Posted: 4 years ago
Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Breaking up black families, increasing unemployment, permanent underclass

As Steve Horwitz recently wrote, "The drug laws, minimum wage laws, occupational licensing laws, and a lack of educational choice have done way more damage to African-Americans than the KKK could have ever dreamed of."

Where is you God now, statists?
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 9:52:54 AM
At 9/10/2012 9:52:00 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

As Steve Horwitz recently wrote, "The drug laws, minimum wage laws, occupational licensing laws, and a lack of educational choice have done way more damage to African-Americans than the KKK could have ever dreamed of."

The status quo screws everyone. Race is irrelevent and you are an idiot.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:00:03 AM
I understand the sentiments behind the OP, and in some ways agree, but inferno does have a point. Also dependency on welfare is a personal choice.
President of DDO
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:12:47 AM
At 9/10/2012 10:00:03 AM, Danielle wrote:
I understand the sentiments behind the OP, and in some ways agree, but inferno does have a point. Also dependency on welfare is a personal choice.

Yeah, the speaker addresses that in the video with a reference to a Nordic welfare state. There are some policies which do not give citizens a right to choose: minimum wage, licensing laws, war on drugs, compulsory education.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:18:26 AM
At 9/10/2012 10:12:47 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:

Yeah, the speaker addresses that in the video with a reference to a Nordic welfare state. There are some policies which do not give citizens a right to choose: minimum wage, licensing laws, war on drugs, compulsory education.

Sorry-- I'm at work so can't watch the video now. I agree that those things are bad, but most people wouldn't consider those aspects of the "welfare state" which usually refers specifically to social programs.
President of DDO
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 10:54:34 AM

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

This guy claims the minimum wage discriminates against low skilled laborers because small business can not hire more people. Instead they hire less people at a higher wage. That is an aburd notion to suggest it as a main driver of the lack of success in low income areas.

Education opens opportunity. Eliminating min wage does not. I have spoken to teachers that have left the Dallas school districts due to frustration. I think they graduate little less than 60% of students.

Education in low income areas is in a mess. Some of the problems are cultural (kids who don't want to be there jack it up for the kids who do want to be there.) Some of the problems are financial, funding at a local level, but most of the problem is trying to fit kids in the same hole. We need technical schools begining the 9th and 10th grade.

We need smart testing. Test a teachers class at begining of year and end of year and 40% of next years salary should be based upon their classroom results.

It is also time to make school mandatory until 18. Lastly, get schools for the problem makers and pay a butt load to get teachers to deal with that crap.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2012 6:16:52 PM
Anyone who looks to govt to solve their problems or for anything for that matter will live a life of despair, poverty and unending disappointment. The only thing you can count on govt to do is the wrong thing at an incredible degree of fraud and waste. I look at govt this way and it never disappoints me. Govt does things to you it doesn't help you.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:33:26 AM
At 9/10/2012 10:54:34 AM, slo1 wrote:

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

This guy claims the minimum wage discriminates against low skilled laborers because small business can not hire more people. Instead they hire less people at a higher wage. That is an absurd* notion to suggest it as a main driver of the lack of success in low income areas.

Care to debate that?
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:38:57 AM
At 9/10/2012 6:16:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
Anyone who looks to govt to solve their problems or for anything for that matter will live a life of despair, poverty and unending disappointment.

Yes, just look at the Native American people in reservations that receive more government aid than any other group (minus Goldman Sachs/Monsanto); they are the poorest people in North America with extremely high rates of alcoholism, depression, etc.

The only thing you can count on govt to do is the wrong thing at an incredible degree of fraud and waste.

I think your views on government (economics?) are the only positions with which we are in agreement. Government by its very nature destroys wealth and reduces production.

I look at govt this way and it never disappoints me. Govt does things to you it doesn't help you.

True, instead of learning how to please customers and operate efficiently due to being subjected to a profit/loss test, government violently steals your money, operates inefficiently, and offers you products/services with incomparably worse quality than the private sector does.
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 9:23:44 AM
At 9/11/2012 12:33:26 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/10/2012 10:54:34 AM, slo1 wrote:

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

This guy claims the minimum wage discriminates against low skilled laborers because small business can not hire more people. Instead they hire less people at a higher wage. That is an absurd* notion to suggest it as a main driver of the lack of success in low income areas.

Care to debate that?

That depends. How many factors would I need to prove are bigger contributors to poverty than the min wage?
OllerupMand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2012 12:49:42 PM
I love how he blamed the Swedish wellfare for the high number of children born outside marriage. Though I have to agree that a state fixed minimum wage helps no one.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 3:08:38 PM
At 9/11/2012 1:43:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Yay for minimum wage. We heve very educated unemployed now.

lol, sigged
One_Winged_Rook
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 3:51:50 PM
At 9/10/2012 6:16:52 PM, sadolite wrote:
The only thing you can count on govt to do is the wrong thing at an incredible degree of fraud and waste.

That may be true for OUR government, but is that true for ALL governments? Is that true for all POSSIBLE governments? Is that true for the REALITY of all possible governments?

Should we be angry with government? or just our government?
Three Cheers for a Thousand Years!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 4:00:34 PM

So is dependence on crack, difference is that crack isn't sent out regularly by the government, and there isn't a lot of discussion on how much crack should the government give out and to whom.

Thing about dependence is, once you are, you lost your choice.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 7:29:38 PM
At 9/12/2012 3:08:38 PM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
At 9/11/2012 1:43:02 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Yay for minimum wage. We heve very educated unemployed now.

lol, sigged

Sorry for the typo I have shaky fingers.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 7:32:53 PM

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

You consider me a statist but I agree with you her...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 7:33:15 PM
At 9/12/2012 7:32:53 PM, 16kadams wrote:

Minimum wage
"Welfare"
Handouts
vvvvvvvvvvvv
Dependency
vvvvvvvvvvvv

You consider me a statist but I agree with you here...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2012 7:36:33 PM
with kfc.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc