things and rather on the economic consequences.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 4:01:05 PM
reducing taxes to aid the tourism sector,
reduce employers tax on low income workers and through some internship and retraining programs. (Full details heah http://www.rte.ie...)

Reducing tax = :)

Of course this has to be financed, and they're getting through a .6% levy on private pensions funds (inb4 Askbob rant on the important of his Roth and savings in general).

Increasing tax and providing a disincentive to save = stupid

Seems to me like the only thing they're doing is redistributing wealth and calling it job creation.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 4:12:13 PM
At 5/12/2011 4:01:05 PM, askbob wrote:
reduce employers tax on low income workers and through some internship and retraining programs. (Full details heah http://www.rte.ie...)

Seems to me like the only thing they're doing is redistributing wealth and calling it job creation.

Even though it's suspected most high-earning pensions won't be touched :L?

http://www.irishtimes.com...
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 4:14:15 PM
At 5/12/2011 4:12:13 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

suspected lol
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 4:22:23 PM
At 5/12/2011 4:14:15 PM, askbob wrote:

suspected lol

"In a statement this morning the Department of Finance said people holding approved retirement funds (ARFs) will escape the levy......the only people eligible to hold such funds were directors who owned at least 5 per cent of their company, members of highly flexible small self-administered pension schemes with no more than 12 members, the self-employed or people with significant additional voluntary contributions.

"You would have to be someone who has a lot of money to consider this sort of a scheme, and [either] be comfortable making your own investment decisions or prepared to pay charges that would be quite high," said Jerry Moriarty, director of policy at industry body, the Irish Association of Pension Funds. "There was a lot of property and things wrapped up in these. This was not something for ‘run-of-the-mill' workers." "

So yeah, some rich will escape this at least.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 6:04:22 PM
At 5/12/2011 3:11:28 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
They've decided to stimulate the economy and create roughly 100,000 jobs by reducing taxes to aid the tourism sector, reduce employers tax on low income workers and through some internship and retraining programs. (Full details heah http://www.rte.ie...)

i like this idea from what i've heard of it.

this one seems completely and utterly retarded from what i've heard of it. if it goes through (which i doubt it will) ours would be one of three governments to ever have done.. and they're saying it'd be temporary but that's a load of horse sh1t.. also it goes completely against what our government has done in the past.. up til now we've had a tax break on pension schemes cosa the forseen crisis of a whole load of old poor people due to them not having saved enough.. so they incentivised saving.. to spare us a whole load of old poor people... and now they're trying to confiscate those savings to make work for the young.. it's a fix it for now, let a later government deal with the sh1theap we create with our fix it for now solution situation..

The reaction itself has been mixed, and I'm curious as to what DDO thinks, asides from the whole "this is straight-up theft" philosophy side of things and rather on the economic consequences.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 6:06:25 PM
At 5/12/2011 6:04:22 PM, badger wrote:
At 5/12/2011 3:11:28 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:

i like this idea from what i've heard of it.

this one seems completely and utterly retarded from what i've heard of it. if it goes through (which i doubt it will) ours would be one of three governments to ever have done.. and they're saying it'd be temporary but that's a load of horse sh1t.. also it goes completely against what our government has done in the past.. up til now we've had a tax break on pension schemes cosa the forseen crisis of a whole load of old poor people due to them not having saved enough.. so they incentivised saving.. to spare us a whole load of old poor people... and now they're trying to confiscate those savings to make work for the young.. it's a fix it for now, let a later government deal with the sh1theap we create with our fix it for now solution situation..

also, the politicians won't be subjected to this tax and nor will the super rich... they're trying to rape us thinking retardedly that we'll love them for it.. for their brilliant solution that's just gonna fvck us up a whole load more later on down the line...

signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 6:10:19 PM
At 5/12/2011 4:01:05 PM, askbob wrote:

yup.. but worse again is that they're only taking it from the average joes who can't afford to have it taken from them..
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2011 6:11:42 PM
At 5/12/2011 4:22:23 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 5/12/2011 4:14:15 PM, askbob wrote:

suspected lol

"In a statement this morning the Department of Finance said people holding approved retirement funds (ARFs) will escape the levy......the only people eligible to hold such funds were directors who owned at least 5 per cent of their company, members of highly flexible small self-administered pension schemes with no more than 12 members, the self-employed or people with significant additional voluntary contributions.

"You would have to be someone who has a lot of money to consider this sort of a scheme, and [either] be comfortable making your own investment decisions or prepared to pay charges that would be quite high," said Jerry Moriarty, director of policy at industry body, the Irish Association of Pension Funds. "There was a lot of property and things wrapped up in these. This was not something for ‘run-of-the-mill' workers." "

So yeah, some rich will escape this at least.

hadn't seen this lol
signature