Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:44:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Minimum wage hurts the economy:
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:46:29 AM
At 11/6/2011 10:44:51 AM, 16kadams wrote:

*jaw drops*
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:53:00 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this.

I understand that the unemployment rate would go down without a minimum wage, but the amount of people employed who can't support themselves would increase.

Imagine a single mother working a minimum wage job at store X to support her child. Now without a minimum wage, the store can reduce her salary. She doesn't have a choice because she needs the job.

Minimum wages uphold basic human rights.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:57:22 AM
At 11/6/2011 10:53:00 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

I understand that the unemployment rate would go down without a minimum wage, but the amount of people employed who can't support themselves would increase.

Imagine a single mother working a minimum wage job at store X to support her child. Now without a minimum wage, the store can reduce her salary. She doesn't have a choice because she needs the job.

What right specifically does it uphold?
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 10:59:32 AM
At 11/6/2011 10:57:22 AM, socialpinko wrote:

The Right to Life. Minimum wage is the bare-bone amount of money that you need to survive. Anything less than that is a violation.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:03:45 AM
If you really support the right to life then you should be against minimum wage.

If you assume the person cannot get income for greater than 5 dollars an hour (for whatever reason)

Then you are forcing that person to live on zero income rather than say 4 dollars an hour temporarily. Unemployment sucks worse than low wages.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:04:43 AM
dissagree I have a libatarian view on this topic, there is no right to a 7.50 per hour wage,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com...

So if you want to help people get a job=more wealth then reapleal the minimum wage
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:08:06 AM
At 11/6/2011 10:59:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

The Right to Life. Minimum wage is the bare-bone amount of money that you need to survive. Anything less than that is a violation.

Misrepresentation of the right to life. You obviously believe in the right to life in a positive sense, meaning anyone can do anything to anyone to stay alive(stealing, destroying property, and even killing-meaning violating someone else's right to life) as opposed to the negative right to life- that no one may actually kill you. A positive right to life is fundamentally inconsistent in that if you can control other people's actions to stay alive, that includes being able to kill them(to violate their right to life).
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:08:45 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:04:43 AM, 16kadams wrote:
dissagree I have a libatarian view on this topic, there is no right to a 7.50 per hour wage,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com...

So if you want to help people get a job=more wealth then reapleal the minimum wage

Your graph proves my point.

Minimum wage goes down, unemployment goes up. Therefore, we must maintain a stable minimum wage.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:11:48 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:08:06 AM, socialpinko wrote:
At 11/6/2011 10:59:32 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Misrepresentation of the right to life. You obviously believe in the right to life in a positive sense, meaning anyone can do anything to anyone to stay alive(stealing, destroying property, and even killing-meaning violating someone else's right to life) as opposed to the negative right to life- that no one may actually kill you. A positive right to life is fundamentally inconsistent in that if you can control other people's actions to stay alive, that includes being able to kill them(to violate their right to life).

You're putting words in my mouth. I believe that right to life in this context means that:
1. Nobody starves
2. Everybody who has a job can at least support a small family

I by no means believe that everybody should be equal, but everybody should be given a basic chance to survive.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:14:24 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:03:45 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
If you really support the right to life then you should be against minimum wage.

If you assume the person cannot get income for greater than 5 dollars an hour (for whatever reason)

Then you are forcing that person to live on zero income rather than say 4 dollars an hour temporarily. Unemployment sucks worse than low wages.

What you are saying is exploitation of the working class to the extreme.

Being a libertarian/An-Cap, I believe in capitalism. But I also believe that everybody who has a job in a capitalistic world should be able to support themselves.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:22:08 AM
Minimum wage laws were introduced a decade ago in Britain. Initially the Conservatives were against it but have since changed their position to full support. The evidence suggests that minimum wage laws have helped far more lower income people that it has harmed. Whether minimum wage laws are a good idea depends on how elastic employment demand is. Most industries still have to hire workers even if they are paying a higher price than they would like. Combined with a social welfare state that prevents the unemployed falling into poverty, it is far from obvious that the minimum wage does more harm than good as Freidman claims.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:22:36 AM
no it doesnt because both of those up, also that makes no sense, go to balancedpolitics.org and you will get the gist
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:24:30 AM
yes minimum wage helps lower income families when they have a job, it doesnt help when your job is outscourced to china because of the minimum wage, I know for a fact most economists agree with me well at leats in america
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:27:38 AM
yes minimum wage helps lower income families when they have a job, it doesnt help when your job is outscourced to china

Outsourcing jobs might be a significant concern. I don't really have a strong opinion either way about minimum wage. It's never going to be taken away - public opinion is far too strong in favour of it.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:28:33 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:14:24 AM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 11/6/2011 11:03:45 AM, Greyparrot wrote:

What you are saying is exploitation of the working class to the extreme.

