Jump to topic:

Does the debt adjust for inflation?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 6:37:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It just occurred to me today that if the debt does not adjust for inflation then we could double the money supply(which I know would cause a shitload of problems) and our debt would suddenly be cut in half.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 6:46:17 PM
At 7/30/2011 6:37:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It just occurred to me today that if the debt does not adjust for inflation then we could double the money supply(which I know would cause a shitload of problems) and our debt would suddenly be cut in half.

Right, but when you weaken the dollar then the stuff you print doesn't get rid of as much debt as if the dollar were stronger.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 6:49:10 PM
It's possible that some of our debt is based off of another currency so that inflating the dollar won't change it. If China actually loaned us its own currency, and we inflate our own, we'd weaken the exchange rate and owe the same amount of China's currency.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 8:25:41 PM
At 7/30/2011 6:46:17 PM, Wnope wrote:
At 7/30/2011 6:37:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Right, but when you weaken the dollar then the stuff you print doesn't get rid of as much debt as if the dollar were stronger.

When you print s*** and give it to the creditor, the debt is gone.

And your country will on average have to sell its stuff where the money went, but that's true of any method of debt repayment.

Of course, you're much less likely to be a trusted debtor in the future.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 11:25:53 PM
That's pretty much what occurs If the FED buys treasury bonds. The american government gets most of the profits from the FED, so really If the FED holds treasury bonds, the government is just lending to itself. That's pretty much what the government is doing now:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

Just look at the money supply, look at the monetary base:
http://www.shadowstats.com...

Can you say hyperinflation?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:06:51 AM
All the debt is in dollars.

Inflating the currency does diminish the value of the debt, along with all the other dollar assets. There was talk of floating the Greek currency independent of the euro, so that it could be inflated. However, all the bond holders would lose their investments just the same as default.