Jump to topic:

Walmart

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 1:12:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It used to be, as goes GM, so goes America. Now, it's Walmart.

I'd rather see The USA in my Chevrolet, but I don't get to make these decisions.

Half of the retail spending that is done in America is done in the months of November and December. Walmart is gonna be in the news for a while. Don't worry. You'll forget about the Waltons soon enough...
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 7:55:27 PM
Most Americans like having cheap stuff, else Walmart wouldn't be where it is today.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 7:58:23 PM
The effect on the economy is a net pro, like a lot of things some people might not like it at the time but in the end a multinational corporation finding a way to give consumers the lowest possible price in a one stop shop is progress as a whole.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 9:29:01 PM
Walmart has been bribing politicians in India to let them establish stores here. Suffice to say, most of the public is very upset about this.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 10:16:32 PM
At 1/2/2013 7:58:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:
The effect on the economy is a net pro, like a lot of things some people might not like it at the time but in the end a multinational corporation finding a way to give consumers the lowest possible price in a one stop shop is progress as a whole.

No, it's not.

Destroying entire, culturally rich downtown areas in small to mid-sized cities by loss leading on the products that the stores in those downtown areas sell, and then providing jobs that pay 1/2 to 1/4 of what the former jobs paid so that people in the area can save 10% on their Pokemon cards and Rubbermaid containers, and funneling the profits out of the community and into the pockets of Walmart shareholders is not progress. It is regress, through congress (and, by congress, I mean getting f*cked).

In an unregulated market, the end result will always be monopoly, and Walmart is on its way to a retail monopoly.

I don't care, personally, but to call it progress is to only measure the output of an economy in total monetary output, and an economy is much more than that.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:32:21 PM
At 1/2/2013 10:16:32 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
Destroying entire, culturally rich downtown areas in small to mid-sized cities by loss leading on the products that the stores in those downtown areas sell, and then providing jobs that pay 1/2 to 1/4 of what the former jobs paid so that people in the area can save 10% on their Pokemon cards and Rubbermaid containers, and funneling the profits out of the community and into the pockets of Walmart shareholders is not progress. It is regress, through congress (and, by congress, I mean getting f*cked).

funneling profits into the pockets of Walmart shareholders is absolutely progress. By that logic the stockmarket shouldn't exist because it only serves the interest of the stockholders and the companies. Anyone and everyone can own Walmart stock and it's in many peoples financial portfolios.
It's progress, it's democracy, it's people voting with their feet. Sure we lose our small shops but the people voted and that's want, they want, to save 10% on everything they buy. Walmart got where it is today giving people the same product at a lower price than the competitors could.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:33:52 PM
In an unregulated market, the end result will always be monopoly, and Walmart is on its way to a retail monopoly.

That's simply not true, there is no possible way for a retailer like walmart to gain a monopoly on buying and selling goods.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2013 11:40:25 PM
At 1/2/2013 9:29:01 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Walmart has been bribing politicians in India to let them establish stores here. Suffice to say, most of the public is very upset about this.

They do the same in Mexico.
Why should politicians block walmart from coming in? If the people truly don't want it they won't shop there and the store will be forced to close.
Or is it that 51% can vote a politician in and block Walmart, while 49% is enough of the voting populace to keep a walmart store running.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 10:54:24 AM
At 1/2/2013 11:32:21 PM, lewis20 wrote:

funneling profits into the pockets of Walmart shareholders is absolutely progress. By that logic the stockmarket shouldn't exist because it only serves the interest of the stockholders and the companies. Anyone and everyone can own Walmart stock and it's in many peoples financial portfolios.
It's progress, it's democracy, it's people voting with their feet. Sure we lose our small shops but the people voted and that's want, they want, to save 10% on everything they buy. Walmart got where it is today giving people the same product at a lower price than the competitors could.

Yes, the stock market shouldn't exist. Or, it shouldn't exist as it does now, because corporations are supposed to be temporary. They were meant to come in, complete a project, and then dissolve themselves once their acceptable profit margin was realized.

And this whole idea of voting with one's wallet being a good thing - where does this come from?

Democracy? We don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Unless you don't think America is a good country in any way other than its recent, rampant consumerism...is that what you think?

Did you know that the gas powered internal combustion engine only reached complete dominance after the government started supporting it? It wasn't through a wallet vote.

Th FDA will deny a small, up and coming drug company from bringing a drug to market if it replaces one of the larger drug company's cash cows, because the large drug companies fund the FDA's approval process, and they know the money spigot will get shut off if they give one of these sacred cows to an upstart competitor.

The Better Business Bureau (National version, not the lady at the Chamber of Commerce meetings in the tight business suit that shows off her fake cleavage) runs congress, and since most law (by FAR) in this country is regulatory law, that means that all our choices re: consumer products, were made for us long before they got on Walmart's shelves, and long before Walmart's racketeering business tactics put them there at a discount that would make idiots like you blind yourself to all the harm they do to an economy just so you can buy your Hershey bar at a $.05 discount.

People like you cut off your nose to spite your face and then wonder why you're so ugly.

It's because you're short-sighted, arrogant and stupid.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 11:09:16 AM
At 1/2/2013 11:33:52 PM, lewis20 wrote:

That's simply not true, there is no possible way for a retailer like walmart to gain a monopoly on buying and selling goods.

Wanna bet? What would you call a company that owns 25% of the grocery market, 40% of the retail goods market (and a share of the entertainment media market so high that it warrants its own Walmartized version of records, movies and video games deemed to be too risque for the chain - choices limited...not able to vote with wallet).

They had record growth in EPS this year. Know how they did it? They're so big that if any of their suppliers want to survive, they have to meet Walmart's ransom like demands for ever-lower priced products.

They're not going after Dollar Stores. Have you ever bought anything in a dollar store that shouldn't cost a dollar anyway?

I did once...sand paper - a ton of it for a dollar. Great deal, right? Yeah...not so much.

Cheap cr@p is better, I suppose, than expensive cr@p, but in the end, it's all cr@p. What would be better would be if the world didn't have to deal with Walmart's sh!t, but @ssholes like you keep pushing without looking where this is going, and so we're forced to have this waste rained down upon us all.

Thanks a lot, sh!thead.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:19:40 PM
Ha don't complain about me or Walmart, complain about the consumers insatiable demand for cheap crap. Also 40% isn't a monopoly, not even close. If Walmart didn't exist then target would be 40% if not them then Kmart. Cap every companies markets share at 25% and you'll have 4 different Walmarts with different names.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:27:22 PM
At 1/3/2013 10:54:24 AM, malcolmxy wrote:
Democracy? We don't live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Unless you don't think America is a good country in any way other than its recent, rampant consumerism...is that what you think?

We live in Republic in name only, the Constitution has been null and void for the past century and America's only rule of law is that which is decided by the majority ruling party.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:29:44 PM
And this whole idea of voting with one's wallet being a good thing - where does this come from?

This little thing called free markets and freedom of association.

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:34:28 PM

Do you know how much money Walmart gets from governments to build stores?

Walmart gets a lot of money to build stores from the governments where they operate. Don't tell me that the free market is responsible, because it isn't.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:53:59 PM
At 1/2/2013 7:58:23 PM, lewis20 wrote:

No, it's not.

Woah woah woah..... There have been three monopolies established by the free market, of which only one is still active (De Beers, Imperial Oil, Standard Oil). Compare that to the hundreds that have been established via State lobbying and political favours.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 1:55:04 PM
Yes, the stock market shouldn't exist. Or, it shouldn't exist as it does now, because corporations are supposed to be temporary. They were meant to come in, complete a project, and then dissolve themselves once their acceptable profit margin was realized.

Da fuq?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:49:36 PM
At 1/3/2013 1:19:40 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Also 40% isn't a monopoly, not even close.

Monopoly
Definition of Monopoly:

A pure Monopoly is defined as a single seller of a product. i.e. 100% of market share.
In the UK a firm is said to have monopoly power if it has more than 25% of the market share. For example, Tesco @30% market share or Google 90% of search engine traffic.

Oh. You sound pretty confident, so you must be right. Forget I said anything.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 3:51:22 PM
At 1/3/2013 1:55:04 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Da fuq?

