Jump to topic:

Growth and poverty

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 5:15:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here's what I don't seem to understand. If there are any liberals that want to explain it to me, please do.

Liberals tend to be in favor of wealth redistribution and alleviating poverty. And that's fine.

However, liberals also seem to also be against economic growth. Now this is what I don't understand. Economic growth reduces absolute poverty. Improving economic growth has allowed foods to become safer to eat, improved health care, and has alleviated famines. Economic growth puts people out of poverty, and allows people to have a better standard of living. Life for even the poorest people is much better than it was for rich people a century.

This seems to be a contradiction? Please liberals, explain.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 8:51:01 PM
At 8/21/2011 5:15:46 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Here's what I don't seem to understand. If there are any liberals that want to explain it to me, please do.

Liberals tend to be in favor of wealth redistribution and alleviating poverty. And that's fine.

However, liberals also seem to also be against economic growth. Now this is what I don't understand. Economic growth reduces absolute poverty. Improving economic growth has allowed foods to become safer to eat, improved health care, and has alleviated famines. Economic growth puts people out of poverty, and allows people to have a better standard of living. Life for even the poorest people is much better than it was for rich people a century.

I'm not familiar with many liberals against growth. Their problems tend to be in the manner in which a country grows the means it uses.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 8:54:24 PM
At 8/21/2011 8:51:01 PM, Wnope wrote:

I'm not familiar with many liberals against growth. Their problems tend to be in the manner in which a country grows the means it uses.

From a liberal website:
http://www.huppi.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:06:37 PM
At 8/21/2011 8:54:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:

From a liberal website:

Those nuts are confusing productive growth within our capabilities and some hillbilly exponential expansion that the zero-population movement pretends is just on the horizon.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2011 9:34:46 PM
At 8/21/2011 9:20:55 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I've never known any liberal who was against economic growth.

There's the zero-pops who think that continuing population expansion and resource depletion will lead to some form of apocalypse.

Of course, that stance also tends to put the environments health over humans health which to me is a bit of a cart before the horse approach.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2011 8:11:52 PM
At 8/21/2011 8:54:24 PM, darkkermit wrote:
However, liberals also seem to also be against economic growth.

From a liberal website:

Any other sources, or are we to presume that you are generalizing, tarring all liberals because you found a single liberal nutcase?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 12:09:24 AM
Liberals aren't against growth per say... However they are for policies that reduce economic growth (higher tax rates, regulation, etc.)...

I guess they would prefer these things to higher GDP, different philosophies...
President of DDO
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 11:29:29 AM

High five lol

However, liberals also seem to also be against economic growth.

Depending on exactly what you mean by liberals, I don't think many are actually anti-growth. I think it's more that a lot of people on the left are pointing out that economic growth, in and of itself, is not the be all and end all of society.

That's why now governments are bringing in "happiness indexes" and the like, to show that GDP isn't the ultimate measurement of a nation's success. Right wing economic theory on the other hand, seems based on notions of infinite growth being attainable and desirable.