Krugman - The US Worse than Japan Ever Was

wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2013 9:55:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.bloomberg.com...

I don't know what Krugman's position is anymore. I thought he was bought and paid for by the Democrats...now he seems to be saying that it doesn't matter, my name is Nouriel Roubini.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
MichaelGonzales
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 8:47:42 PM
Speaking of the Illuminati...Does anyone think that the New World Order is just a conspiracy theory created by the Old World Order to distract us as they assert their dominance?
BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 9:11:33 PM
At 2/22/2013 8:41:28 PM, MichaelGonzales wrote:
Considering all he's done is criticize Obama's lack of a Keynsian policy, I tend to doubt he was bought and paid for by Democrats.

What Krugman did is this: He said that stimulus is good but the stimulus was too small.

This way, he could claim he was right no matter what happened. And, guess what, he has.

Krugman really has not been a good predictor of economic events... Because he is using outdated Keynesian models.

But, he is very good at repeating the myth that his bad predictions have been correct by both distorting his predictions, making predictions that could be easily distorted to seem more right, and distorting current events. Also, you can add in strawmanning his opponent's predictions (on interest rates for instance)... or claiming that because some of his opponents made a given prediction all of them did.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2013 9:25:03 PM
At 2/22/2013 8:46:11 PM, darkkermit wrote:
what r u talking about, he's paid by the illuminati, not the Democratic party. Silly goose.

Making predictions be easy bro.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 12:46:25 AM
Ya I don't know what more Krugman wants, the fed is doing everything it can, monetary policy is running huge deficits. Does he really think if we doubled the stimulus we'd be in better shape today than we are?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 1:58:58 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:34:15 AM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
Krugman is proof that you can be functionally retarded and still be published in the New York times.

yah, call me when you've won a Nobel Prize. You can disagree with him all you want, but the man is anything but "functionally retarded". Sleazy, hackish, and even outright wrong maybe but hes anything but an idiot
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 2:58:47 PM
At 2/23/2013 1:58:58 PM, thett3 wrote:
Krugman is proof that you can be functionally retarded and still be published in the New York times.

yah, call me when you've won a Nobel Prize. You can disagree with him all you want, but the man is anything but "functionally retarded". Sleazy, hackish, and even outright wrong maybe but hes anything but an idiot

Outright wrong and dishonest are two words that are accurate to describe Krugman.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 5:55:49 PM
sure, he may have won the noble prize, but he also called for a space alien invasion to save the u.s. economy. besides, the noble prize lost all relevance when henry kissinger won the peace prize.

which raises the question : exactly how many millions of innocent civilians do you need to slaughter to win one of these prizes these days anyway?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 8:59:02 PM
At 2/23/2013 5:55:49 PM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
sure, he may have won the noble prize, but he also called for a space alien invasion to save the u.s. economy. besides, the noble prize lost all relevance when henry kissinger won the peace prize.

which raises the question : exactly how many millions of innocent civilians do you need to slaughter to win one of these prizes these days anyway?

Nobel Prize in Economics =/= Nobel Peace Prize
malcolmxy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:40:22 PM
At 2/23/2013 5:55:49 PM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:

Kissinger stopped Nixon from dropping the bomb on Vietnam. I heard the tape...he almost literally "took the button out of his hand". He's kinda worthy of the prize he got for that alone.
War is over, if you want it.

Meet Dr. Stupid and his assistants - http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:48:26 PM
How about Barack Obama winning the peace prize before doing anything?

BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:56:20 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:48:26 PM, lewis20 wrote:
How about Barack Obama winning the peace prize before doing anything?

He jacked off in the white house before he got the prize.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 9:58:06 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:03:58 PM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
brilliant insight. is it state the obvious day or something?

I heard blue is not red. stop the presses.

Ok, so how does discrediting one prize mean that the other prize is useless? You should think about the full implications of your concessions before you make them.
BigRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2013 10:02:28 PM
At 2/23/2013 9:58:06 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Ok, so how does discrediting one prize mean that the other prize is useless? You should think about the full implications of your concessions before you make them.

The fact that Stiglitz got a prize should discredit that one. Have you read anything this guy writes?

He is the definition of pseudoeconomist.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 5:43:15 AM
Krugman, like most modern economists (and most people on this forum) is nothing but an apologist for state power. Intellectuals are the intellectual bodyguards of the state - they provide the moral legitimacy for this obvious evil.
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 8:56:48 AM
At 2/23/2013 10:02:28 PM, BigRat wrote:
At 2/23/2013 9:58:06 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

The fact that Stiglitz got a prize should discredit that one. Have you read anything this guy writes?

He is the definition of pseudoeconomist.

Nobel-laureate Myron Scholes was a key advisor/partner for Long Term Capital Management, one of the most spectacular private examples of a model that does not work.
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
wrichcirw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 9:24:17 AM
At 2/24/2013 5:43:15 AM, ZakYoungTheLibertarian wrote:
Krugman, like most modern economists (and most people on this forum) is nothing but an apologist for state power. Intellectuals are the intellectual bodyguards of the state - they provide the moral legitimacy for this obvious evil.

IMHO this is true to a large extent.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 10:39:47 AM

Yeah, because you know more about economics than a Economics Nobel Prize winner and professor of Princeton.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 11:30:46 AM
Most people subscribe to the whig theory of history, that history is simply a never ending progress onwards and upwards towards the light. This is not so. Instead of things always getting better, sometimes they get worse. This is very true of the science of economics (which is more properly thought of as a subset of the science of praxeology).

Just because someone won the nobel prize, doesn't mean they're write. After all, Hayek also won the nobel prize, and he would have strenuously disagreed with Krugman about everything. Same with Milton Friedman.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:08:08 PM
At 2/24/2013 10:39:47 AM, twocupcakes wrote:

Yeah, because you know more about economics than a Economics Nobel Prize winner and professor of Princeton.

Krugman got his prize "for his analysis of trade patterns and location of economic activity" Hayek and Friedman are also Nobel Prize laureates, but I suspect you would mind the appeal to authority if someone used that logic against you.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:09:28 PM
At 2/24/2013 1:08:08 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Krugman got his prize "for his analysis of trade patterns and location of economic activity" Hayek and Friedman are also Nobel Prize laureates, but I suspect you would mind the appeal to authority if someone used that logic against you.

You'd hardly call them functionally retarded though.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:18:50 PM
At 2/24/2013 1:09:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You wouldn't call anyone that, but Paul Krugman isn't necessarily correct in any of his outspoken macro positions based solely on his Nobel prize and teaching position at Princeton.

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:22:08 PM
At 2/24/2013 1:18:50 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/24/2013 1:09:28 PM, darkkermit wrote:

You wouldn't call anyone that, but Paul Krugman isn't necessarily correct in any of his outspoken macro positions based solely on his Nobel prize and teaching position at Princeton.

Correct, but Zackthelibertarian said that.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:53:24 PM
The guy called for a space alien invasion in order to fix the economy. Retards make more sense than this organ of the democratic party.
ZakYoungTheLibertarian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 1:55:43 PM
here's Krugman back in 2002

"To fight this recession the Fed needs"soaring household spending to offset moribund business investment. [So] Alan Greenspan needs to create a housing bubble to replace the Nasdaq bubble."

http://mises.org...

That plan worked out wondefully didn't it? Actually I think I was unduly harsh in comparing Krugman to a retard. Unduly harsh to the retards, that is.
twocupcakes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2013 2:03:01 PM

I was responding to someone who called Krugman a retard. If you are going to criticize Krugman, you better have a more intelligent argument than that. I would not call Hayek or Friedman a retard, but I would give a reasonable critique of their ideas.