Look it up - "origins of corporations in america" in a google search will, I'm sure, point you to the information in which you are currently deficient.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 4:28:35 PM
At 1/3/2013 3:51:22 PM, malcolmxy wrote:

Da fuq?

Look it up - "origins of corporations in america" in a google search will, I'm sure, point you to the information in which you are currently deficient.

How about you grace us with a reliable source on the subject.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:41:42 PM
At 1/2/2013 11:40:25 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Why should politicians block walmart from coming in?
Because they want to construct the store on land that belongs to the public. It's not privately owned land, and should not be sold without the permission of the people. In addition, the people have the right to determine whether or not they want to extend protections to an outside organization that is invading their territory.
If the people truly don't want it they won't shop there and the store will be forced to close.
Or is it that 51% can vote a politician in and block Walmart, while 49% is enough of the voting populace to keep a walmart store running.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 6:45:16 PM
At 1/3/2013 6:41:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Because they want to construct the store on land that belongs to the public. It's not privately owned land, and should not be sold without the permission of the people. In addition, the people have the right to determine whether or not they want to extend protections to an outside organization that is invading their territory.

are they bribing crony politicians for public land or bribing politicians not to block them from buying private land? I assume most land in Mexico is privately held.

malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 10:58:45 PM
At 1/3/2013 4:28:35 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I just did - google plus your own brain. teach a man to fish and all that.

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/3/2013 11:11:40 PM
At 1/3/2013 10:58:45 PM, malcolmxy wrote:
At 1/3/2013 4:28:35 PM, lewis20 wrote:

I just did - google plus your own brain. teach a man to fish and all that.

As you've so elegantly pointed out I'm pretty stupid, so why don't you humor me and give a link to a reliable source.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:18:39 AM

Da fuq?

Assuming that you are correct, which you aren't since you've never given anybody an actual source, that doesn't justify it being so in the present day. This is a classic double fallacy: appeal to tradition (corporations used to be x and therefore they should be x today) and is/ought (corporations were x, therefore they should be x).
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:20:07 AM
At 1/3/2013 6:41:42 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Under the very same democratic paradigm, if the politicians say that it's ok for Walmart to be there then it's the will of the people since they elected them.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:20:34 AM
At 1/3/2013 1:53:59 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Woah woah woah..... There have been three monopolies established by the free market, of which only one is still active (De Beers, Imperial Oil, Standard Oil). Compare that to the hundreds that have been established via State lobbying and political favours.

Nothing? Pity.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:24:55 AM
Isn't it interesting that the market works in a way that what we "want" becomes actually what we don't want? We want lots of products for little cost, so voila - Walmart. Mcdonalds. Small businesses can't compete, our health is at risk, our jobs suck, our material goods are made poorly, our environment is being damaged, and to top it all off, our culture is becoming twisted by new technologies which, much more than they make our lives easier, make our lives so much more incredibly difficult. Ever since I ditched my cell phone I've noticed I have SO many less problems than other people, for instance. And every day I hear at least one commercial about how some new company has a new service that expedites some little feature of our lives, and how backwards everyone is that doesn't have it. And I think to myself wow, people just eat this sh!t up, don't they... we have a society of people who are drawn inexorably toward this technological flame like moths, with no concept of even questioning whether any new path that's being blazed by this technological boom is really as good as the commercial advertisements say.
our economy is a runaway train.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2013 12:50:38 AM
At 1/4/2013 12:18:39 AM, Lordknukle wrote:

Da fuq?

Assuming that you are correct, which you aren't since you've never given anybody an actual source, that doesn't justify it being so in the present day. This is a classic double fallacy: appeal to tradition (corporations used to be x and therefore they should be x today) and is/ought (corporations were x, therefore they should be x).

Choosing to give or not give a source has no correlative relationship to the correctness of my claims. It does, however, have one with my stubbornness. I made a claim. If you feel it is fallacious, disprove it.

I think you'll find, through the course of your efforts, that I am quite correct. It's not my job to educate the world. I simply speak the truth. If that is something you are not prepared to hear, I cannot change that. Only you can.