Total Posts:36|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Massive benefits from OSHA

Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:37:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.corporatewellness.com...
^New OSHA regulations/standards designed to protect workers from injuries caused by repetitive motions will help prevent over 400,000 injuries a year; and will result in savings of a net 9 billion annually after the first few years.

http://www.diamatrix.com...
^OSHA SHARPS standards have helped decrease the number of health care workers infected by blood borne pathogens by 95%. Saving hospitals near a net of 100 million dollars a year (this doesn't include health costs for those infected).

http://www.osha.gov...
^OSHA cooperative compliance programs are successful. In Wisconsin the CCP resulted in a 29.5% reduction in accidents and in Dakotas they saw a 50% decline.
^OSHA local emphasis programs result in local areas reducing their accidents by 50%

http://www.osha.gov...
^A study shows that after OSHA inspects a work place and imposes economic penalties the three years follow see a 22% reduction i accidents.

http://www.osha.gov...
^OSHA Scaffolding regulations such as requiring the use of a safety harness save 50 lives and 90 million dollars each year.

http://www.osha.gov...
^OSHA fall protection safety regulations (provide fall protection to employees) save 22 lives and 200 million dollars a year.

http://dailyreporter.com...
--^OSHA crane regulations such as requiring crane operators to have a license and inspecting parts before their use saves 20 lives and 55 million dollars a year.

http://www.signindustry.com...
----^OSHA Safety regulations on industrial vehicles such as training workers save 11 lives and 135 million dollars a year.

http://www.osha.gov...
http://www.osha.gov...
http://www.moneyunder30.com...
^Cotton dust standards regulations reduced "brown lung disease" by 98%.
^Cotton dust standard compliance costs were a total of 250 million in 1982 dollars
^Since the "cotton dust standard" regulations the amount of workers getting respiratory diseases fell by 45,000 yearly (at any one time).
^Cost of lung disease is around 50,000 dollars.
^ (Cost of lung disease) x (number of people who don't have lung disease due to regulation)
= (savings from cotton dust standard regulations)
50,000 x 45,000 = 2,250,000,000
^^^^^^^^^^^^OSHA "cotton dust standards" and regulations (since 1990) save over 2.25 billion dollars every year.

http://www.safetymanagementgroup.com...
https://engineering.purdue.edu...
http://www.osha.gov...
---^Direct cost of workplace injury at 38,000 dollars.
^There are currently around 8,000 trenching injuries a year.
^OSHA trenching safety regulations reduced trenching injuries by 35% or 3,675.
^OSHA trenching safety regulations such as requiring soil analysis and pillars to prevent collapsing save 140 million dollars a year.

http://www.osha.gov...
^OSHA Grain handling regulations save 7 lives a year, and reduced injuries by 15 a year.
22 x 38,000 = 836,000.
Grain handling regulations such as requiring a body harness and prohibiting walking on grain save 7 lives and 1 million dollars a year.

http://www.swmosafety.com...
^^New OSHA regulation limiting Crystalline Silica levels in working conditions to help prevent at most 7,000 cases a year,
^New OSHA regulations updating fall and slip safety estimated to save 20 lives each year and prevent 3,500 injuries, saving over 130 million dollars a year.

http://www.eesolutions.net...
http://www.bizjournals.com...
^Since the enactment of OSHA the number of work place injuries and illness has declined by 65%.
^The benefit cost ration for OSHA regulations is near 5-1, saving the economy a net of around 200 billion dollars each year.
^OSHA regulations help save 10,000 lives each year, and prevent 910,000 workplace injuries per year.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:41:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As part of OSHA training you have to demonstrate to the instructor that you can properly put on safety glasses and properly put on your own boots.
Fun fact.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:41:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:40:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
As long as there exist lawyers, there will always be 'accidents' no matter how much tax money you pump into OSHA.

So what OSHA actions save thousands of lives prevent thousands of accidents and save billions of dollars
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:43:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:41:52 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:40:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
As long as there exist lawyers, there will always be 'accidents' no matter how much tax money you pump into OSHA.

So what OSHA actions save thousands of lives prevent thousands of accidents and save billions of dollars

Exactly, why aren't we expanding OSHA??
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,311
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:44:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:41:52 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:40:11 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
As long as there exist lawyers, there will always be 'accidents' no matter how much tax money you pump into OSHA.

So what OSHA actions save thousands of lives prevent thousands of accidents and save billions of dollars

There's no OSHA regulation for being stupid, lazy, and unaware of what you are doing on the job. Good news for the lawyers, bad news for the companies of course.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,311
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:49:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

Strangely I agree.. I also believe these statistics from OSHA are grossly UNDERstated due to the fact they have absolutely no reason to fudge the data. Some more accurate fact finding should raise those lives saved if the government was paying attention to these things....
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,311
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:54:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?

To save a life from PREMATURE termination... the fomula is:
(expected lifespan-age@death)^10 * $1000

there ya go Lewis
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:59:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:54:05 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?

To save a life from PREMATURE termination... the fomula is:
(expected lifespan-age@death)^10 * $1000

there ya go Lewis

Now what about existing conditions? is it general expected lifespan or tailored to the person
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:03:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
If you cant read I suggest you go to 1st grade and learn how....
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:06:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:03:53 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
If you cant read I suggest you go to 1st grade and learn how....

