Jump to topic:

The next economic Bubble

MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 9:42:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What happens, precisely, when the bubble bursts (for someone ignorant of the subject)?

And what could this mean for me if I plan on going to college?
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2012 9:55:13 AM
No.

Reasons:

Unlike in the housing bubble, there's no "greater fool" to pass the bill over to. One of the theories on bubble formation requires a greater fool, but there's none in the case of education.

This person is pretty smart when it comes to finance and economics. He predicted the housing bubble, but doesn't believe in an education bubble.
http://www.halfsigma.com...

Also those with a bachelors degree earn significantly more the high school graduates:

http://wac.0873.edgecastcdn.net...

Default on student loans is also at an all time low:

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com...
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 2:46:50 PM
No, the next bubble will be the NEW DOT COM ERA after the sun shites on our electronics in November.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 6:20:09 PM
I believe those who finish in the top 5% of there class should get a free 4 year schalarship to any school of their choice.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 6:42:23 PM
At 11/29/2012 6:20:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I believe those who finish in the top 5% of there class should get a free 4 year schalarship to any school of their choice.

if 95% of your school is full of complete morons though then the other 5% isnt really 'smart' they just arent idiots.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ax123man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 8:48:23 PM
disagree. Education grows as government grows - slow but sure.

One possible exception could happen: people wake up and figure out that it's really accreditation that is valuable. Education is separate and less valuable because it can be effectively delivered to mass audiences over the net. In many cases people can educate themselves, depending on the subject.

Next bubble: bonds. Interest rates can't stay low forever (can they?)
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:39:37 PM
At 11/29/2012 6:42:23 PM, imabench wrote:
At 11/29/2012 6:20:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:

if 95% of your school is full of complete morons though then the other 5% isnt really 'smart' they just arent idiots.

Ya there's a pretty huge discrepancy between schools and different distributions within the schools.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2012 9:42:27 PM
I have wondered if there were a way to bet against a sort of education bubble though.
There's no denying a majority of degrees going out today aren't the costs. However the debt burden of the degrees will forever and always fall on the debt holder so I'm not sure who you'd bet on.

Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:01:25 AM
At 11/29/2012 6:04:19 PM, FREEDO wrote:
Gold.

Frankincense resin is also a bubble.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Wallstreetatheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 2:02:58 AM
At 11/29/2012 8:48:23 PM, ax123man wrote:

If you're talking about government bonds... MMT Economists think so, but most everyone else disagrees.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 9:24:15 AM

One possible exception could happen: people wake up and figure out that it's really accreditation that is valuable. Education is separate and less valuable because it can be effectively delivered to mass audiences over the net. In many cases people can educate themselves, depending on the subject.

Yes, I agree with the bonds.

They can have low interest forever, but that would lead to hyperinflation.
Open borders debate:
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:55:06 AM
It's not like the governement is making a profit off of student loans.

The government has worse things to worry about than a decline in college loans.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:04:59 PM
Gold.

Gold will likely decrease in value when the economy fully turns around. Gold appears to be a counter-cyclical investment. But I don't think it really qualifies as an investment.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:34:22 PM
I don't think education loans is really a bubble. I don't think gold is really a bubble per say but people find it valuable in uncertain times (like now). Yet, if the economy picks up gold should decrease.

The most likely new bubble is new technology stocks. It seems every time a new technology comes up, there is a bubble as in the radio stocks of the 1920s, internet stocks of the 90s and recently facebook.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 1:35:42 PM
At 11/30/2012 9:24:15 AM, darkkermit wrote:

Yes, I agree with the bonds.

I am curious, how does low interest rates lead to hyperinflation? I was under the impression that high interest rates lead to hyper inflation.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:07:05 PM
At 11/29/2012 2:46:50 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
No, the next bubble will be the NEW DOT COM ERA after the sun shites on our electronics in November.

?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 10:07:32 PM
Gold.

^
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ax123man
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2012 11:04:24 PM

I am curious, how does low interest rates lead to hyperinflation? I was under the impression that high interest rates lead to hyper inflation.

Money printing both lowers interest rates and causes inflation. I suppose low interest also increases the velocity of money too:

MV = PQ

How would high interest cause hyperinflation?
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 8:02:57 AM
At 11/30/2012 11:04:24 PM, ax123man wrote:

Money printing both lowers interest rates and causes inflation. I suppose low interest also increases the velocity of money too:

MV = PQ

Okay cool. I think I misunderstood. I was thinking that the interest rate is related to inflation, so if there is low inflation there will low interest rates. And high inflation, high interest rates.

