Power to crash an online economy

Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:06:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I play an MMORPG game.

The average person in this world has about 5 million gold. The game can't be hacked. I had played this game for three years, took a break, and long story short my investments came back crazy high. There is a market place where players can buy and sell products. I got online today to see my accidental investment turned into 20 billion gold, lol.

ECONOMEMY CRASH HERE WE GO!!!!!
kfc
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:08:13 PM
Is it Runescape?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:10:33 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:08:13 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Is it Runescape?

lol, no. It's a more private game. About 2000 players.
kfc
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:12:22 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:10:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 11/19/2012 9:08:13 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Is it Runescape?

lol, no. It's a more private game. About 2000 players.

Whats it called? Cause, I would be willing to join, then we can wreck the game by inflating and deflating the price of stuff, depending on how the economy works. I used to be in a clan that did that in RS, so much so that the leaders got banned cause they could literally make any item in the Grand Exchange(the Wall-street of the game) any price they wanted.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:17:38 PM
you know how the game is programmed? Do goods and services change price based on increasing demand, or does the game just set a price which doesn't change regardless of demand? Are there financial derivatives?

How exactly do you plan on crashing the economy. I'm curious
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:22:11 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:17:38 PM, darkkermit wrote:
you know how the game is programmed? Do goods and services change price based on increasing demand, or does the game just set a price which doesn't change regardless of demand? Are there financial derivatives?

Well, it generally doesn't work in MMORPG's because the makers can simple "fix" the economy, or eliminate the extra money or such.

Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:23:29 PM
It's a "private game" that can't be hacked. That would be Solitaire on the living-room floor. I smell Bullsh*t.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:25:22 PM

I'm not really going to destroy the economy, however, taking a second look it seems like the game has already done it itself. Prices are crazy high nowadays.

The game over inflated itself, I have no clue what the average person has now. Judging from the item prices, I still have a decent amount of money, at least enough to cause a good chunk of inflation. There are NPCs that sell things at a set price, however players can sell anything at any price.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:26:45 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:23:29 PM, Heineken wrote:
It's a "private game" that can't be hacked. That would be Solitaire on the living-room floor. I smell Bullsh*t.

I am saying a more private game as in not everyone in the world has heard of it. In other words, it's no world of warcraft.

I tried hacking it hundreds of times and was always shut out.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:28:41 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:27:31 PM, Heineken wrote:
Koopin....are you telling us that you're Hacker?

Anyone can use an easy code to hack noob programs. But I am no computer master.
kfc
Heineken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:28:45 PM
Nevermind, I don't have the energy to troll this thread....I need some sleep.
Vidi, vici, veni.
(I saw, I conquered, I came.)
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:34:47 PM
What is this game called.....?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:35:00 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:25:22 PM, Koopin wrote:

I'm not really going to destroy the economy, however, taking a second look it seems like the game has already done it itself. Prices are crazy high nowadays.

The game over inflated itself, I have no clue what the average person has now. Judging from the item prices, I still have a decent amount of money, at least enough to cause a good chunk of inflation. There are NPCs that sell things at a set price, however players can sell anything at any price.

you think its possible you might not be as rich as you thought and everyone has a lot of money.
Open borders debate:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 9:56:05 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:34:47 PM, OberHerr wrote:

I will PM you. I'd rather not mix up my habits with DDO.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 10:06:55 PM
At 11/19/2012 9:35:00 PM, darkkermit wrote:

you think its possible you might not be as rich as you thought and everyone has a lot of money.

Yeah, that is what i was saying. I still am still "upper upper class" however inflation has gotten outta hand. I actually lost a big investment off an item now that I look at it. Bought 250 items worth 1,000,000. Now they are going for 350,000 K

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!
kfc
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 11:16:56 PM
At 11/19/2012 10:06:55 PM, Koopin wrote:

Yeah, that is what i was saying. I still am still "upper upper class" however inflation has gotten outta hand. I actually lost a big investment off an item now that I look at it. Bought 250 items worth 1,000,000. Now they are going for 350,000 K

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!

The amount of gold in the world increases because killing monsters or whatnot gives it for free?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 11:30:52 PM
At 11/19/2012 11:16:56 PM, MouthWash wrote:

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!

The amount of gold in the world increases because killing monsters or whatnot gives it for free?

Knowing from experience in other games, that's not really a very large contributing factor (although it does contribute a modest amount). Moreso, gold is just transferred from individuals to individuals, thus making it a zero sum game.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 11:32:01 PM
At 11/19/2012 11:30:52 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!

Knowing from experience in other games, that's not really a very large contributing factor (although it does contribute a modest amount). Moreso, gold is just transferred from individuals to individuals, thus making it a zero sum game.

Never mind, I'm wrong. If that were true, then inflation wouldn't be able to happen.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2012 11:38:24 PM

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!

Its a small game, so perhaps the programmer fvcked up. Apparently for some larger online games, they actually have to hire economist to keep stuff like inflation and recessions in check.
Open borders debate:
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 1:19:53 AM
At 11/19/2012 11:32:01 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

EAT POOP BEN BERNANKE!

Never mind, I'm wrong. If that were true, then inflation wouldn't be able to happen.

not if velocity of money is increasing, or gross domestic production decreases.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 3:00:53 AM
At 11/19/2012 9:06:40 PM, Koopin wrote:
I play an MMORPG game.

The average person in this world has about 5 million gold. The game can't be hacked. I had played this game for three years, took a break, and long story short my investments came back crazy high. There is a market place where players can buy and sell products. I got online today to see my accidental investment turned into 20 billion gold, lol.

ECONOMEMY CRASH HERE WE GO!!!!!

My economy game in the forums is in ruins. I'll give you chickens if you join it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2012 4:16:33 PM
@Koopin

Could you Bankrupt the NPC's? If so, then that would be what you need to do to crash the game.

EDIT: I meant to say online economy.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 5:00:40 PM

This.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 5:51:45 PM
At 11/21/2012 5:00:40 PM, 16kadams wrote:

This.

I could message you if you want to play. But it's a big download.
kfc
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 6:10:25 PM
At 11/21/2012 5:51:45 PM, Koopin wrote:

This.

How big?
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2012 10:51:41 PM
At 11/21/2012 6:10:25 PM, 16kadams wrote:

This.

How big?

I don't know, two gigs maybe? The download isn't to bad, but the updating is what takes a few hours.
kfc
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2012 5:50:49 AM
At 11/21/2012 10:51:41 PM, Koopin wrote:

This.

How big?

I don't know, two gigs maybe? The download isn't to bad, but the updating is what takes a few hours.

That doesn't seem too bad. Hit me with your PM.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2012 3:28:44 PM

This.

How big?

PM me.
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:47:29 PM
At 11/22/2012 5:50:49 AM, bossyburrito wrote:

This.

How big?

That doesn't seem too bad. Hit me with your PM.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush