US Debt Clock

TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:55:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.usdebtclock.org...

Look at the unfunded liabilities vs total national assets. It's unsustainable! And Congress hasn't passed a budget in what, two years? Three years? Four years?
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

Pro hasn't upheld his BOP. He forfeited last round. I did stuff.
-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 6:01:38 PM
I like usdebtclock.org. It's like watching a train-wreck slowly unfold.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 6:21:07 PM
At 8/15/2012 6:01:38 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
I like usdebtclock.org. It's like watching a train-wreck slowly unfold.

ROFL. Yes, the funny thing is it's absolutely true.
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

That was real intellectual property theft. They used her idea for their own profit and fame. When I pirate, I am usually downloading textbooks that I cannot afford to purchase on my own and that I do not want my parents to spend money on.
-royalpaladin
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 6:28:19 PM
As much as I agree that this is bad, I don't think very many of you have any idea what you're looking at when you see that. It's just big numbers to you and big numbers are bad.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
iEconomics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:06:13 PM
Once we go bankrupt, which we virtually already are, because that simply means lack of an ability to pay your debts, and were not gonna pay back that 16 trillion, Were going to become a footstool economy, were going to lose our reserve currency status, which is the only crutch propping the phony economy up. When this debt explodes, it's going to be worse then the depression, because at least during the depression, the dollar was still on a Gold Standard. Now, it's backed by nothing, which means terrible things when this debt explodes.

Rapid Inflation, Depression Level unemployment if not WORSE. Were going to have a mess on our hands. 2008 won't have anything on this. And were NOT going to cut anything.

Were going to be forced to end our militarial empire of 900 bases around the world.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:38:46 AM
The interest on the debt is 2.621%, and decreasing.
http://www.treasurydirect.gov...

10 years ago the interest was 5.43%.

The total public debt is $15,919,488,010,442.77

Therefore the current interest on the debt is $417,249,780,753.70. If we went back to the interest rate of 2002 it would be $864,428,198,967.04.

With the increase in debt we get an increase in the interest rate. With an increase in the interest rate it makes it harder to balance the budget. Continuous deficits means an increase in debt.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 4:35:34 AM
At 8/15/2012 6:28:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
As much as I agree that this is bad, I don't think very many of you have any idea what you're looking at when you see that. It's just big numbers to you and big numbers are bad.

Personally all I comprehend is that there's more red numbers than green numbers, which looks scary. ;)
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
iEconomics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 6:12:56 AM
At 8/16/2012 12:38:46 AM, DanT wrote:

Therefore the current interest on the debt is $417,249,780,753.70. If we went back to the interest rate of 2002 it would be $864,428,198,967.04.

With the increase in debt we get an increase in the interest rate. With an increase in the interest rate it makes it harder to balance the budget. Continuous deficits means an increase in debt.

Wooooooo. Good research my man. The only reason interest rates are so low is because of the artificial manipulation by the Federal Reserve, if the market set rates... Heck they might be in double digits. But rates are going to rise, and suppose interest rates rose to just 7-9 percent, were talkinga trillion dollar interest payments. You will never see a debt like this again. This is the #1 threat to the country right now, not some foreign standing army. Only solution is to balance the budget now. They don't want to make any cuts & refuse to accept tha twe must live within out means, they think by making cuts people will be hurt, well if we don't, the value of the currency will be nothing, just as it already is.
TheBossToss
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 9:28:02 AM
At 8/15/2012 6:28:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:

No, I think I understand them quite well. What scares me is the unfunded liabilities - there's more money we will have to pay but don't have the mony for than the total amount of assets in the USA, by a total of $28T. That doesn't scare you, being that we will have to inherit this mess?
Cats. I like cats.
-Me

-Wallstreetatheist

-royalpaladin
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:24:34 PM
At 8/16/2012 12:38:46 AM, DanT wrote:

With the increase in debt we get an increase in the interest payments . With an increase in the interest payments it makes it harder to balance the budget. Continuous deficits means an increase in debt.

sorry typo, I meant to say payments not rates. The rate is going down not up.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 4:04:21 PM
I think it's funny how you all care so much about the sustainability of our economic debt but couldn't care less about the sustainability of our physical environment. It's even funnier that they are tied together, yet nobody will acknowledge that.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2012 4:05:41 PM
Although I guess that it's pretty cool that we can actually put a number on our greed. Like, all we have to do is stop spending all this money and live within our means and we'd start repaying it back. But that's just not the American way...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 6:26:47 PM
At 8/15/2012 10:06:13 PM, iEconomics wrote:
Once we go bankrupt, which we virtually already are, because that simply means lack of an ability to pay your debts, and were not gonna pay back that 16 trillion, Were going to become a footstool economy, were going to lose our reserve currency status, which is the only crutch propping the phony economy up. When this debt explodes, it's going to be worse then the depression, because at least during the depression, the dollar was still on a Gold Standard. Now, it's backed by nothing, which means terrible things when this debt explodes.

Rapid Inflation, Depression Level unemployment if not WORSE. Were going to have a mess on our hands. 2008 won't have anything on this. And were NOT going to cut anything.

