Jump to topic:

The Root Theories of Left and Right

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 1:57:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When speaking of economics, it isn't always so clear what our distinctions of "left" and "right" really mean. Sure, we have a lot of assorted issues we associate with each side within our own context, but none of it gives a clear explanation of what left or right really are.

So this thought occurred to me of what this might be. I'd like your opinion on whether you think these root theories are a correct application to the terms. And I'd also like you to frivolously bicker among yourself about the practical difference between these two theories. There are both Libertarian and Authoritarian means of accomplishing these ends.

Left is this: Supporting the disadvantaged. Expanding on a minimum standard of living. Supposedly, this will allow more people to meet their full potential.

Right is this: Supporting the advantaged. Expanding on a maximum standard of living. Supposedly, this will create more wealth that will trickle-down to others.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 2:32:17 AM
I think the left definition is perfect but Im not so sure about the definition for the right
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 2:33:43 AM
Eh, I think its more expanded than those definitions.

Thats just a part of it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 2:44:34 AM
At 4/9/2012 2:33:43 AM, OberHerr wrote:
Eh, I think its more expanded than those definitions.

Thats just a part of it.

Of course not, no one really means anything specific when they say "left" or "right". I was just trying to capture the general feeling of what they mean.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 3:45:19 AM
At 4/9/2012 1:57:47 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Left is this: Supporting the lazy. Expanding on a minimum standard of living. Supposedly, this will allow more people to meet their full potential.

Right is this: Supporting the motivated. Expanding on a maximum standard of living. Supposedly, this will create more wealth that will trickle-down to others.

sounds good to me.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:12:21 AM
Left is this: Supporting the disadvantaged. Expanding on a minimum standard of living. Supposedly, this will allow more people to meet their full potential.

Left is this: Supporting social change to create a more egalitarian society. Wanting to reduce or abolish unjustified inequalities. Supposedly, this will allow more people to meet their full potential.

Right is this: Supporting the advantaged. Expanding on a maximum standard of living. Supposedly, this will create more wealth that will trickle-down to others.

I suppose these definitions are okay considering the idea was to be really short with them. Obviously both can be expanded upon. I do think where the left and right get blurry though are among anarchists, since leftists are usually known for idealizing State imposed regulations though leftist anarchists (like myself) obviously don't support the State.
President of DDO
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:33:22 PM
At 4/9/2012 8:05:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anyone care to elaborate on why one is better for the economy than the other?

economist can't agree on anything.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:49:08 PM
When speaking of economics, it isn't always so clear what our distinctions of "left" and "right" really mean. Sure, we have a lot of assorted issues we associate with each side within our own context, but none of it gives a clear explanation of what left or right really are.

So this thought occurred to me of what this might be. I'd like your opinion on whether you think these root theories are a correct application to the terms. And I'd also like you to frivolously bicker among yourself about the practical difference between these two theories. There are both Libertarian and Authoritarian means of accomplishing these ends.

The biggest CON in history. The belief that, if suddenly, you give a rich guy millions of more dollars, you will, yes you, will get richer too! Amazing!
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:49:46 PM
The basis of the Left and Right is morality.

Left = Nurturant Morality

Right = Strict Father Morality
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 8:55:26 PM
At 4/9/2012 8:49:46 PM, Contra wrote:

This may be true but this thread is actually only in the context of economic ends.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:34:46 PM
At 4/9/2012 8:55:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:

This may be true but this thread is actually only in the context of economic ends.

I know. Morality expands into all the frames of political thought, including economics. I can expand more tomorrow.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:36:23 PM
Left: Believe that the State has an inherent duty in providing a societal safety net and help for the disadvantaged. Supposedly, this will make everybody's quality of life better.

Right: Believe that the individual has an inherent duty to provide for his own well being, not the State, and as a result he suffers/reaps the consequences of his actions. Supposedly, this will make everybody's quality of life better.

I assume that we aren't talking about a moderate left/right stance but a somewhat extreme(ish) one.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:38:06 PM
At 4/9/2012 9:36:23 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Left: Believe that the State has an inherent duty in providing a societal safety net and help for the disadvantaged. Supposedly, this will make everybody's quality of life better.

