Total Posts:75|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Basic Economics

LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:19:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey Everyone,

I want to become more knowledgable in economics.

What do you suggest I read, like some online articles?

I want to learn more about the 'numbers' of economics and philosophy of economics.

If there are any books or articles that back up left-wing economics, that would be particularly interesting.

Thank You!
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:35:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Keynes General theory of Employment, Interest, and Money is pro-left.

It's actually quite a difficult book to read, so if your not up to it, you can read easy to read Austrian Economic books :-p (yet are 'right-winged')

Also, any books by Paul Krugman. Ha-Joon Chang is also left-winged, yet his books really fail at economic analysis.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:39:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:35:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Keynes General theory of Employment, Interest, and Money is pro-left.

It's actually quite a difficult book to read, so if your not up to it, you can read easy to read Austrian Economic books :-p (yet are 'right-winged')

Also, any books by Paul Krugman. Ha-Joon Chang is also left-winged, yet his books really fail at economic analysis.

Okay thanks xD
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:41:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. http://www.fee.org...
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:41:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

I understand that left-economics tries hard to not put profit before humanity. I know the basics of the basics. From what I have read and heard so far, I seem to agree with the left.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
LeoL
Posts: 109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:41:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:41:02 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. http://www.fee.org...

thanks a lot, everyone is really helpful on this site =D
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? -Douglas Adams
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:42:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:35:10 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Keynes General theory of Employment, Interest, and Money is pro-left.

It's actually quite a difficult book to read, so if your not up to it, you can read easy to read Austrian Economic books :-p (yet are 'right-winged')

Also, any books by Paul Krugman. Ha-Joon Chang is also left-winged, yet his books really fail at economic analysis.

Ya Keynes General theory is pain to read.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:42:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

Eh, I don't think anybody can truly be informed enough to pick a position on economist. You have Paul Krugman who leans far to the left, and Milton Friedman who leans far to the right. Both are brilliant economists with nobel prizes. Both have two strikingly different political positions.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:48:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:41:49 PM, LeoL wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:41:02 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. http://www.fee.org...

thanks a lot, everyone is really helpful on this site =D

Henry Hazlitt's book is way too bias :(. I don't think you can really have a non-bias book. However, I would recommend Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell over that.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:53:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:41:17 PM, LeoL wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

I understand that left-economics tries hard to not put profit before humanity. I know the basics of the basics. From what I have read and heard so far, I seem to agree with the left.

Fail. I can't think how any respectful economist can disagree with the importance of profits in society. At least in 90% of all scenarios.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:56:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:41:17 PM, LeoL wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

I understand that left-economics tries hard to not put profit before humanity. I know the basics of the basics. From what I have read and heard so far, I seem to agree with the left.

Economics does not try to do anything. Economics is a descriptive science that explains how the world works. That reason is equivalent to choosing Creationism over evolution because it's nice to believe that humans are special.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:57:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:48:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:41:49 PM, LeoL wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:41:02 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. http://www.fee.org...

thanks a lot, everyone is really helpful on this site =D

Henry Hazlitt's book is way too bias :(. I don't think you can really have a non-bias book. However, I would recommend Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell over that.

Henry Hazlitt's book is correct. That kind of bias should not be problematic.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 8:59:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:42:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

Eh, I don't think anybody can truly be informed enough to pick a position on economist. You have Paul Krugman who leans far to the left, and Milton Friedman who leans far to the right. Both are brilliant economists with nobel prizes. Both have two strikingly different political positions.

Either Paul Krugman or Milton Friedman is totally wrong about a substantial number of issues. That fact is unavoidable. I see no reason to be agnostic about who is correct because they both have medals.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 9:09:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:59:51 PM, Grape wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:42:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:38:41 PM, Grape wrote:
How can you pick a position on economics when you don't believe you even have a basic understanding of the discipline?

Eh, I don't think anybody can truly be informed enough to pick a position on economist. You have Paul Krugman who leans far to the left, and Milton Friedman who leans far to the right. Both are brilliant economists with nobel prizes. Both have two strikingly different political positions.

Either Paul Krugman or Milton Friedman is totally wrong about a substantial number of issues. That fact is unavoidable. I see no reason to be agnostic about who is correct because they both have medals.

Well some of its bad, but good left-wing economics is good and good free-market ecnomics is good too.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 9:23:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
don't listen to most of the bullcrap in this thread.

This is the book you want. A similar AP book taught me most of what I know about economics. Wikipedia and investopedia will tell you the rest once you have that book down.

http://www.amazon.com...
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 9:33:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 9:23:17 PM, askbob wrote:
don't listen to most of the bullcrap in this thread.

This is the book you want. A similar AP book taught me most of what I know about economics. Wikipedia and investopedia will tell you the rest once you have that book down.

http://www.amazon.com...

