Jump to topic:

Further Education

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2012 10:43:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There are two different considerations on how to fund college education that I am swayed between currently,

1) College is payed for by the private individual, or through an association between an employer and the student, who work out some sort of contract, so both sides benefit from the increased human capital.

2) College is payed for by a combination of gov't assistance and private association. Private enterprises that do pay for a student's education (voluntarily or for the additional human capital after the student's graduation for x amount of years) are given a tax credit. Federal subsidies for college education are provided on a sliding scale. And the subsidies are payed back on a scale that doesn't become too "burdensome" on the student after they find a job.

Help me decide which is better.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 3:01:41 AM
At 7/17/2012 10:43:05 PM, Contra wrote:
(voluntarily or for the additional human capital after the student's graduation for x amount of years) are given a tax credit.

I'm slightly confused by this, I think I've misunderstood, but surely companies shouldn't be given subsidies by the government to pay their employees the additional salary that education makes the employee worth? I'm assuming I've misread you, and you're referring to the employer giving the employee a, to simplify matters, yearly "Education Bonus", which is in addition to whatever the employee would receive normally?
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 9:42:40 AM
At 7/18/2012 3:01:41 AM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:
(voluntarily or for the additional human capital after the student's graduation for x amount of years) are given a tax credit.

I'm slightly confused by this, I think I've misunderstood, but surely companies shouldn't be given subsidies by the government to pay their employees the additional salary that education makes the employee worth? I'm assuming I've misread you, and you're referring to the employer giving the employee a, to simplify matters, yearly "Education Bonus", which is in addition to whatever the employee would receive normally?

This. ^ I don't know why I made this thread even, I'm reading a debate on it right now.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
NixonianVolkswagen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2012 2:36:53 PM
At 7/18/2012 9:42:40 AM, Contra wrote:
At 7/18/2012 3:01:41 AM, NixonianVolkswagen wrote:

This. ^ I don't know why I made this thread even, I'm reading a debate on it right now.

Fair 'nuff. :) I'm tempted to say that education might be something that gets the results we seem to want when run on a not-for-profit basis, or not wholly on a for-profit one.
"There is an almost universal tendency, perhaps an inborn tendency, to suspect the good faith of a man who holds opinions that differ from our own opinions."

- Karl "Spartacus" Popper