Right: Believe that the individual has an inherent duty to provide for his own well being, not the State, and as a result he suffers/reaps the consequences of his actions. Supposedly, this will make everybody's quality of life better.

I assume that we aren't talking about a moderate left/right stance but a somewhat extreme(ish) one.

I actually think you definition is correct. However, it stems from Nurturant/ Strict father morality, as I will prove, so I have the "root theory" :D

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 9:54:05 PM

And that kids, is how to give a highly biased and unprofessional answer.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2012 10:07:50 PM
At 4/9/2012 9:54:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Care to enlighten me on what's wrong with it?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 12:59:12 AM
At 4/9/2012 10:07:50 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 4/9/2012 9:54:05 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Care to enlighten me on what's wrong with it?

No. I prefer everyone go on entertaining me with their specific delusions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:03:00 AM
At 4/9/2012 8:05:29 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Anyone care to elaborate on why one is better for the economy than the other?

The "economy" refers to the labor, capital, land resources, manufacturing, production, trade, distribution and consumption of goods and services of a particular area. So in order to answer your question, you'd first have to establish goals of the economy. If mass production and hyper consumption and growth is your goal, then Right economic policies would probably prove superior. If you want to establish a more egalitarian society, Leftist policies would probably be best. I am a leftist because I think it's better for both society and individuals.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:05:08 AM

I am a Leftist and I don't support the State so your entire answer is eradicated.
President of DDO
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:30:54 AM

That's the social left and right, and has been defined easily by people (although the third war and Blairite has buggered everything up)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 9:42:19 AM
At 4/10/2012 9:05:08 AM, Danielle wrote:

I am a Leftist and I don't support the State so your entire answer is eradicated.

This. I have exactly the same belief with regards as to whether or not the state should exist.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:29:06 AM

This is solely from a left-right socio-economic spectrum, not a y axis with libertarianism and authoritarianism.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:52:06 AM
At 4/10/2012 10:29:06 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

This is solely from a left-right socio-economic spectrum, not a y axis with libertarianism and authoritarianism.

No State=no state for any purpose, lol
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:53:38 AM
At 4/10/2012 10:52:06 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Not my point. My explanation is based on the x axis, not the y axis.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 10:59:13 AM
At 4/10/2012 10:53:38 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Your explanation is false because there are Leftists who do not want the state to exist at all. That includes for economic and and social purposes.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:00:43 AM
At 4/10/2012 10:59:13 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Your explanation is false because there are Leftists who do not want the state to exist at all. That includes for economic and and social purposes.

XXXXXXXXX

Not YYYYYYYY
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:02:30 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:00:43 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

XXXXXXXXX

Not YYYYYYYY

I understand that. I just explained to you that there are Leftists who do not want to have a government. These individuals believe in Leftist economics but think that the people can regulate businesses/themselves.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:04:48 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:02:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

XXXXXXXXX

Not YYYYYYYY

I understand that. I just explained to you that there are Leftists who do not want to have a government. These individuals believe in Leftist economics but think that the people can regulate businesses/themselves.

Most leftists support the existence of a State, hence I made a generalization about leftists.

Just because one crazy anarchist doesn't believe in the State does not mean that the entire liberal definition is wrong.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:08:11 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:04:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

XXXXXXXXX

Not YYYYYYYY

Most leftists support the existence of a State, hence I made a generalization about leftists.

Just because one crazy anarchist doesn't believe in the State does not mean that the entire liberal definition is wrong.

LOL, all Anarchist leftists don't believe in the State.

How would you like it if I made some ridiculous generalization about conservatives?
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2012 11:08:59 AM
At 4/10/2012 11:08:11 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 4/10/2012 11:04:48 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

XXXXXXXXX

Not YYYYYYYY

LOL, all Anarchist leftists don't believe in the State.

How would you like it if I made some ridiculous generalization about conservatives?

It's not a ridiculous generalization if most leftists/rightists believe in the basis of the viewpoint.

Compare the # of anarchists with the # of regular left or right people.