However, right now both inflation and interest rates are low, so I do not think hyperinflation is a worry.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 9:59:23 AM
At 12/1/2012 8:02:57 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 11/30/2012 11:04:24 PM, ax123man wrote:

MV = PQ

Okay cool. I think I misunderstood. I was thinking that the interest rate is related to inflation, so if there is low inflation there will low interest rates. And high inflation, high interest rates.

However, right now both inflation and interest rates are low, so I do not think hyperinflation is a worry.

Artificially low interest rates lead to inflation, not necessarily just low interest rates.
Right now real inflation is higher than the 3 percent the cpi claims , closer to 8 percent.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 2:57:52 PM
At 12/1/2012 11:45:00 AM, twocupcakes wrote:
What measure of inflation you using, I always thought CPI overstates inflation as it does not account for substitute goods?

CPI understates inflation which favors the govt. CPI includes big ticket items like cars and houses but doesn't include everyday items like gas and groceries. I don't remember the specifics

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 4:57:08 PM
At 12/1/2012 2:57:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:
What measure of inflation you using, I always thought CPI overstates inflation as it does not account for substitute goods?

CPI understates inflation which favors the govt. CPI includes big ticket items like cars and houses but doesn't include everyday items like gas and groceries. I don't remember the specifics

FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals, snacks)
HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)
APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)
TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)
MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)
RECREATION (televisions, toys, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

http://www.bls.gov...

The CPI does include groceries and gasoline.In fact many say the CPI overstates purchasing power because it does not include substitute goods. So, if apple juice goes up and orange juice does not, in actuality people will substitute orange juice instead and spend less.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:17:32 PM
At 12/1/2012 4:57:08 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
At 12/1/2012 2:57:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:

FOOD AND BEVERAGES (breakfast cereal, milk, coffee, chicken, wine, full service meals, snacks)
HOUSING (rent of primary residence, owners' equivalent rent, fuel oil, bedroom furniture)
APPAREL (men's shirts and sweaters, women's dresses, jewelry)
TRANSPORTATION (new vehicles, airline fares, gasoline, motor vehicle insurance)
MEDICAL CARE (prescription drugs and medical supplies, physicians' services, eyeglasses and eye care, hospital services)
RECREATION (televisions, toys, pets and pet products, sports equipment, admissions);
EDUCATION AND COMMUNICATION (college tuition, postage, telephone services, computer software and accessories);
OTHER GOODS AND SERVICES (tobacco and smoking products, haircuts and other personal services, funeral expenses).

http://www.bls.gov...

The CPI does include groceries and gasoline.In fact many say the CPI overstates purchasing power because it does not include substitute goods. So, if apple juice goes up and orange juice does not, in actuality people will substitute orange juice instead and spend less.

It was core CPI that didn't include food and energy.
Where do you get this overstating purchasing power because of substitute goods? Substituting goods isn't going to affect CPI unless it's a move from an item on the list to an item not on the list, or vice versa. If that's the case the consumer migration would lessen the demand and therefore the price.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 5:35:28 PM
Its an argument I have heard. The CPI weights all goods equally, yet in real life consumers increase the weight of the cheapest goods and decrease the most expensive goods. So, if for example, if peas go up 10% and corn 2%, the CPI could calculate a 6% increase in goods(equally weighted). Yet, it is likely consumers would decrease the amount of corn and get more peas so consumers may actually only pay say 4% more, when CPI calculates 6%.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 6:43:50 PM
At 12/1/2012 5:35:28 PM, twocupcakes wrote:
Its an argument I have heard. The CPI weights all goods equally, yet in real life consumers increase the weight of the cheapest goods and decrease the most expensive goods. So, if for example, if peas go up 10% and corn 2%, the CPI could calculate a 6% increase in goods(equally weighted). Yet, it is likely consumers would decrease the amount of corn and get more peas so consumers may actually only pay say 4% more, when CPI calculates 6%.

If consumers moved from peas to corn then demand for corn would go up and the demand for peas would go down, raising the price of corn and decreasing the price of peas.

twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2012 7:11:18 PM
That might affect it a bit, but the argument still stands. Is it your contention that the prices of substitute goods change the same?