Askbob is so good at economics that this happened http://www.debate.org...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2011 9:42:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 9:33:47 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/18/2011 9:23:17 PM, askbob wrote:
don't listen to most of the bullcrap in this thread.

This is the book you want. A similar AP book taught me most of what I know about economics. Wikipedia and investopedia will tell you the rest once you have that book down.

http://www.amazon.com...

Askbob is so good at economics that this happened http://www.debate.org...

Actually you're right that's why that happened. Because I'm so good at economics that I'm too busy writing a 40 page financial thesis including a large complex excel model which on average saves the US tax payer 30k in their lifetime while saving those with a college education nearly 100k.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 4:15:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you want to be informed as to what's going on with the economy read the Wall Street Journal daily if possible. After a while you get a good feel for it, and understand the dynamics of everything. It's also less of a theoretical approach and more of an application approach.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 7:47:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 9:42:22 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/18/2011 9:33:47 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/18/2011 9:23:17 PM, askbob wrote:
don't listen to most of the bullcrap in this thread.

This is the book you want. A similar AP book taught me most of what I know about economics. Wikipedia and investopedia will tell you the rest once you have that book down.

http://www.amazon.com...

Askbob is so good at economics that this happened http://www.debate.org...

Actually you're right that's why that happened. Because I'm so good at economics that I'm too busy writing a 40 page financial thesis
Where do you go to grad school? Who is your supervisor?

including a large complex excel model
I'm an engineer. You can't intimidate me with fancy equations. And I hope that "excel" refers to some modeling strategy, and not Microsoft's Excel package. That would REALLY make me laugh.

which on average saves the US tax payer 30k in their lifetime while saving those with a college education nearly 100k.

You're so good at economics that you apply incentives to the market but forget to apply them to the state... We can add your proposal to the piles and piles of potential policy improvements that will never be implemented.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 12:48:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 7:47:31 AM, Sieben wrote:
Where do you go to grad school? Who is your supervisor?

Yes because I'm going to divulge all my personals so everyone can find out who i am.

I am not in grad school, i'm required to write a thesis for my honors college.

including a large complex excel model
I'm an engineer. You can't intimidate me with fancy equations. And I hope that "excel" refers to some modeling strategy, and not Microsoft's Excel package. That would REALLY make me laugh.

http://i55.tinypic.com...

which on average saves the US tax payer 30k in their lifetime while saving those with a college education nearly 100k.

You're so good at economics that you apply incentives to the market but forget to apply them to the state... We can add your proposal to the piles and piles of potential policy improvements that will never be implemented.

It's not a proposal dumbasss and doesn't involve the government but anyone with a 401k of taking advantage of a major tax loophole.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 1:40:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 12:48:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/19/2011 7:47:31 AM, Sieben wrote:
Where do you go to grad school? Who is your supervisor?

Yes because I'm going to divulge all my personals so everyone can find out who i am.

I go to UT austin and I have not yet chosen my supervisor, but it will probably be Dr. Lake, Dr. Balhoff, or Dr. Sephrenoori.

I am not in grad school, i'm required to write a thesis for my honors college.

Hehehe....

including a large complex excel model
I'm an engineer. You can't intimidate me with fancy equations. And I hope that "excel" refers to some modeling strategy, and not Microsoft's Excel package. That would REALLY make me laugh.


NESTED IF STATEMENTS?!

Volume =/= complexity

And the only reason it looks complex is because its messy. The reason it is messy is because you are doing the work in excel rather than a proper computer language or computation package.

You're so good at economics that you apply incentives to the market but forget to apply them to the state... We can add your proposal to the piles and piles of potential policy improvements that will never be implemented.

It's not a proposal dumbasss
You never made that clear. Regardless, I'm sure the above does apply to you even if it does not apply to this particular proposal.

and doesn't involve the government but anyone with a 401k of taking advantage of a major tax loophole.

Let me know when you sell your idea to tax accounting firms.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 2:43:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/18/2011 8:57:42 PM, Grape wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:48:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:41:49 PM, LeoL wrote:
At 6/18/2011 8:41:02 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Economics in One Lesson, by Henry Hazlitt. http://www.fee.org...

thanks a lot, everyone is really helpful on this site =D

Henry Hazlitt's book is way too bias :(. I don't think you can really have a non-bias book. However, I would recommend Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell over that.

Henry Hazlitt's book is correct. That kind of bias should not be problematic.

http://delong.typepad.com...

Even if you disagree with Keynes's work, you can't tell me that's hugely descriptive quote.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:00:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 1:40:44 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/19/2011 12:48:15 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/19/2011 7:47:31 AM, Sieben wrote:
Where do you go to grad school? Who is your supervisor?

Yes because I'm going to divulge all my personals so everyone can find out who i am.

