Jump to topic:

Never thought I would see the day

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 12:36:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I went to the local coinshow today, and someone was selling 5 & 10 pound .999 Copper bars. I've seen 1 ounce rounds before, but I figured they were just novelties, but apparently people are actually serious about Copper investment.

Is it a sign of the times that people are so nervous about paper currency that they'll even buy physical Copper to get out of fiat? I never thought I would see the day when that happened...what's next, .999 Zinc bars? .999 lead?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 1:04:08 PM
So they buy it like they would gold, as an investment? If so, I see the sense in it. Copper investments mostly only differ in price from investments in precious metals. Not to mention there is a market for it.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 1:06:16 PM
At 4/15/2012 1:04:08 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
So they buy it like they would gold, as an investment? If so, I see the sense in it. Copper investments mostly only differ in price from investments in precious metals. Not to mention there is a market for it.

Yes you're correct on all accounts, but it's just strange. Even if you classify copper as semi-precious (which is a stretch, I would call it a base metal) ....better than paper though I guess
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 1:09:35 PM
At 4/15/2012 1:06:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

Yes you're correct on all accounts, but it's just strange. Even if you classify copper as semi-precious (which is a stretch, I would call it a base metal) ....better than paper though I guess

It may not be semi-precious, but it does sell for a decent price. Not to mention its cheaper then the precious metals market.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 1:20:16 PM
At 4/15/2012 1:09:35 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
At 4/15/2012 1:06:16 PM, thett3 wrote:

It may not be semi-precious, but it does sell for a decent price. Not to mention its cheaper then the precious metals market.

That's true. It was hard for me to fork over 34 dollars for American Silver Eagles (I rememebr buying them for $18) but at least they'll retain their value for the most part
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2012 9:44:40 PM
I threw some Ron Paul copper rounds in with one of my silver orders once, obviously aren't worth much but neat to have either way.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 9:32:04 PM
At 4/15/2012 12:36:55 PM, thett3 wrote:
I went to the local coinshow today, and someone was selling 5 & 10 pound .999 Copper bars. I've seen 1 ounce rounds before, but I figured they were just novelties, but apparently people are actually serious about Copper investment.

Is it a sign of the times that people are so nervous about paper currency that they'll even buy physical Copper to get out of fiat? I never thought I would see the day when that happened...what's next, .999 Zinc bars? .999 lead?

As with anything, An ounce of pure copper is worth what someone will pay for it and or barter for it. It has value. Immensely more value than the paper dollar.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:20:09 PM
At 4/16/2012 9:32:04 PM, sadolite wrote:

As with anything, An ounce of pure copper is worth what someone will pay for it and or barter for it. It has value. Immensely more value than the paper dollar.

True, but the melt value is horrible. $10 for a $3 product.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:24:24 PM
At 4/15/2012 9:44:40 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I threw some Ron Paul copper rounds in with one of my silver orders once, obviously aren't worth much but neat to have either way.

Yeah I saw those. I think they're more of a cool thing to buy to pass out. Good way to get people to look into him.
kfc
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:27:22 PM

Very true good sir. The problem I have with it, however, is that you could get much more value in Silver or Gold when you buy bullion because copper is priced so highly over melt.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:29:22 PM
Also, I did buy a 1 ounce copper round for the hell of it. A pretty nice looking coin in fact, Saint Gaudens double eagle look on the front.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:55:22 PM
At 4/16/2012 10:29:22 PM, thett3 wrote:
Also, I did buy a 1 ounce copper round for the hell of it. A pretty nice looking coin in fact, Saint Gaudens double eagle look on the front.

How much?
kfc
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 10:57:16 PM
At 4/16/2012 10:55:22 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 4/16/2012 10:29:22 PM, thett3 wrote:

How much?

$2.

Way overpriced but..ehhh I like it :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/16/2012 11:16:14 PM
Ya I also got a way over priced d'Anconia copper coin once, just neat to have.

But ya If you are going to invest in copper you can hardly get it better than 2 dollars a lb over spot.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2012 6:33:28 PM
At 4/16/2012 10:20:09 PM, Koopin wrote:

Why would one melt pure copper bullion? The value is in the fact that it has already been melted and purified. Not to melt it down and make wire out of it.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/18/2012 2:57:06 PM
At 4/17/2012 6:33:28 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 4/16/2012 10:20:09 PM, Koopin wrote:

Why would one melt pure copper bullion? The value is in the fact that it has already been melted and purified. Not to melt it down and make wire out of it.

Melt value as in what it is worth melted. aka spot price. It's like $3-4 right now.
kfc
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2012 1:57:09 PM
Commodities have been popular for a long. People were melting down U.S. cents for the copper value until the government change to a zinc core. It used to be just gold and silver as bullion, but over the the years platinum and palladium have become popular. I doubt copper will become very popular. It's too cheap. The advantage is that it's cheap enough that many people can own it.

Copper has been a volatile commodity over the years, with wide price swings. I think mining companies are a better investment. they can adjust to markets.