Were going to be forced to end our militarial empire of 900 bases around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

We could cut military, though other categories are the real problem...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 6:42:37 PM
$15.8 trillion liability --- Social Security
$21 trillion liability ------Prescription Drug Benefit
$83 trillion liability ------Medicare

Come on. If we just killed these programs and privatized them (to be personal responsibilities) you wouldn't have a total liability of $1 million per taxpayer. It's just crazy.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 6:52:39 PM
At 8/23/2012 6:42:37 PM, Contra wrote:

Come on. If we just killed these programs and privatized them (to be personal responsibilities) you wouldn't have a total liability of $1 million per taxpayer. It's just crazy.

Say what!? Since when were you conservative?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 7:39:58 PM
At 8/23/2012 6:42:37 PM, Contra wrote:

Economically conservative I see... Lets work on dem social issues now
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 7:49:10 PM
At 8/18/2012 4:04:21 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I think it's funny how you all care so much about the sustainability of our economic debt but couldn't care less about the sustainability of our physical environment. It's even funnier that they are tied together, yet nobody will acknowledge that.

We can't take care of the environment if we can't pay for the things that we need in order to do it, in addition to taking care of basic governmental needs. Otherwise, I see your point. A ruined climate would be an anti-matter bomb upon the economy.

More on topic: Honestly, spending has gotten out of hand, with both the military and entitlement programs, such as social security. From just a financial point of view, those two things would make the most sense to cut.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:08:10 PM
At 8/23/2012 7:49:10 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

We can't take care of the environment if we can't pay for the things that :we need in order to do it, in addition to taking care of basic governmental :needs. Otherwise, I see your point. A ruined climate would be an anti-:matter bomb upon the economy.
Lol money isn't a real thing.
More on topic: Honestly, spending has gotten out of hand, with both the military and entitlement programs, such as social security. From just a financial point of view, those two things would make the most sense to cut.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:09:00 PM
"Were going to be forced to end our militarial empire of 900 bases around the world."
Cut military spending 90%.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:14:39 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:08:10 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

We can't take care of the environment if we can't pay for the things that we need in order to do it, in addition to taking care of basic governmental needs. Otherwise, I see your point. A ruined climate would be an anti-matter bomb upon the economy.

Unfortunately, the US government only has a finite source of cash to which it can throw at things, even if it's not, ahem, "real." And if we produce too much currency, inflation will kick in and the value of our currency is going to plunge. While it may not be a "real" thing, it most certainly has real effects.

Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:36:25 PM

Instead of just cutting those two areas, you have to cut across the board. Let the personal individual take the responsibility of helping themselves. And there are countless agencies, programs, and boards that could be ended. Just let the free market expand and limit gov't more. For example, unemployment comp. End all federal involvement in it. Let the individual states have their policies (as they already do), and perhaps have people have individual unemployment savings accounts where they have complete control over, or some combination of the sort, with no federal involvement.

Another good idea is to incentivize employers to hire and train the long term unemployed.
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:43:43 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:36:25 PM, Contra wrote:

Instead of just cutting those two areas, you have to cut across the board. Let the personal individual take the responsibility of helping themselves. And there are countless agencies, programs, and boards that could be ended. Just let the free market expand and limit gov't more. For example, unemployment comp. End all federal involvement in it. Let the individual states have their policies (as they already do), and perhaps have people have individual unemployment savings accounts where they have complete control over, or some combination of the sort, with no federal involvement.

Another good idea is to incentivize employers to hire and train the long term unemployed.

WHO HACKED YOUR ACCOUNT!!
Open borders debate:
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:49:35 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:43:43 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Lol.

I actually got the last idea from this guy (http://2.bp.blogspot.com...).

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:49:53 PM

#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:51:29 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:14:39 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Unfortunately, the US government only has a finite source of cash to which it can throw at things, even if it's not, ahem, "real." And if we produce too much currency, inflation will kick in and the value of our currency is going to plunge. While it may not be a "real" thing, it most certainly has real effects.
Currency is just an illusion. In reality, we have enough food to end world hunger.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 8:58:20 PM

1. You have gone to the dark side, Contra. You must pay. *gets out lightsaber*

2. I personally don't think that there is one magic silver bullet that will solve all of our problems. Getting out of this economic mess requires money, which we don't have because we mismanaged out money during the boom times. I personally don't like how our government spends like crazy on entitlement programs and the military. And there are *certain* BS regulations that should be ended. But government pays it's workforce legitimate paychecks, and therefore funds the economy that way. Whether those jobs are used for anything good, I have no idea. (While I'm sorta-on the subject: Patriot Act should go the way of the Stamp Act.)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:01:12 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:49:35 PM, Contra wrote:

Lol.

So this is all been just a troll?
Open borders debate:
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:05:22 PM
At 8/23/2012 8:51:29 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 8/23/2012 8:14:39 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Currency is just an illusion. In reality, we have enough food to end world hunger.

Yes, we do, but what's your point? That piggy capitalistic capitalists horde food for themselves? (Yes, we piggy capitalistic capitalists do, but that's sorta beside the point.) What's your solution? A form of non-monetary socialism? Tell me how that works out.
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2012 9:08:57 PM
At 8/23/2012 9:01:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 8/23/2012 8:49:35 PM, Contra wrote:

Lol.

So this is all been just a troll?

No. I'm serious here.