I go to UT austin and I have not yet chosen my supervisor, but it will probably be Dr. Lake, Dr. Balhoff, or Dr. Sephrenoori.

I am not in grad school, i'm required to write a thesis for my honors college.

Hehehe....

including a large complex excel model
I'm an engineer. You can't intimidate me with fancy equations. And I hope that "excel" refers to some modeling strategy, and not Microsoft's Excel package. That would REALLY make me laugh.


NESTED IF STATEMENTS?!

Volume =/= complexity

And the only reason it looks complex is because its messy. The reason it is messy is because you are doing the work in excel rather than a proper computer language or computation package.

When you discover a massive tax loophole then code a model to prove its a loophole while using calculus to eliminate two iterative processes, write a 40 page paper describing the factors and the reasons why they create a loophole just let me know.

You're so good at economics that you apply incentives to the market but forget to apply them to the state... We can add your proposal to the piles and piles of potential policy improvements that will never be implemented.

It's not a proposal dumbasss
You never made that clear. Regardless, I'm sure the above does apply to you even if it does not apply to this particular proposal.

and doesn't involve the government but anyone with a 401k of taking advantage of a major tax loophole.

Let me know when you sell your idea to tax accounting firms.

Who said anything about selling? I'm coding a calculator for a website that I'll be hosting.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:13:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 3:00:51 PM, askbob wrote:

When you discover a massive tax loophole then code a model to prove its a loophole while using calculus to eliminate two iterative processes, write a 40 page paper describing the factors and the reasons why they create a loophole just let me know.

Calculus is hard :(

I'd hope I could do it in 10 pages.

But cool. You didn't address any of my points. Here's what it boils down to - You aren't explaining exactly what you're doing. That would take time that at least one of us is not willing to spend. My underlying point is that there is no prima facie reason to take you seriously, and many of the things you claim verify the "badassitude" of what you're doing are in fact markers of poor or sloppy work.

Who said anything about selling? I'm coding a calculator for a website that I'll be hosting.

Okay. Let me know when it is professionally *used*. Or propose an alternative measure of your success (that is not simply academic praise).
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 3:27:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just to back up Sieben. You would be doing yourself a massive favour to learn a programming language to do those kind of IF statements. They are really basic, but become a pain when done in Excel. It'd be well worth the half an hour it takes to get a basic handle on something really easy like Matlab.
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 5:41:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 3:13:38 PM, Sieben wrote:
At 6/19/2011 3:00:51 PM, askbob wrote:

When you discover a massive tax loophole then code a model to prove its a loophole while using calculus to eliminate two iterative processes, write a 40 page paper describing the factors and the reasons why they create a loophole just let me know.

Calculus is hard :(

I'd hope I could do it in 10 pages.

But cool. You didn't address any of my points. Here's what it boils down to - You aren't explaining exactly what you're doing. That would take time that at least one of us is not willing to spend. My underlying point is that there is no prima facie reason to take you seriously, and many of the things you claim verify the "badassitude" of what you're doing are in fact markers of poor or sloppy work.

Yes I'm bullshitting just for the hell of it those numbers really don't represent anything.

Who said anything about selling? I'm coding a calculator for a website that I'll be hosting.

Okay. Let me know when it is professionally *used*. Or propose an alternative measure of your success (that is not simply academic praise).

Will do chief.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 5:49:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Also be sure to let me know when you produce anything of intellectual value.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 6:19:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 5:41:46 PM, askbob wrote:

But cool. You didn't address any of my points. Here's what it boils down to - You aren't explaining exactly what you're doing. That would take time that at least one of us is not willing to spend. My underlying point is that there is no prima facie reason to take you seriously, and many of the things you claim verify the "badassitude" of what you're doing are in fact markers of poor or sloppy work.

Yes I'm bullshitting just for the hell of it those numbers really don't represent anything.

I said its prima facie evidence that your work is poor, not that its false. You fail to demonstrate the profundity if your project.

Will do chief.

You can just say you're running away from the conversation. Make sure you stay away though.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2011 6:46:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/19/2011 6:19:31 PM, Sieben wrote:

Will do chief.

You can just say you're running away from the conversation. Make sure you stay away though.

I wasn't aware there was a conversation. It was to help someone understand the basics of economics, you barged in attempting to insinuate that because I didn't finish a debate regarding economics, that I then know nothing regarding economics. I showed how much of an idiot you were for making the assumption and pointed to the work I was doing in place of the debate to which you made false assumptions and then attempted to blame me for your own false assumptions. Then you critized my thesis on the basis of a screenshot of the work and acted like a general d-bag.

I'm not "running away" from the conversation as the conversation was helping a guy understand basic economics, not about Sieben's lack of basic social skills and inability to engage in any conversation without bringing up complete irrelevant information in the form of a personal attack. I don't know what your emotional problems are, but frankly I don't have time to humor your idiocy.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos