Jump to topic:

Can Marijuana Help The Economy

pozessed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 8:54:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Marijuana costs no more than a pack of cigarettes to manufacture. A pack of cigarettes weighs about 1oz. 1oz of marijuana costs 80-120 for the lowest grade of quality on the black market.

Hemp is a great natural resource.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:13:29 AM
Compare the gain of taxation/increase in usage to the decrease of productivity.

If there's literally no change in use (or reduction of use) of marijuana if made legal, then legalisation is both equitable and efficient.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/1/2012 11:56:10 AM
not much. marijuana has been around for ages and its not as if economies that had marijuana were these amazing economies compared to non-marijuana economies.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:51:08 AM
At 11/1/2012 11:13:29 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

What decrease in productivity? Don't forget a billion dollars a week on the war on drugs, buddy!

If there's literally no change in use (or reduction of use) of marijuana if made legal, then legalisation is both equitable and efficient.

How do you figure that? What about the burden of extra laws constraining our freedom? Something tells me that you just don't mind seeing something illegal that you don't happen to do...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 12:52:55 AM
At 11/2/2012 12:51:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

What decrease in productivity? Don't forget a billion dollars a week on the war on drugs, buddy!

How do you figure that? What about the burden of extra laws constraining our freedom? Something tells me that you just don't mind seeing something illegal that you don't happen to do...

Also, prices are inflated to account for risk and scarcity.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:01:01 AM
At 11/1/2012 11:56:10 AM, darkkermit wrote:
not much. marijuana has been around for ages and its not as if economies that had marijuana were these amazing economies compared to non-marijuana economies.

That's because you're measuring economically. Economics doesn't take into account
- constraints on personal liberties
- energy independence
- environmental issues
- ethics

Using hemp as opposed to products made from oil has effects that an economist just can't measure. Like how dismantling the DEA would shrink the government, for instance. Or what it means for Johnny, who smokes weed, to NOT be put in jail for it. There are so many things going on here that to simply resort to looking at the economic effects, at least the measurable ones that are going to be immediately predictable, is not going to do your analysis justice.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2012 1:11:10 AM
At 11/2/2012 1:01:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

That's because you're measuring economically. Economics doesn't take into account
- energy independence
- environmental issues
- ethics

Using hemp as opposed to products made from oil has effects that an economist just can't measure. Like how dismantling the DEA would shrink the government, for instance. Or what it means for Johnny, who smokes weed, to NOT be put in jail for it. There are so many things going on here that to simply resort to looking at the economic effects, at least the measurable ones that are going to be immediately predictable, is not going to do your analysis justice.

Besides disagree with a lot with you just said. If the question asks whether marijuana can help the economy, i'm going to base it economically.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 8:24:53 AM
At 11/2/2012 1:11:10 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 11/2/2012 1:01:01 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

- energy independence
- environmental issues
- ethics

Besides disagree with a lot with you just said. If the question asks whether marijuana can help the economy, i'm going to base it economically.

You can "disagree" but your rebuttals won't survive my logical assault. Prohibitionists' logic is always very easy to overcome.

Our standard techniques of economics only take into account short-term profits and don't capture the externalities to the processes that also come to bear on the state of our finances. Why else would our economy continue to worsen as the field of economics progresses over time? By looking at marijuana "economically," you are necessarily ignoring all the afore-mentioned effects. Looking at a problem "economically" means you are simply going to take into account how much money we are going to have over an appropriately SHORT period of time.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2012 7:41:01 PM
It would help the economy in a small way but would damage society in a big way. You ever work beside or with a pot head? Utterly worthless.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Aaronroy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 11:40:15 PM
At 11/5/2012 7:41:01 PM, sadolite wrote:
It would help the economy in a small way but would damage society in a big way. You ever work beside or with a pot head? Utterly worthless.

You mean the pothead you made up in your own mind?
turn down for h'what
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2012 11:59:35 PM
At 11/6/2012 11:40:15 PM, Aaronroy wrote:
At 11/5/2012 7:41:01 PM, sadolite wrote:

You mean the pothead you made up in your own mind?

No, the three guys that work where I work that go get high during breaks and lunch. I avoid them at all costs, they are dangerous to be around in my line of work, and all three have the highest occurrences of injury. We put the pot heads on hand tools, that way they only hurt themselves. I would never have one of them assist me with large moving machinery or any large machine for that matter. Thanks but no thanks.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2012 12:38:14 AM
Sadolite I believe that your concerns would be addressed positively if marijuana were decriminalized. You work in a place where remaining alert and on caution every second of the day is necessary because of large equipment. It's not an ideal atmosphere for someone who gets high.

As it is, smoking weed must be hidden from sight, or else men with guns will lock you up and take away your job, family, etc. so no wonder you end up with people lying about it and landing jobs they probably aren't a good fit for.

I used to work in a call center, sitting on my a55 all day long answering phone calls about cellphone service. They had a urinalysis for that job! If people like you would relax a bit and accept the fact that 10-15% (maybe much more) of the population uses the stuff, then maybe we could find appropriate work for these people - like sitting in cubicles instead of operating forklifts.

You can't stop people from smoking weed and you can't kill everyone who does so why continue with this attitude? Accept it and deal with it in the best way instead of clinging to conservative tradition and hating what you don't understand.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:45:15 PM
At 11/7/2012 12:38:14 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Sadolite I believe that your concerns would be addressed positively if marijuana were decriminalized. You work in a place where remaining alert and on caution every second of the day is necessary because of large equipment. It's not an ideal atmosphere for someone who gets high.

As it is, smoking weed must be hidden from sight, or else men with guns will lock you up and take away your job, family, etc. so no wonder you end up with people lying about it and landing jobs they probably aren't a good fit for.

I used to work in a call center, sitting on my a55 all day long answering phone calls about cellphone service. They had a urinalysis for that job! If people like you would relax a bit and accept the fact that 10-15% (maybe much more) of the population uses the stuff, then maybe we could find appropriate work for these people - like sitting in cubicles instead of operating forklifts.

You can't stop people from smoking weed and you can't kill everyone who does so why continue with this attitude? Accept it and deal with it in the best way instead of clinging to conservative tradition and hating what you don't understand.

Drugs are drugs and people who use them are dangerous to work with. Making drugs legal or illegal doesn't matter. Drug users are drug users and I treat them accordingly, I avoid them at all costs while on the job. All your pie in the sky advice about decriminalization is a bunch of worthless horse sht. "Morality or lack of it dictates the laws."

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:55:12 PM
This country was built on marijuana.

"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!"
~Thomas Jefferson

And despite the conservative myth, they didn't only use it for material.

Jefferson also wrote of separating the female plants from the male plants. That's only necessary if you're going to smoke it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 7:56:04 PM
At 11/8/2012 7:45:15 PM, sadolite wrote:
Drugs are drugs and people who use them are dangerous to work with. Making drugs legal or illegal doesn't matter. Drug users are drug users and I treat them accordingly, I avoid them at all costs while on the job. All your pie in the sky advice about decriminalization is a bunch of worthless horse sht. "Morality or lack of it dictates the laws."

Oh yeah, you must have a hard time with all those coffee drinkers.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:03:00 PM
At 11/8/2012 7:55:12 PM, FREEDO wrote:
This country was built on marijuana.

"Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!"
~Thomas Jefferson

And despite the conservative myth, they didn't only use it for material.

Jefferson also wrote of separating the female plants from the male plants. That's only necessary if you're going to smoke it.

I support legalization, but you know our country was also built by slaves?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2012 8:15:38 PM
At 11/8/2012 8:03:00 PM, 16kadams wrote:
I support legalization, but you know our country was also built by slaves?

Touche.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2012 10:43:30 AM

You're avoiding my point about the call-center. I had no potential to be dangerous sitting in a cubicle.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Relevant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 1:22:03 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this sure is more refreshing than Facebook debates. It's nice to see so many smart people around. Whether I agree or not, I respect those who understand the facts of both sides.

But anyways, I've always been very anti-drug, but I think the economical side would be the one factor that would push me to vote for decriminalizing marijuana. With the money saved in court fees, jail space and everything in between, plus the levies imposed on it, I could really see it being beneficial.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 8:38:33 AM
At 11/10/2012 1:22:03 AM, Relevant wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this sure is more refreshing than Facebook debates. It's nice to see so many smart people around. Whether I agree or not, I respect those who understand the facts of both sides.

But anyways, I've always been very anti-drug, but I think the economical side would be the one factor that would push me to vote for decriminalizing marijuana. With the money saved in court fees, jail space and everything in between, plus the levies imposed on it, I could really see it being beneficial.

Also the DEA makes about $1 Billion per week, and is one of our most corrupt institutions.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 12:13:25 PM
At 11/8/2012 7:56:04 PM, FREEDO wrote:

So am I correct in saying.... That "you" are saying there is no difference between smoking marijuana and drinking coffe and it's effects on motor skills and judgement?

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 12:15:36 PM
At 11/9/2012 10:43:30 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

You're avoiding my point about the call-center. I had no potential to be dangerous sitting in a cubicle.

Um, not everyone sits in front of a computer in a cubical for a living. I'd rather die than be confined to a life like that but that's just me.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 12:23:34 PM
At 11/10/2012 12:13:25 PM, sadolite wrote:

So am I correct in saying.... That "you" are saying there is no difference between smoking marijuana and drinking coffe and it's effects on motor skills and judgement?

They are both drugs and do both affect motor skills, like Nyquil, sleeping pills, booze and muscle relaxants. But only one if the mentioned is a schedule one drug.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 2:06:09 PM
I think there is good argument for legalizing marijuana on libertarian grounds, but the amount of money involved is not much relative to the total economy.

The war on drugs is said to cost $50 billion, and some of that would be saved. However, drug sellers would shift to cocaine, heroin, and other drugs ... and the big cartels would likely move to kidnapping and extortion. Costs of rehab would rise. There would also be some revenue from taxes, but that's not significant compared to any budget.

To get the picture, the Federal budget deficit is about $1.2 trillion per year for the foreseeable future. Taxing the rich as Obama proposes would raise $0.09 trillion, assuming the rich don't use loopholes. Ending the war on drugs and imposing taxes on drugs might raise $0.05 trillion.

This doesn't speak to the libertarian argument. It's just not about economics.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 2:27:49 PM
At 11/10/2012 2:06:09 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
I think there is good argument for legalizing marijuana on libertarian grounds, but the amount of money involved is not much relative to the total economy.

The war on drugs is said to cost $50 billion, and some of that would be saved. However, drug sellers would shift to cocaine, heroin, and other drugs ... and the big cartels would likely move to kidnapping and extortion. Costs of rehab would rise. There would also be some revenue from taxes, but that's not significant compared to any budget.

To get the picture, the Federal budget deficit is about $1.2 trillion per year for the foreseeable future. Taxing the rich as Obama proposes would raise $0.09 trillion, assuming the rich don't use loopholes. Ending the war on drugs and imposing taxes on drugs might raise $0.05 trillion.

That is real money, 50 billion is no number to scoff at.

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 4:29:10 PM

I certainly wouldn't say that! Coffee makes me much more anxious and jittery than weed. I can handle weed but every time I drink coffee I end up cursing myself for it because the effects last much longer and it's difficult for me to deal with.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2012 4:33:35 PM
At 11/10/2012 12:15:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

Um, not everyone sits in front of a computer in a cubical for a living. I'd rather die than be confined to a life like that but that's just me.

For a stone-cold sober individual you sure are having trouble focusing on my point, so I'll spell it out for you one last time. Why is it wrong for someone who works in a call-center to get high if they aren't operating heavy equipment? Let's even assume they took the bus to work. Is it or is it not possible for someone to enjoy marijuana safely?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2012 9:23:03 AM
At 11/10/2012 4:33:35 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 11/10/2012 12:15:36 PM, sadolite wrote:

For a stone-cold sober individual you sure are having trouble focusing on my point, so I'll spell it out for you one last time. Why is it wrong for someone who works in a call-center to get high if they aren't operating heavy equipment? Let's even assume they took the bus to work. Is it or is it not possible for someone to enjoy marijuana safely?

Haven't you ever seen reefer madness? Anyone who smokes a single joint turns into a crazed monster. Duh.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 3:12:19 PM
At 11/2/2012 12:51:08 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Honestly, these kinds of comments are just stupid. I am FOR legalisation of Marijuana, any check on my profile will see this. But this is an ECONOMICS question (albeit normative economics), so your argument is pretty much idiotic from start to finish, mostly because none of it is relevant to the comment I made.

Take the first one: Are you seriously going to contend that someone high on marijuana is equal in production as someone not high? Something tells me that you're unwilling to look at something's pros and cons before coming to a conclusion.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/13/2012 4:09:35 PM
At 11/10/2012 12:23:34 PM, lewis20 wrote:

They are both drugs and do both affect motor skills, like Nyquil, sleeping pills, booze and muscle relaxants. But only one if the mentioned is a schedule one drug.

Got it, a person who drinks coffe is just as dangerous as a person who is smoking pot while operating large dangerous machinery. Thanks for clearing that up for me. You are right, I am wrong. My worries about working and operating machinery around stoned people is unfounded.