Jump to topic:

Lower Gas Prices = Better Economy

Hambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:46:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm all for fair trade and for the government keeping their mitts off of other people's dough. But I think if we regulated gas prices, that'd do wonders for the economy. Think about how much more money people could spend if gas were still a dollar per gallon? TONS.
Hot and Dangerous
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 12:07:23 PM
Hm, if prohibiting people from selling gas at the price they want to charge does "wonders" for the economy, why not do the same for every other good? Just imagine how wonderful that would turn out to be!
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
djsherin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:17:21 PM
At 5/27/2011 11:46:28 AM, Hambone wrote:
I'm all for fair trade and for the government keeping their mitts off of other people's dough. But I think if we regulated gas prices, that'd do wonders for the economy. Think about how much more money people could spend if gas were still a dollar per gallon? TONS.

1) People would spend the same amount of money.

2) Why stop at gas prices? Just legally make everything cost 50% less.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:22:37 PM

If you use 10 gallons a week, that'd save about $28 a week (pending where you live). Which is only $121 a month. That would be nice to have, but really isn't going to do that much. I mean, I'm not exactly rolling in money, but that still would only increase my budget by about 4%.

And you'd hit the problem where stations would be running out of gas, thus leaving people stranded on the side of the road.

If you want to drop the price of gas by a good deal, you need to A) increase the supply B) decrease the demand (ideally a combination of both).

Forcing lower prices does not change the supply, and INCREASES demand. Meaning it would not be sustainable.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:23:22 PM

Yeah they could spend the differences in increased taxes to pay for the gas subsidies. They'd have to pay even more since the cheap gas would cause an increase in demand. We'd have less people carpooling and using more efficient public transportation systems so we'd end up paying much more in taxes.

I think we should go ahead and do it and waste a bunch of money by playing silly games with the economy. I have too much anywayz
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:30:59 PM

Wow, the gas companies should have YOU as one of their economic advisors.

Selling goods and services for less than they are worth = GENUIS!!!!!

No really, if gas companies sold gas a dollar per gallon they would be out of buisness within the week......due to the little known fact that it costs them far more than a dollar to produce a gallon of gasoline.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:33:07 PM
Gas is so ridiculously undervalued.

It costs us 4 dollars to go 20 miles sitting on our arss in an hour.

Try hiring a rickshaw in the USA to take you 20 miles for 4 dollars.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:47:45 PM
If you truly want to decrease fuel costs legalize hemp so people can make hemp based fuels and plastics.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:57:13 PM
At 5/27/2011 6:47:45 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
If you truly want to decrease fuel costs legalize hemp so people can make hemp based fuels and plastics.

Hemp is legal (so long as the THC is under a certain concentration).
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 7:00:14 PM
At 5/27/2011 6:57:13 PM, OreEle wrote:

NO THATS NOT TRUE THE GOVERNMENT IS KEEPING IT ILLEGAL CUZ IT CURES CANCERZ AND STUFF AND THEY WANT TO KILL POOR PEOPLE
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 7:11:28 PM

"Hemp is not legal to grow in the U.S. under Federal law because of its relation to marijuana, and any imported hemp products must meet a zero tolerance level. It is considered a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act (P.L. 91-513; 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.). Some states have defied Federal law and made the cultivation of industrial hemp legal. These states — North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, West Virginia and Vermont — have not yet begun to grow hemp because of resistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration.[70]"
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Minister Of Trolling
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 7:37:28 PM
At 5/27/2011 7:11:28 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

"Hemp is not legal to grow in the U.S. under Federal law because of its relation to marijuana, and any imported hemp products must meet a zero tolerance level. It is considered a controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act (P.L. 91-513; 21 U.S.C. 801 et seq.). Some states have defied Federal law and made the cultivation of industrial hemp legal. These states — North Dakota, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, West Virginia and Vermont — have not yet begun to grow hemp because of resistance from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration.[70]"

http://uscode.house.gov...

Let me pull this from the our law books...

"The term "marihuana" means all parts of the plant Cannabis
sativa L.
, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin
extracted from any part of such plant; and every compound,
manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such
plant, its seeds or resin. Such term does not include the mature
stalks of such plant, fiber produced from such stalks, oil or cake
made from the seeds of such plant, any other compound, manufacture,
salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such mature stalks
(except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the
sterilized seed of such plant which is incapable of germination."

I'd also like to point out the Schedule I drugs listed further down. It does not list "Marijuana" (or "marihuana" for that matter). But it does list THC, meaning hemp which is THC free is 100% legal.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 8:13:00 PM
At 5/27/2011 7:37:28 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 5/27/2011 7:11:28 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:

http://uscode.house.gov...

Let me pull this from the our law books...

"The term "marihuana" means all parts of the plant Cannabis
sativa L.
, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin
extracted from any part of such plant; and every compound,
manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such
plant, its seeds or resin. Such term does not include the mature
stalks of such plant, fiber produced from such stalks, oil or cake
made from the seeds of such plant, any other compound, manufacture,
salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of such mature stalks
(except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, or the
sterilized seed of such plant which is incapable of germination."

I'd also like to point out the Schedule I drugs listed further down. It does not list "Marijuana" (or "marihuana" for that matter). But it does list THC, meaning hemp which is THC free is 100% legal.

You can own products made from hemp but you cannot grow it in the United States of America! Although you could attempt to get an license It would be incredibly hard for you to do so hence my point still stands for if they do not make licensing easier we shall never have our internalized source of alternative fuel that is easy as hell to grow!
http://brokensecrets.com...
http://www.industrialhemp.net...
http://www.upnorthlive.com...
http://www.votehemp.com...
http://www.naturalnews.com...
Minister Of Trolling
:
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 8:14:25 PM
If the lower gas prices are caused by a more plentiful supply of oil, then, ceteris paribus, the economy is better than before.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 8:23:38 PM
At 5/27/2011 8:19:16 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Yep, price controls ALWAYS work:
http://tinyurl.com...

Hemp based fuel is way better!
Minister Of Trolling
:
smc_gamer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 9:06:09 PM
@OP: Price controls never work. They interfere with the supply and demand structure. Setting the price too low will artificially raise demand while lowering supply, thus causing shortages.

It'd be a nice thing to have, though. I think we could save a lot by removing most of those taxes on gas.
"If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?"
-Hobbes
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 7:38:53 AM
At 5/28/2011 9:06:09 PM, smc_gamer wrote:
@OP: Price controls never work. They interfere with the supply and demand structure. Setting the price too low will artificially raise demand while lowering supply, thus causing shortages.

It'd be a nice thing to have, though. I think we could save a lot by removing most of those taxes on gas.

and having them re-added to income taxes?
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 11:36:49 AM
At 6/8/2011 7:38:53 AM, askbob wrote:

Or you could eliminate the Department of Education or the Department of Energy.
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 11:45:20 AM
At 6/8/2011 7:38:53 AM, askbob wrote:

Or just elimate income tax and implement a consumption tax. Whatever flows your boat.
turn down for h'what
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 11:49:55 AM
Controlling the selling price does not control the cost of production and distribution. At a dollar a gallon, no gasoline will be available because no one will sell at a loss. Carter put in moderate price controls, with major shortages the predictable result.

Oil company profits are about 9%. Cut that much and they will abandon US markets in favorable of more profitable international markets.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 12:33:49 PM
At 6/8/2011 11:49:55 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Controlling the selling price does not control the cost of production and distribution. At a dollar a gallon, no gasoline will be available because no one will sell at a loss. Carter put in moderate price controls, with major shortages the predictable result.

Oil company profits are about 9%. Cut that much and they will abandon US markets in favorable of more profitable international markets.

Most people here are too young to remember that.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 12:55:05 PM
At 5/27/2011 6:23:22 PM, askbob wrote:

Yeah they could spend the differences in increased taxes to pay for the gas subsidies. They'd have to pay even more since the cheap gas would cause an increase in demand. We'd have less people carpooling and using more efficient public transportation systems so we'd end up paying much more in taxes.

I think we should go ahead and do it and waste a bunch of money by playing silly games with the economy. I have too much anywayz

This. Spot on.