It's really a simple question, how much do you believe a human life is worth.
11,800?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:08:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:06:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 7:03:53 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
If you cant read I suggest you go to 1st grade and learn how....

It's really a simple question, how much do you believe a human life is worth.
11,800?

Because on average that is how much each life produces in a year
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,311
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:08:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:06:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 7:03:53 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
If you cant read I suggest you go to 1st grade and learn how....

It's really a simple question, how much do you believe a human life is worth.
11,800?

In the 1800's a slave was worth at least twice that Lewis.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:16:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:08:14 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 7:06:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 7:03:53 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:59:43 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:58:57 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:50:33 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:49:17 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 6:46:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I say, triple OSHA's funding. If they can save this many lives and prevent this many injuries with only a few hundred million dollars, just think of what they could do with Billions of dollars

They could save thousands more lives, prevent thousands more accidents and save the economy billions more, however sadly some people don't think that all those things are worthy goals, or are things that we should try to achieve.

Can I ask a hypothetical, how much is a human life worth?
200,000 dollars? a million? a billion?
Well on average a human life in the whole word is worth 11,800 a year
https://www.cia.gov...

So you're saying it's worth 11,800?
If you cant read I suggest you go to 1st grade and learn how....

It's really a simple question, how much do you believe a human life is worth.
11,800?

Because on average that is how much each life produces in a year

So you agree with that number?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:33:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.themoneyillusion.com...

Amazingly enough, workplace fatalities were falling both before and after OSHA was passed, and we see no change in the drop in fatalities per year per year. It's correlation, not causation.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:34:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:33:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
http://www.themoneyillusion.com...

Amazingly enough, workplace fatalities were falling both before and after OSHA was passed, and we see no change in the drop in fatalities per year per year. It's correlation, not causation.

Woahhh get that logic and thinking out of here, I'm working a different angle...
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
JaxsonRaine
Posts: 3,606
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 7:34:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:33:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
http://www.themoneyillusion.com...

Amazingly enough, workplace fatalities were falling both before and after OSHA was passed, and we see no change in the drop in fatalities per year per year. It's correlation, not causation.

SHHHHHH!

Don't use charts around Starcraft. He will just deny they exist.

And the data they are based on.

Or, he will say the data is right but you are misunderstanding it.

Stupid facts...
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:06:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 7:33:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
http://www.themoneyillusion.com...

Amazingly enough, workplace fatalities were falling both before and after OSHA was passed, and we see no change in the drop in fatalities per year per year. It's correlation, not causation.
Actually if you look at the data accidents began falling at a faster pace when OSHA was enacted, and when you consider OSHA actions, inspections etc you find that they reduce accidents.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:08:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Nice move Starcraftzzz,

since me and JR demolished all of your points on the politics forum, just change forums and pretend like that never happened.
President of DDO
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:12:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 8:08:01 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Nice move Starcraftzzz,

since me and JR demolished all of your points on the politics forum, just change forums and pretend like that never happened.

If by demolished you mean lied and owned you'd be correct
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:13:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 8:12:45 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:08:01 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Nice move Starcraftzzz,

since me and JR demolished all of your points on the politics forum, just change forums and pretend like that never happened.

If by demolished you mean lied and owned you'd be correct

Um, except we didn't lie about anything.

You were the one who lied about the GAO survey, which says exactly what I said was in it.

You were dead wrong about Singapore.

You were beaten fair and square. As usual, facts trumps liberalism.
President of DDO
Starcraftzzz
Posts: 487
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:16:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 8:13:59 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:12:45 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:08:01 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Nice move Starcraftzzz,

since me and JR demolished all of your points on the politics forum, just change forums and pretend like that never happened.

If by demolished you mean lied and owned you'd be correct


Um, except we didn't lie about anything.
Is that why you can't copy and paste your own article?

At 3/7/2012 8:13:59 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
You were the one who lied about the GAO survey, which says exactly what I said was in it.
Odd because if you look at i it says nothing that you say it does. I asked you to copy and paste the data but you refused, the only logical reason you wouldn't do that is because you are full of $hit
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/7/2012 8:17:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 3/7/2012 8:16:40 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:13:59 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:12:45 PM, Starcraftzzz wrote:
At 3/7/2012 8:08:01 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Nice move Starcraftzzz,

since me and JR demolished all of your points on the politics forum, just change forums and pretend like that never happened.

If by demolished you mean lied and owned you'd be correct


Um, except we didn't lie about anything.
Is that why you can't copy and paste your own article?

At 3/7/2012 8:13:59 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
You were the one who lied about the GAO survey, which says exactly what I said was in it.
Odd because if you look at i it says nothing that you say it does. I asked you to copy and paste the data but you refused, the only logical reason you wouldn't do that is because you are full of $hit

Um, JR did copy and paste it. I did too. It was also directly in the source I posted so I shouldnt need to quotee it, but we did anyway.

And, nice how u are ignoring the fact that we killed u on the Singapore point.
President of DDO