Total Posts:68|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Favorite Economist?

Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 1:05:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Who is your favorite economist?

I have a tie between Milton Friedman and Peter Schiff.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 7:42:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/21/2012 11:16:07 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
Ludwig Von Mises.

He is also one of my favorites. You're probably into Hayek as well.
"The Theory of Money and Credit" is a classic.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 7:48:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/21/2012 7:42:46 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 1/21/2012 11:16:07 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
Ludwig Von Mises.

He is also one of my favorites. You're probably into Hayek as well.
"The Theory of Money and Credit" is a classic.

Absolutely.
President of DDO
MyVoiceInYourHead
Posts: 260
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 2:43:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think the economists with the best ideas (old and new) are

Irving Fisher
Henry George

James Robertson (UK)
James Gibb Stuart (UK)
Bill Still (US)
Steve Keen (Aus)
Ben Dyson (UK)
Bob Welham (UK)
Professor Richard Werner (UK)

Most of these guys actually address the fact that commercially-issued debt-based money is a problem and is out of control.

Mainstream economists such as Friedman, Mises et al conveniently forget about this in their analysis.
Brain_crazy
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 4:13:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/20/2012 1:05:46 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Who is your favorite economist?


I have a tie between Milton Friedman and Peter Schiff.

Daniel Kahneman (psychologist) owned them all with behavioral economics. (debunking rational utility theory and implementing prospect theory)
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 8:00:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Milton Freidman
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 8:02:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Murray Rothbard.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 7:02:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/6/2012 8:00:27 AM, 16kadams wrote:
Milton Freidman + Art Laugher

fixed
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 12:41:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Daniel Kahneman (psychologist) owned them all with behavioral economics. (debunking rational utility theory and implementing prospect theory)

Austrian economics is based on Praxeology: the study of human action.
I would posit that while Daniel Kahneman is a brilliant psychologist and behavioral expert, he is not as great as Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises, or Peter Schiff in the realm of economics. Respectively, those men predicted stagflation, the Great Depression, and the Great Recession (also dot-com bubble, housing bubble, etc..).
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Brain_crazy
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 1:16:21 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/7/2012 12:41:20 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Daniel Kahneman (psychologist) owned them all with behavioral economics. (debunking rational utility theory and implementing prospect theory)

Austrian economics is based on Praxeology: the study of human action.
I would posit that while Daniel Kahneman is a brilliant psychologist and behavioral expert, he is not as great as Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises, or Peter Schiff in the realm of economics. Respectively, those men predicted stagflation, the Great Depression, and the Great Recession (also dot-com bubble, housing bubble, etc..).

Ya maybe, but it's still pretty bad ace that he was like "o you poor economists good try, here let me help you out.. don't' worry you guys well get it someday". I had to point out the pwnage of psychology over economics hehehehe.
Brain_crazy
Posts: 242
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 1:17:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/7/2012 1:16:21 PM, Brain_crazy wrote:
At 2/7/2012 12:41:20 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Daniel Kahneman (psychologist) owned them all with behavioral economics. (debunking rational utility theory and implementing prospect theory)

Austrian economics is based on Praxeology: the study of human action.
I would posit that while Daniel Kahneman is a brilliant psychologist and behavioral expert, he is not as great as Milton Friedman, Ludwig von Mises, or Peter Schiff in the realm of economics. Respectively, those men predicted stagflation, the Great Depression, and the Great Recession (also dot-com bubble, housing bubble, etc..).

Ya maybe, but it's still pretty bad ace that he was like "o you poor economists good try, here let me help you out.. don't' worry you guys well get it someday". I had to point out the pwnage of psychology over economics hehehehe.

get the hang of it someday*
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 2:11:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That is cool.
The majority of economists are interventionists, Keynesians, or clueless statists who use complex mathematical models to predict economic events even when those models are flawed and ineffective. Their methods for fixing economic problems usually exacerbate them.
"Keynesians are to economics what witch doctors are to medicine." -Peter Schiff

The reason Daniel Kahneman and my choices succeeded is because their methods are based on human behavior, axioms, and deductive logic.
You can check out Peter Schiff humiliating various economists on YouTube, if you're into intellectual evisceration.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 2:17:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/22/2012 2:43:36 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Mainstream economists such as Friedman, Mises et al conveniently forget about this in their analysis.

Lolol
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Paul Krugman
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 10:03:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman

lol ok you should have met my grandpa.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contradiction
Posts: 409
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 10:07:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
St. Thomas Aquinas.

He isn't really thought of as an economist per se, but he, along with Aristotle and St. Augustine, laid foundation for a robust economic theory. cf. http://www.lehrmaninstitute.org... and http://www.amazon.com...
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 10:38:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman

This is a thread for favorite economist.

Not for favorite political pundit.
President of DDO
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:19:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/9/2012 10:38:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman


This is a thread for favorite economist.

Not for favorite political pundit.