Being a libertarian/An-Cap, I believe in capitalism. But I also believe that everybody who has a job in a capitalistic world should be able to support themselves.

Again... unemployment sucks alot worse than low wages, trust me on this, been there done that, and was glad to work under the table for scraps, away from the prying hand of the government.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:30:28 AM
Then again, minimum wage has no bad effect on you personally if you have no qualms about getting money for not working from the government.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:33:26 AM
I really hate the old "can't support a family" argument against minimum wage. People who obtain low-paying jobs shouldn't be the ones with the family, but the people who are trying to gain valuable work experience so that they can work their way up to a high paying job. It's not about the mother trying to support his/her family, but to the people who have never had an opportunity to gain skills or the people who have a bad track record and need a job to show the world that he/she is responsible.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 11:49:12 AM
At 11/6/2011 11:33:26 AM, darkkermit wrote:
I really hate the old "can't support a family" argument against minimum wage. People who obtain low-paying jobs shouldn't be the ones with the family, but the people who are trying to gain valuable work experience so that they can work their way up to a high paying job. It's not about the mother trying to support his/her family, but to the people who have never had an opportunity to gain skills or the people who have a bad track record and need a job to show the world that he/she is responsible.

^^ This

Thankfully minimum wage laws mean I can legally work for far less than an adult, but when I'm 18 I'm forced to work for more. The ability to set the rate at which your willing to work for should be a personal decision and a fundamental right.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:34:44 PM

The notion of not only a libertarian, but an ANARCHIST supporting MINIMUM WAGE LAWS is too insane to contemplate.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:44:03 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:34:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The notion of not only a libertarian, but an ANARCHIST supporting MINIMUM WAGE LAWS is too insane to contemplate.

why?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:44:21 PM

No government, except to uphold the minimum wage. lol.
:
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:47:05 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:44:21 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Full anarchy does not work.
There has to be a very limited government to promote basic human needs.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:54:33 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:47:05 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

So then why did you say you were an an-cap? You believe that a very limited government is needed to promote "basic human needs". Sorry, but I can't see that as a very libertarian ideology. Maybe your a moderate, but not a libertarian.

Libertarians tend not to believe that government should "promote basic human needs". They believe that government should protect "property rights" and that's pretty much it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:58:38 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:54:33 PM, darkkermit wrote:

So then why did you say you were an an-cap? You believe that a very limited government is needed to promote "basic human needs". Sorry, but I can't see that as a very libertarian ideology. Maybe your a moderate, but not a libertarian.

Libertarians tend not to believe that government should "promote basic human needs". They believe that government should protect "property rights" and that's pretty much it.

"Libertarianism, in the strictest sense, is the political philosophy that holds individual liberty as the basic moral principle of society"
http://en.wikipedia.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:00:34 PM
At 11/6/2011 12:58:38 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

"Libertarianism, in the strictest sense, is the political philosophy that holds individual liberty as the basic moral principle of society"

Individual liberty, not "needs" in general. A government that can provide everything you need can take everything you have.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:03:01 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:00:34 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Individual liberty, not "needs" in general. A government that can provide everything you need can take everything you have.

A government should not provide everything.
It should simply make sure that the basic needs of everybody are met.
I do not believe that everybody deserves an education, a car, or a government sponsored house. What I do believe is that everybody should have enough food and resources to support themselves.
One way of doing this is by minimum wage.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:04:31 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:03:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Your needs=everything you need. :)

I do not believe that everybody deserves an education, a car, or a government sponsored house. What I do believe is that everybody should have enough food and resources to support themselves.
Minimum wage ensures the opposite for a lot of people.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:05:58 PM
At 11/6/2011 1:04:31 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/6/2011 1:03:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Your needs=everything you need. :)
I said basic needs, not "needs" in general.

Minimum wage ensures the opposite for a lot of people.
How?