Oh, and Peter Schiff if ok? Krugman actually was an economist at one point in his life.
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
MyVoiceInYourHead
Posts: 260
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 3:42:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/7/2012 2:17:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/22/2012 2:43:36 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Mainstream economists such as Friedman, Mises et al conveniently forget about this in their analysis.

Lolol

OK fair comment. Mises is usually rejected by mainstream. It might be becoming the mainstream though...
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 9:58:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/9/2012 10:38:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman


This is a thread for favorite economist.

Not for favorite political pundit.

Paul Krugman is an economist not limited to politics itself. True, he is a liberal, and likes to criticize the GOP with his work. However:

Mr. Krugman received his B.A. from Yale University in 1974 and his Ph.D. from MIT in 1977. He has taught at Yale, MIT and Stanford. At MIT he became the Ford International Professor of Economics. He also received the Nobel Prize in economics. However, Paul Krugman sometimes advocates for non-liberal policies, such as Free Trade, and is against farm subsidies. I also share these moderate viewpoints. The fact that Mr. Krugman advocates liberal beliefs as well is just a nice convenience for us.

http://topics.nytimes.com...

About favorite political pundit, mine is (probably guessed) Michael Moore, from my home state of Michigan. He is president in my profile pic.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:37:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
About favorite political pundit, mine is (probably guessed) Michael Moore, from my home state of Michigan. He is president in my profile pic.

. . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘". . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-". . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ":,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:". . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . ."~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . "~,_. . . .."~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . ."=,_. . . ."-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~"; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . ."=-._. . .";,,./`. . /" . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . .."~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-"
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 9:28:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
John Maynard Keynes
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Mimshot
Posts: 275
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 12:31:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This thread is actually quite sad. The fact that the people who keep coming up are Mises, Krugman, Keynes, Schiff (lol?), etc. shows that the OP's question is being answered not by people who actually have a favorite economist. Instead the question seems to be being answered as if it asked, "which economist best supports your political ideology?"

Here are some economists you might consider:
Franco Modigliani http://en.wikipedia.org...
Ronald Coase http://en.wikipedia.org...
John Forbes Nash http://en.wikipedia.org...
Daniel Kahneman http://en.wikipedia.org...
Mimshot: I support the 1956 Republican platform
DDMx: So, you're a socialist?
Mimshot: Yes
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 2:41:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 9:58:25 PM, Contra wrote:
At 2/9/2012 10:38:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman


This is a thread for favorite economist.

Not for favorite political pundit.

Paul Krugman is an economist not limited to politics itself. True, he is a liberal, and likes to criticize the GOP with his work. However:

Mr. Krugman received his B.A. from Yale University in 1974 and his Ph.D. from MIT in 1977. He has taught at Yale, MIT and Stanford. At MIT he became the Ford International Professor of Economics. He also received the Nobel Prize in economics. However, Paul Krugman sometimes advocates for non-liberal policies, such as Free Trade, and is against farm subsidies. I also share these moderate viewpoints. The fact that Mr. Krugman advocates liberal beliefs as well is just a nice convenience for us.

http://topics.nytimes.com...

About favorite political pundit, mine is (probably guessed) Michael Moore, from my home state of Michigan. He is president in my profile pic.

Krugman has discredited himself in recent years. He continues to advocate discredited fiscal stimulus policies. He also supports the failed social democratic model.
President of DDO
Contra
Posts: 3,941
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 2:57:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 2:41:36 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 2/10/2012 9:58:25 PM, Contra wrote:
At 2/9/2012 10:38:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 2/8/2012 8:05:22 PM, Contra wrote:
Paul Krugman


This is a thread for favorite economist.

Not for favorite political pundit.

Paul Krugman is an economist not limited to politics itself. True, he is a liberal, and likes to criticize the GOP with his work. However:

Mr. Krugman received his B.A. from Yale University in 1974 and his Ph.D. from MIT in 1977. He has taught at Yale, MIT and Stanford. At MIT he became the Ford International Professor of Economics. He also received the Nobel Prize in economics. However, Paul Krugman sometimes advocates for non-liberal policies, such as Free Trade, and is against farm subsidies. I also share these moderate viewpoints. The fact that Mr. Krugman advocates liberal beliefs as well is just a nice convenience for us.

http://topics.nytimes.com...

About favorite political pundit, mine is (probably guessed) Michael Moore, from my home state of Michigan. He is president in my profile pic.


Krugman has discredited himself in recent years. He continues to advocate discredited fiscal stimulus policies. He also supports the failed social democratic model.

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean that you attack an opponent. Krugman was not fully in support of the Stimulus package, because it was mostly made up of tax cuts, not infrastructure spending like Krugman supports. Plus, Krugman is a liberal, not a socialist. He has some moderate economic policy ideas as well, such as free trade.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:12:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/10/2012 3:42:06 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/7/2012 2:17:55 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 1/22/2012 2:43:36 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Mainstream economists such as Friedman, Mises et al conveniently forget about this in their analysis.

Lolol

OK fair comment. Mises is usually rejected by mainstream. It might be becoming the mainstream though...

Probably not, though Ron Paul has done a good job bringing it to the mainstream as best he can.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.